Lost Colony of Roanoke Investigaation Underway

  • ljcrain2
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 12, 2007
      It is not widely known, but some of John White's Colonists, later known as the Lost Colonists were reportedly Welsh. Many researchers believe that some of these people survived and formed alliances with the Indians as time went by. Groups were found 300 years later speaking Elizabethan English. Some Welsh speakers were also reported in various instances. These people bore many of the same or similar surnames as the members of the Lost Colony.

      A new effort to solve the mystery of the Lost Colony is underway, using historical records, migration patterns, oral histories and the latest scientific archaeological tools of the 21st century, including DNA. This Blog will bring you the news from The Lost Colony Center for Science and Research in the form of announcements and guest author articles as this endeavor unfolds.

      You can read more about it here, including the names of interest. If any of you have information about the possible Welsh background of the Colonists, it would be very much appreciated.

      Thank you so much.

      Janet Crain and Penny Ferguson
      Searching for the Lost Colony Blog
      Editors
    • Guy Sloop
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 12, 2007
        I thought this was very interesting, I live in North Carolina were the Lost Colony was, this mystery has always been interesting to me.
        I did not know that some of the Lost Colony people were of Welsh decent, interesting.
        Some say that the Lumbee Indians that live in the Eastern part of North Carolina was the Indian Tribe that the Lost Colony intermixed with and became Lumbee Indians also, if you look at some Lumbee Indians, they have a European look to them.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
          I would really appreciate some of you looking through the names of
          interest found here:

          http://www.the-lost-colony.blogspot.com/

          and reporting which names you consider to be Welsh.

          It was David Beers Quinn, author of several highly respected books
          about the Lost Colony of Roanoke, who stated some of the colonists
          were Welsh.

          Janet Lewis Crain

          --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "Guy Sloop" <Welshdragon62@...>
          wrote:

          > I thought this was very interesting, I live in North Carolina were
          the Lost Colony was, this mystery has always been interesting to me.
          > I did not know that some of the Lost Colony people were of Welsh
          decent, interesting.
          > Some say that the Lumbee Indians that live in the Eastern part of
          North Carolina was the Indian Tribe that the Lost Colony intermixed
          with and became Lumbee Indians also, if you look at some Lumbee
          Indians, they have a European look to them.

        • Kristen Frederick
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
            Evans John 1585-1586
            Griffyn Rowland 1585-1586
            Jonas [?] 1586
            Jones Griffen 1587
            Jones Jane 1587
            Jones John 1587
            Matthew John 1587
            Morgan Captain Mathew 1586
            Powell Edward 1586
            Powell Edward 1587
            Powell Wenefrid 1587
            Vaughan Captain 1585-1586
            Vaughan Captain John 1586
            Williams David 1585-1586

            Here are my suggestions for suspected Welsh heritage of the Roanoke Colonists.

            Kristen Frederick
            FTDNA Kit # 74902
            GenBank EF581833

          • Janet Crain

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
                I know that one of my family surnames is Evans. In the
                late 1600's one of my ancestors, John Evans, lived in
                Brunswick County.

                Anita
                --- Janet Crain <ljcrain2@...> wrote:

                > Kristen; Thank you!!!
                >
                > Evans John 1585-1586
                > Griffyn Rowland 1585-1586
                > Jonas [?] 1586
                > Jones Griffen 1587
                > Jones Jane 1587
                > Jones John 1587
                > Matthew John 1587
                > Morgan Captain Mathew 1586
                > Powell Edward 1586
                > Powell Edward 1587
                > Powell Wenefrid 1587
                > Vaughan Captain 1585-1586
                > Vaughan Captain John 1586
                > Williams David 1585-1586
                >
                > Here are my suggestions for suspected Welsh heritage
                > of the Roanoke
                > Colonists.

                BARNES & NOBLE ONLINE PURCHASE - NOTES AND DOCUMENTS OF FREE PERSONS OF COLOR: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=9v5Ox3pAni&isbn=1411603338&itm=1

                Purchase Site for Tape of Anita Wills on Book TV:
                http://www.c-spanstore.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_video_info&products_id=188914-1

                I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all
                else falls away.
                ~ Oriah Mountain Dreamer~

                CREE INDIAN PROPHECY:

                ONLY AFTER THE LAST TREE HAS BEEN CUT DOWN,
                ONLY AFTER THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN POISONED,
                ONLY AFTER THE LAST FISH HAS BEEN CAUGHT,
                ONLY THEN WILL YOU FIND THAT MONEY CANNOT BE EATEN.
              • mwwalsh
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 23, 2007
                  --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "ljcrain2" <ljcrain2@...> wrote:

                  > It is not widely known, but some of John White's Colonists, later
                  known as the Lost Colonists were reportedly Welsh. Many researchers
                  believe that some of these people survived and formed alliances with
                  the Indians as time went by. Groups were found 300 years later
                  speaking Elizabethan English. Some Welsh speakers were also reported
                  in various instances. These people bore many of the same or similar
                  surnames as the members of the Lost Colony.
                  > http://www.the-lost-colony.blogspot.com/
                  >
                  > Thank you so much.
                  >
                  > Janet Crain and Penny Ferguson
                  > Searching for the Lost Colony Blog
                  > Editors

                  This is quite interesting. Could be red herring, but it might really
                  be a connection. I have a Welsh (possibly mixed with Norman) descent
                  pre-1170 and I personally don't have any lineage to the lost colony.

                  However, I recently found my only 12 for 12 Y DNA match (other than my
                  direct family) in Ysearch. His surname is Turner and he can trace his
                  paternal lineage back to a Turner in Georgia (b. abt 1789) who fought
                  in the War of 1812. In passing conversion, he told me he once
                  received an email that his Y DNA test indicated he descended from the
                  Roanoke/Croatan tribe. That was the only reason he had his DNA tested
                  in the first place. A researcher (another Turner (female)) working on
                  the lost colony asked him to.

                  I'll contact him on this. Anyway, it does lead some credence that
                  their were Welsh people in the lost colony.

                  Michael W. Walsh
                • ljcrain2
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 25, 2007
                    Michael; Thank you! I would appreciate that.

                    Janet Crain