New Member

  • richardclarkson@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 24, 2010
      Hello all
      I am Richard Clarkson, and my family is from Chelmsford, Essex. I am in the US 45 years through a 10 year stay down north in Canada. I applied to join the Wales/ Cymru project, as I have been determined to be a new U-152 A1 ( La Tene Briton). Through the new FtDNA Family Finder, my missing link to a Cumbric area was through 5th cousin matches in the Strathclyde area, which actually led me to a marriage certificate between the matching surnames. ( I am 67, and ny Grandfather was 47 when my father was born, so 5 generations is about 1760).
      I am learning the mother tongue... and am ALMOST confident that I have found my heritage :-)
      Thanks to the moderator for approving my application.
      Rich
      4jdg5
    • Janet Crain
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 24, 2010
        Great to have you, Rich!

        Janet Lewis Crain

      • r_clarkson@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 24, 2010

          "whew" ... Thanks Janet

          Rich

          > I am Richard Clarkson, and my family is from Chelmsford, Essex. I am
          > in the US 45 years through a 10 year stay down north in Canada. I
          > applied to join the Wales/ Cymru project, as I have been determined to
          > be a new U-152 A1 ( La Tene Briton). Through the new FtDNA Family
          > Finder, my missing link to a Cumbric area was through 5th cousin
          > matches in the Strathclyde area, which actually led me to a marriage
          > certificate between the matching surnames. ( I am 67, and ny
          > Grandfather was 47 when my father was born, so 5 generations is about
          > 1760).
          > I am learning the mother tongue... and am ALMOST confident that I have
          > found my heritage :-)
          > Thanks to the moderator for approving my application.
          > Rich
          > 4jdg5

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              walesdna-digest@yahoogroups.com
              walesdna-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • leegjones@lycos.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 25, 2010
            Croeso!

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 26, 2010

              Another Jones, I presume :-)

               Thank you

              Rich

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 26, 2010
                You presume correctly.

                My father's line first appears in Goochland County Virginia - that would be Thomas Jones and his sons John and William (original thinkers our Welsh ancestors) - in 1740 when he patented 400 acres for each of them. Other than a letter from his great granddaughter to a cousin stating that they came from Wales, I've got nothing but DNA to go on. Of course, my DNA being R-P312* gets me to about the bronze age somewhere in western Europe. So, it's going to take a few more DNA discoveries before I nail down the hamlet in Wales which that Jones line left behind for the new world.

                Lee Gordon Jones
                Falls Church, Virgina

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 26, 2010
                  +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=*
                  Reply Requested: Tuesday, April 27, 2010
                  +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=*
                  Hi. I feel your emotions. I'm adopted and am in search of my paternal roots. The DNA has confirmed me a Powell with Welsh roots and indicates some links to the Powells that began our nation but past that the closest I've been able to come to a finding is a slight indication of Kentucky roots from about 200 yrs ago. My closest matches are both 35/37 and it appears that they don't cross within about the last 400 yrs. Near as I can tell anyway. So, I feel your emotions, good and bad. But answers will come and the people I've met through this thing have been wonderful so it's a win for me no matter which way I slice the cake. Welcome aboard and I wish you the very best of luck. Seek the people in these projects-they're good people and whatever they can do they will. One of these days the winds are going to switch directions again and that will give me a third point of reference and from that I'll be able to pinpoint one of the trees in this "grove." So climb aboard. Sit down. Buckle up and HANG ON! Cheerio! (Okay. Pardon the clumsy attempt but it's well meant)
                  David

                  David E.Smith
                  TDOT/Reg #3/Right of Way/Excess Land
                  6601 Centennial Bvld, 2nd Floor
                  Nashville, TN 37243
                  David.E.Smith@...
                  (615) 350-4229
                  fax (615) 350-4291/4410

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 26, 2010

                    Hello again Lee

                     Well, you actually trace back to Wales on a paper record. I was born in Essexand my family comes from there back to 1789 where we appear from parts unknown. However, my DNA has been found to be U-152 A1, La tene Briton, which puts me probably in the Arras culture of Yorkshire,... perhaps descending from " The Ironmaster", the man who brought ironmaking, Celtic art and perhaps Etruscan science into Britain. Strangely enough, a namesake, Bernard Clarkson, excavated the Aras site in about 1831, showing that these people came directly from the La Tene area of the Alps, bypassing the Parisi area in France.

                     Then, of course, in time, our Welsh/ British tribes were forced into the Cumbric areas and south to present day Wales. Perhaps at some point we might identify tribal links.... But my link came through FtDNA Family Friends, where I found 5th cousin links to the Strathclyde area, and then found a marriage link from a female on my side into the Clan Donald ( a 5th cousin match) in that same area.

                     The La Tene Briton family ( three names so far) seem to link to Clackmannon in Lothian at the Firth of Forth... but I can't prove that yet ( getting close though)

                     The REALLY neat thing, is that my old friend ( Parker)who is a friend I have been corresponding with for perhaps 8 years, is one of these. We had the same father in 1300 AD.... really amazing. And HE is very likely linked to the Parker Commanche of Texas... linking the Welsh to the Commanche ( Parker tribe)

                     Yes, and I am trying to learn Welsh .. I love the language

                    Bore Da !

                    check this out.

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKX4m_l1_Qk&feature=related

                    Welsh is apparently the closest language we have to the ancient Britonic dialect... including the La Tene Alpine areas.

                    Rich

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 26, 2010

                      Hello David

                       Exactly right. I often think that the emotions I have of needing a sense of belonging must be minimal, compared to a person who is adopted. I think this DNA idea is a godsend myself.

                       About 10 years ago I thought I had found a link to the Welsh/ Britons, but the DNA idea was full of errors at that time. until recent findings, I have been told I am Danish, Viking, Saxon, and Roman.. even identifying the area of origin and maybe the Legion inferred.  Of course, any of this may still turn out to be correct, but, I doubt it.

                       I am Welsh in personality and heart, and have always been " a little bit different" than the norm. We tend to be non aggressive or ego oriented, we are philosophers and have an inherrent feel for the sacred, and doing " the right thing". I think we carry a bit of the Druid in all of us.

                       Here is a link to the Royal Welch Fusiliers that I found fascinating. The drumming is very celtic in nature... and builds up to a rhythm that must have been inherrent in our ancestors blood... one can almost hear Boudicca rallying the trh troops agains Roman outrages.

                       love this stuff

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMUG-ZoO4Mc&feature=related&ytsession=Pfrg633E8lfgkVXmhf44qAZEhA4CvNHEI2qSMDLRKgte8A4lNA7pg7IWd5rTh3HwZyIXoGA_vsXI7_uUGMI7c_LzdOzQ6wcrpcmzQkzhYK-fJpmgXM5IIU0PJcJLXDvVIlpxFE_V_nv39dAr87Nh-X8aVgpXPikBEu7ZvucHeWq-6nSFQ1WleBWs_oWtADdvhiy1Kh0PvJay1x-U8wxzzP4-1NTged13hQBWwT1j82OU6mzoVxF42BMrhXhzhXsHTh3cS2drcJUMn3rywUn53EyAJXnWLrJRxOU7xIbuXu-ria_WJOUyJrPjAZd0ljl1

                      Rich

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 26, 2010
                        Rich; Three of my great aunts married Parkers from that well known anglo
                        family who were related to Cynthia Parker, mother of Quannah, the
                        Commanche chief. I knew that from way back, but then I found a letter
                        from a great great aunt saying "mother always said we were related to
                        the Parkers". This would have predated the marriages. So that is all I
                        know. And at this late date I have no idea of how we were related. But I
                        was always drawn to Cynthia's sad story.

                        Janet Crain

                        r_clarkson@... wrote:

                        > Hello again Lee
                        >
                        > Well, you actually trace back to Wales on a paper record. I was born
                        > in Essexand my family comes from there back to 1789 where we appear
                        > from parts unknown. However, my DNA has been found to be U-152 A1, La
                        > tene Briton, which puts me probably in the Arras culture of
                        > Yorkshire,... perhaps descending from " The Ironmaster", the man who
                        > brought ironmaking, Celtic art and perhaps Etruscan science into
                        > Britain. Strangely enough, a namesake, Bernard Clarkson, excavated the
                        > Aras site in about 1831, showing that these people came directly from
                        > the La Tene area of the Alps, bypassing the Parisi area in France.
                        >
                        > Then, of course, in time, our Welsh/ British tribes were forced into
                        > the Cumbric areas and south to present day Wales. Perhaps at some
                        > point we might identify tribal links.... But my link came through
                        > FtDNA Family Friends, where I found 5th cousin links to the
                        > Strathclyde area, and then found a marriage link from a female on my
                        > side into the Clan Donald ( a 5th cousin match) in that same area.
                        >
                        > The La Tene Briton family ( three names so far) seem to link to
                        > Clackmannon in Lothian at the Firth of Forth... but I can't prove that
                        > yet ( getting close though)
                        >
                        > The REALLY neat thing, is that my old friend ( Parker)who is a friend
                        > I have been corresponding with for perhaps 8 years, is one of these.
                        > We had the same father in 1300 AD.... really amazing. And HE is very
                        > likely linked to the Parker Commanche of Texas... linking the Welsh to
                        > the Commanche ( Parker tribe)
                        >
                        > Yes, and I am trying to learn Welsh .. I love the language
                        >
                        > Bore Da !
                        >
                        > check this out.
                        >
                        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKX4m_l1_Qk&feature=related
                        > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKX4m_l1_Qk&feature=related>
                        >
                        > Welsh is apparently the closest language we have to the ancient
                        > Britonic dialect... including the La Tene Alpine areas.
                        >
                        > Rich

                      • David.E Smith
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 30, 2010
                          Hi partner,
                          I've been tied up with the office for several days now and I promise to look at this tonight.  Meanwhile, I'm glad to meet you.  David

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 2, 2010
                            Hello all,
                            My name is Richard Lewis, my GGGrandparents (William Lewis and Ann Price/England) were married May 7th 1851 in Blaenavon. The path to me, through them, is William - Abraham (born in Maryland USA) - Rudolf - Richard Sr - me. I'm glad to be here and will help al I can as I have had some internation research done in Wales.
                          • Doris Lewis
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 2, 2010
                              Richard did you have a William Lewis in Wales in 1750?  I need to find a William Lewis in a Haplogroup Ga2.  Sorenson's lab had one years ago listed in Wales but I can't fins him again. Doris Lewis