Exciting results are in for our Welshmen

  • basenji_luvr
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2009
      As many of you may recall, we gathered the funds to have two Welshmen tested during the great sale FTDNA was having for new members. They received the mtDNA test AND the 37 marker Y-DNA test. Finally, all the results are in for both men.

      WILLIAMS, kit 156117, is in haplogroup I2b. I notice that FTDNA has removed that prediction, so I will order a backbone SNP test for him (it's free). But he definitely fits into that haplogroup. It is thought by some that I2b men may have been the inhabitants of the British Isles before the R1b12 folks arrived, so this is an exciting result!!

      EVANS, kit 156335, is predicted to be R1b1b2. What is REALLY exciting is that it seems he fits into the Group One 17-14-10 L21 group. He closely matches with PUGH, DICKS, REESE. I have tentatively put him in that group. We will need to extend his markers out to 67, and do the Deep Clade testing on him to determine if he is indeed a true member of this group.

      Since FTDNA is having a sale on Deep Clade right now, should we go ahead and order that test for him? We'd need to come up with the funds pretty quickly though, since the sale ends tomorrow. The sale price is $71.20. Since I strongly suspect he is R-L21*, we could order just the L21 test. It's not on sale, but it only costs $29.
      Here's the link if anyone is interested in donating for either one of these SNP tests:
      http://www.familytreedna.com/group-general-fund-contribution.aspx
      I will watch the fund, and if we gather enough to order a test for him, I will do it before the sale ends.

      mtDNA results:
      WILLIAMS is in the U5 haplogroup, fairly common in the British Isles and Europe. It is believed to be the oldest mt haplogroup in Europe.

      EVANS is in the T2 haplogroup, also common in the British Isles and Western Europe. It is much younger than U5, and has not been in Europe as long.

      http://www.familytreedna.com/public/WalesDNA/default.aspx
      Susan
    • basenji_luvr

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2009
          Susan; I could be wrong, but when I was going to order the Deep Clade, if I had ordered just the L it would have incurred a $9. transfer fee. So we are looking at $38. versus $71.20.

          For some reason there is no transfer fee for the Deep Clade. I hope there's enough donations to go ahead and get the Deep Clade.

          Janet

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2009
            Hi  I see you mention a backbone SNP test that's free. I have no idea what that is but the fact that it's free caught my attention.
                If possible I would appreciate having that free test.  I wouldn't have any idea how to go about it and would appreciate your doing that for me.   Harold

          • basenji_luvr@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2009
              Sorry you aren't eligible. It's only for men for whom FTDNA can't predict a haplogroup. They do MINIMAL snp testing to determine what major group the man belongs in.

              From: haroldjdicks
              Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 18:21:48 -0300
              To: <walesdna@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3, 2009
                I forgot about the transfer charge; you are correct. It would still be cheaper though. I'll just see if we get any donations by tomorrow evening to determine what, if any, test to order!

                From: "ljcrain"
                Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 14:42:19 -0600
                To: <walesdna@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 5, 2009