mtDNA Haplogroup H7

  • Kristen Frederick Lewis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2007
      I've been searching for information on my H subclad, H7 but have failed
      to turn up anything worthwhile. My earliest known maternal ancestor
      was born and raised near Brongwyn, Cardiganshire. Her surname was
      either Davies or Elias...I have conflicting research. It appears that
      H7 is not common in Wales...can anyone confirm this? Is anyone out
      there H7? I've also had my full mega mtDNA test run and have two
      individual mutations which do not show up under any other H subclad.
      Any info is appreciated.

      Kristen
    • ljcrain2
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2007
        Kristen; I will send more later, but in the meantime I found this at Wikipedia:

        Haplogroup U7

        Many European populations lack Haplogroup U7, but its frequency climbs over 4% in the Near East and up to 5% in Pakistan, reaching nearly 10% level in Iranians. In India, haplogroup U7 frequency peaks at over 12% in Gujarat, the westernmost state of India, while for the whole of India its frequency stays around 2%. Expansion times and haplotype diversities for the Indian and Near and Middle Eastern U7 mtDNAs are strikingly similar. The possible homeland of this haplogroup spans Indian Gujarat and Iran because from there its frequency declines steeply both to the east and to the west. If the origin were in Iran rather than in India, then its equally high frequency as well as diversity in Gujarat favors a scenario whereby U7 has been introduced to the coastal western India either very early, or by multiple founders.

        Very interesting!

        Janet Crain

      • Kristen Frederick
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2007
          Janet-
          This is a description for U7, not H7. I've already seen all the
          internet descriptions of H7, I was mainly wondering if anyone within
          the Wales DNA group was also H7. Thanks for the info, though,
          Best
          Kristen