Fwd: Lincoln Highway Centennial Weekend RAPIDLY Approaching

  • Sandy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2013
      -----Original Message-----
      From: James McGahan <jemcgahan@...>
      To: Jim McGahan <jemcgahan@...>
      Sent: Sun, Jun 23, 2013 1:45 pm
      Subject: Lincoln Highway Centennial Weekend RAPIDLY Approaching

      Hi, volkswalkers.

      We are excited about the approach of the Lincoln Highway Centennial weekend, and all the walking fun we are going to have in Fremont on Saturday morning, June 29th @ 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. for starting times at the Midland University campus. (Anderson Complex @ 900 North Clarkson).

      We will then motor to Grand Island for a group walk of the G.l. YRE with registration beginning at 5:30 p.m. and on the trail by 6 p.m. as the group. Starting point at Skagway South (1607 South Locust, G.I.)

      And the BIG finale...LH Centenary Volkswalk in Kearney on Sunday, June 30th, with registration from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m (starting at Harmon Park, 31st Street & 7th Avenue)

      As you know, we will be hosting a picnic at the Sertoma Shelter @ 11 a.m. We may start the picnic a bit earlier, if everyone is back from the walk and just millilng around waiting for a DOG and some BEANS. Martha and I are trying to fill up possible shortfalls in picnic items, realizing that several of our guest will be "long distance" folks, and it will be tough for them to make a special salad or barbeque ribs in their motel rooms. We have much bottled water, we have eight twelve packs of Coke and Pepsi products. We have 32 weiners and will be fixing a crockpot of pulled B.B.Q. pork. We will get 32 hotdog buns and 32 hamburger buns, we can feed someone 32 hotdogs AND 32 BBQ's. Son Steve is making a pot of baked beans. We have cheese, relish, catsup, mustard, plates, plastic ware, napkins. We have gathered cookies from Eileen's Cookies, and we have candies for the checkpoints.

      We have a generous offer from Nancy and the Heartland Walkers...coffee and fritters for breakfast, and lasagna for the picnic...coffee pots and coffee cups...table covers for the several tables in the Sertoma Shelter. Phyl Olson and Norma Wessel are bringing a great Lincoln Highway cake for dessert. We have dessert plates for the cake. Other desserts welcome!

      So...you now know where the "holes" are in our picnic items. Hopefully we will have a bit more "meat" and some salads...possibly a bit more dessert fare. Chips!! Use your creative juices. All food assistance will be appreciated.

      Let's make this the BESTEST picnic ever.

      Unless we get too busy to do some sorting, we will bring along the MNTS tote with a gift for eveyone who walks...that in addition to the FREE embroidered six-inch patch...a real beauty. But...don't forget that the walk is NOT free...we will collect the $3 for the walk to help defray the expenses of the day.

      PLEASE do ask questions, if this is not entirely clear. You have my email jemcgahan@... . See the attached PDF for a LH Centennial Celebration Schedule for Kearney events and a couple of other interesting LH items.

      See you in Fremont and/or Grand Island and/or Kearney!

      Jim