Re: [walesdna] Re: Locate Gen groups

  • Russell Hathway
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 9, 2010
      Hello Rusty, Rich and Tom,

      This link might help:-

      http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/index.publisha

      It's essentially our local telephone directory - you can type in a name/surname and locality and it'll give you a list with that surname for quite a large radius. It obviously doesn't include those people who choose to be 'ex-directory' for privacy reasons.

      Rusty, as you are already aware, it's extremely difficult to trace Welsh ancestry (I've temporarily given up for the time being, but will resume at some point). Unless they had a royal/noble bloodline, getting a paper trail going back to the 15th Century is likely to be extremely difficult, though not impoosible I guess. Vaughan is actually a fairly common Welsh name.

      If my memory serves me correctly, they were quite a notable Welsh Catholic family in southeast Wales, in particularly, around Abergavenny in Monmouthshire. Although in neighbouring Monmouthsire,  Abergavenny is just down the road from Talgarth - take a look on google earth.

      (don't quote me on this, but I *think* a Vaughan family were active Catholic supporters at the time of the reformation in nearby Abergavenny was staunchly [but secretly] catholic despite the ensuing persecutions that were underway. Does this ring any bells with your family?).

      My advice would therefore be to extend your search to also include Monmouthshire.

      The guys here are really helpful, and this is probably the place to look for a papertrail and a willing volunteer. Why not make a post here too?

      A word of warning, the site's moderator is a skeptic of genetic genealogy, but don't let that put you off joining and posting - he's actually extremely helpful with papertrails. He's accumulated a large collection of material and has busily transcribed reams of material pertaining to Monmouthshire.

      Unfortunately, at this very time, he's just recovering from quite a serious illness, and to boot, his rootsweb site (where all the data was transcribed) has been temporarily pulled for 'non-compliance'. It's a shame, I'm hoping it's back with us shortly.

      There is a sister site, but it's under construction:-
      http://www.monfh.org.uk/

      Two other places where you might get some joy by good old fashioned letters or even emails, could be the Gwent and Powys Family History Societies (Covering the historic counties of Monmouthshire and Breconshire respectively). They have quarterly journals, perhaps you can join and get a letter published or write a paragraph in the 'help wanted' section.

      http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wlsgfhs/
      http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wlspfhs/

      Hope that helps.

      Best wishes,

      Russell,
      Blaenau Gwent, S. Wales

      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 11, 2010

        July 11, 2010

        Thanks to David, Rich, Don, Russell, and Tom. You guys really came through for me. From your suggestions, I have etched out a plan.

        Goal: To identify a person in Wales with closely connected 67 marker DNA to the Vaughan modal in the Vaughan/Vaughn Project or the Stephens/Vaughan Project and seek to coordinate a paper trail to connect to a common Wales ancestor.

        Plan:

        1.    Search under International 411 under selected towns for Vaughan/Vaughan. Select 24 names each to call to see what results. The request will be to identify someone doing Vaughan family genealogy.

        a.    Targarth

        b.    Monmouthshire

        c.    Breconshire

        2.    Upon identifying such a person/group, begin an email dialogue to select a Vaughan male who likely connects or who has a paper trail to Vaughans in Wales, perhaps some who left for the Americas in 1600-1700.

        3.    The first source for names/numbers shall be http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/index.publisha

        5.    I have submitted an inquiry to http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wlsgfhs/Contact.htm

        6.    I have submitted an inquiry to http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wlspfhs/Pages/Enquiries.html

        7.    Below is the paragraph I am submitting to state my interest. If any other suggestions come to mind, please submit them. Thanks especially to Russell who apparently resides in Cardiff and who submitted these links.

        BTW, I have already learned there are more Vaughans in Monmouthshire than in a comparable area here.

        I am Rusty Vaughan residing in Annapolis, Maryland, USA. My oldest known Vaughan relative is William Vaughan b. 1721 in Hanover, Virginia, USA. I am connected by DNA with as many Stephens and Hooper as I am Vaughan. That connection has been estimated to have occurred in South Wales prior to 1700. I am seeking a male Vaughan in Wales who has some paper trail to Vaughans prior to 1800 and with whose DNA we can compare.

        My DNA is with FTDNA. I am in the Vaughan/Vaughn project and am co-admin for the Stephens/Vaughan/Hooper project with FTDNA. I am co-admin of the Stephens/Vaughan/Hooper Yahoo group.

      • r_clarkson@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 12, 2010

          Hello Rusty

           Very well thought out. However, there is a "terror" factor here. Many people in Britain cringe at the word "DNA".

           Perhaps something along the lines of

           " Congaratulations! You have won a free DNA sampling kit ! Actually, this prize as awardable to one person who can trace his/ her ancestry back to 1800 in Wales.

           I am the son of President Patrice Lumumba of the Congo, and we have set aside 150 gazillion pounds for research, just for you ! Please send your checking account number soonest, so we can transfer the money ".

           Joking aside, perhaps a very lowball approach at first, and then get into the DNA project later. I think it would be best to

          1. establish contact

          2. develop a friendly relationship online

          3. Casually mention advances in DNA genealogy

          4.offer to pay for

          an individual willing to spit into a swab.

          Its like a first date, not a good idea to reveal too much :-)

            Good luck mate

          Rich

          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 12, 2010
            Ha ha ha! Yeah, I'd tend to agree with Rich on this one: we're a skeptical bunch here in the UK, especially in Wales! Many people here, if they received a phonecall would automatically think 'SCAM'!

            Rusty, if you do plan to call people here in Wales,  (as Rich has already said), why not ask if they know of any relatives tracing their family tree,  explain you're doing the same in the States, and leave your email address and phone number. Like in the US, Family History is big business here and increasingly popular, you never know, you might strike lucky.

            I'd also agree with Rich's comments on not mentioning the 'DNA' thing just yet.....wait a while before suggesting that one!

            Genetic genealogy is not popular here in the UK. There is a big lobby here against DTC testing.

            The uninformed might think SCAM, or worse still, associate genealogical 'DNA' databases for with that of the UK's  Criminal DNA Database  (biggest in Europe I think!), so tread carefully and stress the confidentiality issue.

            There was an uproar a short while ago about people's DNA remaining on the criminal database, despite their innocence being proven. (The police have been testing practically everyone arrested I believe). The other thing they might be concerned of of health issues, which obviously for Y-Chromosomes is not applicable.

            One last thing, the Monmouthshire Yahoo group - as I said might be a slight delay in your 'application', their admin is convalescing from a serious illness but has approved other admins.

            Sorry for going on a bit, but I hope this background helps in your search - personally, if someone had rang me offering a test I'd be over the moon! ;)

            Good Luck!

            Russell

            4.    I have applied to join the Yahoo Group in centered in Monmouthshire. http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/monfh/ . Am awaiting acceptance.

[...]

          • Rusty Vaughan
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 12, 2010

              Rich, your point is well taken and is perhaps the best advice. Unfortunately that is not my personality… to a fault….little patience. I am a make-the-solution guy. I thrive on adrenaline and love to see things move fast with excitement. That will cause me likely to miss the better opportunity of whom you speak.

              What I had hoped to cause was to connect with a group or genealogy club who could check us out group to group and without anyone risking their identity, if that were a concern. There are ways your local clubs could administer the process and no one would need to know the individual if that were a problem. We are reluctant to give money for testing to an person we don’t know but we could well work thru FTDNA and a club.

              I am at a loss as to how much DNA profiling already exists in Wales. It could be that there are numbers relevant to our interest that exist in some database and would not require an individual identity nor a cost to get merged into our chart of numbers.

              Additionally, there are charts   of  Vaughan and Stephens related DNA at http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Ed_Martin_WalesSWEng/default.aspx

              And at http://www.vaughan-vaughn.org/dna-testing/results.htm . As can be seen, some have chosen to identify the tested person, some have not.

              Yours is still the best way but, as you likely know, Genealogists conduct research over long spans of time. I submit some of those who require that time will find us here still, when they are comfortable. BUT, I hope we are much further down the path…. And have, by then, built friendships across the ocean.

              I appreciate your thoughts.

              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 12, 2010

                Rusty; Are you on Facebook?

                Susan Rosine has made excellent contacts with persons in Wales.

                There is a Wales DNA section which she set up.

                When looking for people to test, whatever the criteria, I just say, a partial scholarship may be available. If you want to say full of course that is up to you. But dangle the bait a bit until you know more. :-)

                Janet Crain

                To accomplish somewhat of the softer approach you are suggesting, I would invite anyone interested to join either of our Yahoo groups just to lurk and observe. There is http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Vaughanpio neers/?yguid= 46534484

                And there is http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/StephensVa ughan/?yguid= 46534484

                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 12, 2010

                  Russell and Rich, please keep it up. You call it “going on”, I call it explaining the UK perspective. If I get to the phone calling, I have no idea right now how I would conduct it but you two are a tremendous help in my developing my opening remarks. Those are all really good points.

                  One thought I had was to write and article or run an ad (if it is cheap) in a local access site or magazine or newspaper. In that we can give an email or even a local genealogy contact from whom they can get information.

                  Our story is interesting to me. Eddie in Kansas, Ed in Florida, and me in Maryland have never met, yet our DNA makes us close cousins. Our surnames are all different. We have been working together on this project for over a year. We are not scientists. Our communicating has caused us to realize a number of people with different surnames but with close DNA. It is from that our FTDNA sponsored project evolved. We are confident that as close as our DNA is, we will be able to track to a very small community in South Wales from where we all originated. That is exciting to us. Several are already planning a visit but don’t yet know the destination.

                  Even if the DNA doesn’t evolve at first, we all have names of the person or the child who came here from Wales. You guys are our missing connections. It surely would be neat of someone there who shares our enthusiasm and is connected as well, could become the 4th communicator and the Wales connection for the group.

                  Pardon MY going on and on.

                  I have a long drive tonight and must get on the road.

                  Rusty in Maryland

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 12, 2010

                    Rusty

                     Your point is well taken. One has a resposibility ( perhaps even legal) to explain where evrything is goin, warts and all.

                    As you are acting as admin on this, this is definitely the way to go. My response was a bit tongue in cheek... but it could very well be a bit of a "dead" end.

                    Again

                     good luck

                    Rich

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 12, 2010

                       I once sent an e mail to the Chelmsford Gazzette  ( ?)in Essex, attempting to place an add for any " Clarkson" names willing to take a DNA test...

                      the response was really NO ! ( loud)

                      Apparently there are legal problems even in advertising this.

                      Rich

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 12, 2010
                        I am a  member of 7  local  family history societies  three of which are in Wales all of which  produce at least three journals each year. I  have seen  advertisements for individuals of  a particular surname to volunteer to take a DNA test for a the benefit of that surname project. As I have stated previously the way to go is to start at the society level. In the case of Gwent covering the Monmouthshire Area there are 19 members studying the surname Vaughan all but 1 are contactable by e-mail the address of  which are available on line. Surely one should start there but I agree do not mention the  test at first but get them interested to learn more about the origins of the name.

                        David

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 12, 2010

                          for Gwent FHS Vaughans:-

                          http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wlsgfhs/interests/v.htm#n5

                          But looks like they might not have updated in a while ....my details are not there when I checked, despite joining less than 6 months ago! There maybe more!

                          As for Powys FHS:- no searchable interests page, but contacts can be found here:-

                          http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wlspfhs/Pages/Members_Interests.html

                          BW,

                          Russell

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 13, 2010
                            Yes. On Facebook. Easy to search Rusty Vaughan. I am traveling this week but will access Susans info when I return.

                            Good ideas. Partial is better. Goes further.

                            Sent from my iPhone on the go!
                            Twitter me @ Rusty_Maryland

                            http://www.facebook .com/#!/group. php?gid=95845841 347&ref=search

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 13, 2010
                              Hmmmm. It seems the Wales custom is to group by geography. In USA, we are grouping more often by surname. Perhaps, if I could get a group focusing not just on the Stephens Vaughan Hooper connection but on the bridge, we would learn our roots and the Wales people would learn where cousin Ralph disappeared to in 1720.

                              My grandfather was John Wesley Vaughan. That is not a Catholic name but could be a clue.

                              Sent from my iPhone on the go!
                              Twitter me @ Rusty_Maryland

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 13, 2010
                                Most of our research involves paper trail. Perhaps if I could find a society to join in Wales, we could at least share our olden Vaughan family names to see if we might connect to families there with missing members.

                                We are finding Stephens and Hoopers often clustered with Vaughans in early communities here. Our Stephens Vaughan Hooper yahoo group would be a good place for  Wales person to join to pursue such a discussion.

                                It is difficult for us to link to Wales without help from researchers there. I would love to contact those 19 Vaughans directly.

                                Rusty
                                Maryland in USA

                                Sent from my iPhone on the go!
                                Twitter me @ Rusty_Maryland

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 14, 2010

                                     I took my own advice and went to Int 411, and got BT directory. The ad on the Brit tel site was for... wait for it...

                                    23AndMe

                                    http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/search/residential/search.publisha

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 15, 2010
                                      This link works better than the one I had. Thanks.

                                      I'll generate a better response when I return to my Maryland home from business travels in North Carolina, USA.

                                      Sent from my iPhone on the go!
                                      Twitter me @ Rusty_Maryland

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 26, 2010

                                        Noa Gabay, a 12 year old girl from Israel, won first prze at the Welsh Eistedfodd this year. She sent me this clip, and asks me what I think.

                                        I am stunned

                                        Rich

                                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TMkcJR9AgE&feature=email

                                      • sandyfoster morrison
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 26, 2010
                                          Thanks for this video! Such a gifted young girl. Can you imagine the lifetime of creating beauty on her harp which she has before her?

                                          I've never heard Welsh spoken and hearing it on the video gave me a jolt to my solar plexus. I sent it on to my eldest daughter who along with me, has a bit of the "fey" about her as my mother did. All my life I grew up hearing about "that dark brooding Welsh blood" and "being a bit fey" as the cause any weirdness. Our Longview, Texas family surname is Flewellen, and only as lore, never fact, I often heard the name had been changed from Llewellen. Only now--and Mother gone since 1996-- as I'm seriously looking at our geneology do I learn the spelling was probably Llewlyn.

                                          Sorry, long story here...but thanks....the video reignited acute interest in how without ever hearing Welsh or setting food in Wales, just hearing a language can give me such a jolt! Surely, it's magic (smile).

                                          Anyone else have similar dark (since when is intuition bad????) rememberings...

                                          Sandy Morrison

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jul 26, 2010

                                            Hello Sandy

                                            The girl playing had the same effect on me. Like an ancient tune, triggering something.

                                             Yes, I know about what you speak of. My sister, mother and myself have always had " the sight", and that is really why I took up DNA. In one book I have read, the author thinks that people that are linked to " things that go bump in the night", have a natural occuring acid in their DNA, probably linked in type to Shamanic inducers, such as Psylocibin mushrooms and the like. I spoke with DeCOdeME, and they do not test for this particular marker. ( I have the name somewhere). These are NOT just visions, but actual communication with an intelligent  being, perhaps part of the Self, unconcious mind, or deceased ancestor, or through a recording in the DNA, handed down through generations, or all of the above. Some would call it spiritualism... but it works outside of religion... it is method, a mechanical entraining of the left and right hemispheres ( Bi cameral) of the brain.

                                              I was tested about 9years ago by a neurologist for visions I was having, and he ascertained that they came from a source "outside of the self". This is something that needs to be researched.

                                            The acid is DMT ( Graham Hancock) " Supernatural", and is also brought up by Narby, a scientific work called The Cosmic Serpent... both works look at the links between certain things... such as intertwined snakes, the caduceus, and the symbol for DNA.... in other words, our teachers are recorded in our DNA, which we can play back at will. Sometimes we see truths as symbols only, and this is one of them.

                                              I think there is something in Caesars statement, that the Druids schools were in Britain. The last Druid school was run by a family, can't think of the name.... oh yes, O'Cleary, O'Cleragh... British Clarkson :-) that was in Ireland of course.anyway, feel free to e mail me privately on these things ( or anyone else)

                                            r_clarkson@...

                                            Rich

                                            Yahoo! Groups

                                            .

                                          • dcleatond@aol.com

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jul 26, 2010
                                                Hi Sandy,  As you may know "Flewellen" was the name used by Shakespeare in his  great play on " Henry 5th" and found in Librarys  World Wide. I live in Powys Mid Wales,  but we never had Welsh in our schools here in my days there over 70 years ago. But we did the great plays like "Henry 5th" and others in the series by Shakespeare,  and  there are not many Harps around these days, yet they are still made in Wales.....

                                                Have you got " Under Milk Wood" by Dylan Thomas? - a great play with Richard Burton the famous Welsh actor and Filmstar  in USA,etc, and one that is very true to the Welsh life before after the WW2 War??

                                                With Best Wishes,   Dennis Cleaton,      dcleatond@...

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jul 27, 2010

                                                     I sent a compliment to the harpist, and got this response

                                                    Hi,
                                                    Thanks so much for taking the time to listen to my video.
                                                    Thanks for the kind comments - that's made my day!
                                                    Noa

                                                    Rich

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jul 28, 2010
                                                      Thanks for this info Dennis. It's been years since I've read Shakespeare but you've
                                                      piqued my interest. Yes, to Burton. He had the stuff. Have not read Under Milk Wood by Dylan. Will do.

                                                      I'm waiting on my full-meal-deal DNA results with anticipation of locating the specific physical location of my tribe. Although I haven't yet tracked down the across-the-pond ancestry of my maternal Flewellen grandfather I will forever feel connected to Wales through the myths my mother and grandmother shared. I can only guess what I'll feel when I finally set foot on Welsh soil.

                                                      I appreciate everyone on this site! Thanks for all your help...

                                                      Sandy