WA Lacey 17 Feb Celebratory Walk for I-5 Bridge Ribbon Cutting

  • Dale Tucker
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2007
      17 Feb is a great day to join the Capitol Volkssport Club and AVA President Shirley Lindberg in Lacey to celebrate the completion of the Chehalis Western Trail over I-5. Everyone is invited to mark the occasion by group walking YRE 950 from Lacey Safeway at Carpenter Rd. and Pacific to South Sound Mall to observe the public ceremony at 2:00 p.m. Have heard that Gov. Chris Gregoire will be the one to cut the ribbon. How cool would it be if lots of us showed up in our club shirts and jackets to help mark this occasion? Is this not a great opportunity to advertise volkssporting?

      If you would like to help us "Bridge the Gap" and show your colors, please meet at the Lacey Safeway at 1:00. We will walk together to the public ceremony at South Sound Center at 2:00, then cross the new bridge and complete the remainder of our 10 Km walk. The YRE route has been changed a bit to accomodate this occasion.

      Volkssporters can receive event and distance credits, along with the presidential stamp. Washington State Challenge credit is available for cemeteries, monuments, colleges, and towns.

      This new I-5 bridge will enable cyclists and pedestrians to cross I-5 between South Sound Center and Martin Way without having to detour to Lilly Rd. or Sleater-Kinney Rd. An at-grade pedestrian crossing on Martin Way will make crossing that street safer and easier too. Although the CVC has temporarily retired the YRE on the Chehalis Western, predict that it will be back next year with lots of distance options. Stay tuned to that one.

      Start: 1:00 on 17 Feb.

      Location: Safeway Food and Drug, 6200 Pacific Ave. SE, Lacey

      Directions: From I-5 southbound, take exit 109. Turn left on Martin Way. Northbound, take exist 109, turn right on Martin Way. Both turn right on Carpenter Rd. Safeway is on the left, just before Pacific Ave.

      Point of contact: Susan Berry, lsberry@... or 360-491-7266

      See you on the Lacey trail!
      Bonnie Tucker

    • John Z Wetmore
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2007
        At 11:45 PM 2/2/07, Dale Tucker wrote:

        >17 Feb is a great day to join the Capitol Volkssport Club and AVA
        >President Shirley Lindberg in Lacey to celebrate the completion of
        >the Chehalis Western Trail over I-5. Everyone is invited to mark the
        >occasion by group walking YRE 950 from Lacey Safeway at Carpenter
        >Rd. and Pacific to South Sound Mall to observe the public ceremony
        >at 2:00 p.m. Have heard that Gov. Chris Gregoire will be the one to
        >cut the ribbon. How cool would it be if lots of us showed up in our
        >club shirts and jackets to help mark this occasion? Is this not a
        >great opportunity to advertise volkssporting?
        -----------------

        It is a great way to show off your volkssport colors. It is also a
        great way to show your support for facilities like this. If the
        governor sees public support for trails, bridges, and sidewalks, he
        is more likely to think of them when he makes policy decisions.

        John Z Wetmore
        john@...
        Producer of "Perils For Pedestrians"
        A television series on satellite, cable, and the Internet.
        www.pedestrians.org
        DISH Network 9411 - The Universityhouse Channel
        Tuesdays
        9:30 pm Eastern / 8:30 Central / 7:30 Mountain / 6:30 Pacific
        Public Access Cable Stations:
        http://www.pedestrians.org/tv.htm
        Google Video:
        http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=%22Perils+For+Pedestrians%22
        Broadband Internet access recommended.

        Avoid being caught in my ISP's SPAM filter.
        --- Use plain text.
        --- Include a subject.