L159 SNP testing and the 17-14-10 cluster

  • Michael Walsh
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2009
      Has anyone in the 17-14-10 (old Wales Modal 1) cluster identified by Robert Hughes been engaged in the Walk The Y or L159 testing?

      Several people from the Leinster/Irish Sea Modal group have shown up as L159+ whereas others in R-L21* (which is where 17-14-10 sits) are L159-.

      The significance is that I have found a loose similarity between Leinster and 17-14-10 haplotypes. This may mean nothing, but on the other hand, these folks are right across the Irish Sea from each other.
    • basenji_luvr@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2009
        The only person in the Wales DNA project who is in WTY is Picton, and he is not R-L21.
        I will check and see if anyone has ordered L159.
        Susan

        From: "Michael Walsh" <mwwalsh7@...>
        Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 13:55:13 -0000
        To: <walesdna@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [walesdna] L159 SNP testing and the 17-14-10 cluster

        Has anyone in the 17-14-10 (old Wales Modal 1) cluster identified by Robert Hughes been engaged in the Walk The Y or L159 testing?

        Several people from the Leinster/Irish Sea Modal group have shown up as L159+ whereas others in R-L21* (which is where 17-14-10 sits) are L159-.

        The significance is that I have found a loose similarity between Leinster and 17-14-10 haplotypes. This may mean nothing, but on the other hand, these folks are right across the Irish Sea from each other.

      • Susan Rosine
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2009
          We've had only one person test for L159, but they are not in the R haplogroup; they are in I. Kit 110417 positive for the SNP.
          Susan

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 25, 2009
            Mike,
            We have only had one person order the L159.2 test--kit 145178.  He was negative.
            Do you see anyone in our project who you believe should take the test? If so, please post here, and/or let me know.
            Take a look at kit 35874, ysearch QSCQ3.  Are there any new SNPs you think he should test for? That's my dad.
            Susan

            From: "Michael Walsh" <mwwalsh7@gmail. com>
            Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 13:55:13 -0000
            To: <walesdna@yahoogroup s.com>

            Has anyone in the 17-14-10 (old Wales Modal 1) cluster identified by Robert Hughes been engaged in the Walk The Y or L159 testing?

            Several people from the Leinster/Irish Sea Modal group have shown up as L159+ whereas others in R-L21* (which is where 17-14-10 sits) are L159-.

            The significance is that I have found a loose similarity between Leinster and 17-14-10 haplotypes. This may mean nothing, but on the other hand, these folks are right across the Irish Sea from each other.

          • Mike W
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 25, 2009
              Susaan,

              As far as should QSCQ3 - James test for a new SNP?   There are a number of new ones that I'm not sure are applicable.  Of the two most applicable for R-L21*, they are L159.2 and L226.
              The two closest to James with L159.2+, they are both GD of 13:
              BNXND - Owen
              3JJR8 - McLaughlin
              As far as L226+, the closest is a GD of 19:
              VRVZA - Peppers
              Anything is possible? but these two don't look promising for James.

              On the other hand, I do think that someone out of the 17-14-10 (Wales Modal I) group should test for deeper SNP's.  Ideally one should do a Walk The Y.   More specifically, someone out of the group should at least test for L159.  We don't know how widespread it is, but the Leinster group seems to be all L159.2+.   They mostly have DYS448=18  DYS449=30.    The 17-14-10 group is DYS448=17 and DYS449=30.  17 is one more lower than the WAMH modal than 18 so the 17-14-10 guys passed through through a 18-14-10 phase before becoming DYS448=17.

              It's still potluck, but someone out of here should do Walk the Y or at least test for L159.
              PC6Q2 - Evans
              PMJ2F - Reese
              NBCVS - Dicks
              UYZCQ - unknown
              DW8KR - Pugh
              2B579 - Gough
              X64ZY - Pugh
              XZSJY - Pugh
              8MSQC - Roberts
              X3RXH - Pugh

              Mike

              From: "Michael Walsh" <mwwalsh7@gmail. com>
              Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 13:55:13 -0000
              To: <walesdna@yahoogroup s.com>

              Has anyone in the 17-14-10 (old Wales Modal 1) cluster identified by Robert Hughes been engaged in the Walk The Y or L159 testing?

              Several people from the Leinster/Irish Sea Modal group have shown up as L159+ whereas others in R-L21* (which is where 17-14-10 sits) are L159-.

              The significance is that I have found a loose similarity between Leinster and 17-14-10 haplotypes. This may mean nothing, but on the other hand, these folks are right across the Irish Sea from each other.

            • Phylis Deutsch
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 26, 2009
                I'm wondering if you can tell me where the positive L-21 test heralds from?  Is it northern Ireland?  This is kit # 49637 and is my dad-
                William Phillip Vaughan
                R1b1b2a1b5        L11+
                L21+ M126- M153- M160- M173+ M18- M207+ M222- M269+ M343+ M37- M65- M73- P107- P25+ P310+ P311+ P312+ P66- SRY2627- U106- U152- U198-
                Thanks,
                Phylis Vaughn Deutsch

                From: "Michael Walsh" <mwwalsh7@gmail. com>
                Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 13:55:13 -0000
                To: <walesdna@yahoogroup s.com>

                Has anyone in the 17-14-10 (old Wales Modal 1) cluster identified by Robert Hughes been engaged in the Walk The Y or L159 testing?

                Several people from the Leinster/Irish Sea Modal group have shown up as L159+ whereas others in R-L21* (which is where 17-14-10 sits) are L159-.

                The significance is that I have found a loose similarity between Leinster and 17-14-10 haplotypes. This may mean nothing, but on the other hand, these folks are right across the Irish Sea from each other.

              • haroldjdicks

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 26, 2009
                    I don't really know much about this brand new SNP. Mike Walsh seems to think it would be a good idea for people from the 17-14-10 cluster to test for it. Apparently they are the most likely to be positive for it. The cost is $29 and it's on the advanced order menu.
                    Mike, pleaser chime in if you have more insight on this.
                    Happy Thanksgiving to all Americans in this yahoo group!
                    Susan

                    From: haroldjdicks <haroldjdicks@...>
                    Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:33:26 -0400
                    To: <walesdna@yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 26, 2009
                      R-L21 occurs in Ireland, Great Britain and France to a large extent, as well as other western European countries.
                      R-M222 occurs mainly, but not exclusively, in Ireland. Your dad is negative for M222.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 26, 2009
                        Thanks for the reply.  Yes, he was negative for M222, but positive for L21.  I'm guessing the two together (if positive) would smack in the middle of being Irish...
                        But since not, could still be from Ireland, but also Great Britain, or Celtic..
                        Much to learn.
                        Thanks again,
                        Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2009 1:18 PM

                        From: "Michael Walsh" <mwwalsh7@gmail. com>
                        Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 13:55:13 -0000
                        To: <walesdna@yahoogroup s.com>

                        Has anyone in the 17-14-10 (old Wales Modal 1) cluster identified by Robert Hughes been engaged in the Walk The Y or L159 testing?

                        Several people from the Leinster/Irish Sea Modal group have shown up as L159+ whereas others in R-L21* (which is where 17-14-10 sits) are L159-.

                        The significance is that I have found a loose similarity between Leinster and 17-14-10 haplotypes. This may mean nothing, but on the other hand, these folks are right across the Irish Sea from each other.

                      • mikewww7
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 26, 2009
                          I think people that have some of the key slower moving markers that the Leinster Modal has should consider L159 testing. There may be individuals that don't really fit into any of the known clusters that this may apply to.

                          However, the one known cluster that is a clear cluster and has some commonality with the Leinster (some call it the Irish Sea modal) folks, is the 17-14-10 group. They seem to be a cleanly related group of people so I think that if any one of them tests for L159 that's suffices for a start. If that person comes up L159+ then several more should test, but if that person would be L159-, another one may want to test just to be sure, but I think just one test will tell us a lot.

                          Mike