Project "People of the British Isles"

  • Nancy Averill
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hi,

      This was on my POWY's list, I thought might be of interest.

      A research group from the Department of Clinical Pharmacology at Oxford
      University
      has been given funding by the Wellcome Trust "...to collect blood
      samples from 3,500 people from rural populations throughout the British
      Isles
      . These will be used to look at the patterns of differences in people's
      genetic make up around the UK. The project will have two purposes, the first
      to help medical research, and the second to shed light on ancient migrations
      within the British Isles."

      Full details of the project, known as 'People of the British Isles', are set
      out on the project website, but basically, the plan is to collect blood
      samples from between 100 and 150 people from about 30 different rural
      regions throughout the UK.
      "To try and make sure that the sample is representative of the area
      throughout the ages, we are looking for people whose parents and
      grandparents were all born in the same locality".

      **If you can trace all four of your grandparents to the same local area**,
      the project team would like to hear from you. Ultimately, they would require
      about half an hour of your time to fill in a brief questionnaire and consent
      form
      , and for you to donate about 20ml of blood.

      To meet with volunteers from Wales, and collect their blood samples, the
      team will be at the Royal Welsh Show near Builth Wells on the 20th-23rd
      July, and at the Pembrokeshire County Show near Haverfordwest on the
      18th-20th August.

      If you are interested in taking part in this research, and if you meet the
      ancestral criteria mentioned above, please contact Tammy Day at
      tammy.day@...

      The project website is at http://www.peopleofthebritishisles.org/

      Nancy

    • Douglas Neslund
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2009
        Interesting results, so far in the British Isles study ...

        4000-
        3970Progress
        Top 10 Regions
        Cumbria314
        Yorkshire277
        North East272
        Cornwall257
        Oxfordshire185
        Sussex/Kent185
        Lincolnshire178
        Northern Ireland174
        Norfolk155
        Devon129

        Douglas
        YSearch ID 2KJBR

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2009
          Oh dear, not many from Wales, then??? That's too bad.