Fw: Re: [DNA-A] U106 project

  • Susan Rosine
    Message 1 of 5 , May 16, 2009
      WOW THIS POST (below) IS ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING. I had to pass it on!

      After reading it, I took a look at all our R1b1b2 men who have tested out to 67 markers. Testing out that far is the only way to test for marker 492. I found that all of our U106 men do indeed have a value of 13 at that marker. And all our P312 and L21 men have a value of 12 at that marker.  Then I looked at the men who have not yet done the R1b1b2 deep clade testing. Most of them have a value of 12. A few have a value of 13. We do have one surname with the value of 11--I'd sure like to know what their subclade would turn out to be if they did the deep clade testing!

      If you are in haplogroup R1b1b2, and you'd like to know what your value at that marker is, please order the 67 marker test THIS WEEK, while it's ON SALE!!!  And, while you're at it, please consider also ordering the deep clade test.
      Susan

      From: William Beauchamp <atheling80@yahoo. com>
      To: DNA-ANTHROGENEALOGY @yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, May 13, 2009, 11:06 PM

      What markers and values indicate one is in the U106 group?

      Thank You.

    • w.l.ming
      Message 2 of 5 , May 16, 2009
        Susan, I read with interest your e-letters and have followed your past instructions.  I am beginning to feel I am a bother with my questions.  I have done my deepclade test and am L21+ R1b1b2a1b5*.   I have checked my DYS# 492 (67 markers) and it is a 12.  What does this all tell me other than I have spent a lot of money.  Again, I am sorry to be of so much trouble but I sure do need some expert help.  Thanks, Bill

        Keep well, Work hard, Trust God.

        William L. Ming

        Message 3 of 5 , May 16, 2009
          I wrote to you directly, but then thought I may as well post to the entire group too.
          Right now we cannot be sure what your haplogroup signifies, other than it appears to be a Celtic or perhaps even a proto-Celtic or Beaker people haplogroup. It is very strong in both Ireland and Wales (and Scotland), although Ireland at this point seems to have more R1b1b2-M222+, which you are not.

          We need so many more men to test--and if they can possibly afford it, we need them to test out to 67 markers and do the deep clade testing. That is the only way we're going to get a clear picture of the genetic makeup of Wales.

          I was fascinated by the trend that overall most R1b-L21, such as yourself, have a value of 12 for that marker, and most U106 have 13. My current pet theory is that most Welsh of R1b1b2 will turn out NOT to be U106, and that U106 will be higher in England. So, when I looked at all our R1b1b2 men who had tested out to 67 markers, but had not yet done the deep clade testing, it was exciting to me to see that very few had the value of 13!!

          Sorry I can't answer your questions--boy I'll be truly excited the day we have enough information so that I can!!!!!!!!!  All I can say is, you are one piece in the giant puzzle, and I thank you very much for spending the money to do full testing. Every person's test helps; every single one!!!
          Susan

          Susan, I read with interest your e-letters and have followed your past instructions.  I am beginning to feel I am a bother with my questions.  I have done my deepclade test and am L21+ R1b1b2a1b5*.   I have checked my DYS# 492 (67 markers) and it is a 12.  What does this all tell me other than I have spent a lot of money.  Again, I am sorry to be of so much trouble but I sure do need some expert help.  Thanks, Bill

          Keep well, Work hard, Trust God.

          William L. Ming

          What markers and values indicate one is in the U106 group?

          Thank You.

        • mwwalsh
          Message 4 of 5 , May 16, 2009
            In Wales, how many (what proportion) of the folks that are DYS492=12 are R-P312* versus R-L21+?
            --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, Susan Rosine <basenji_luvr@...> wrote:

            > I wrote to you directly, but then thought I may as well post to the entire group too.
            > Right now we cannot be sure what your haplogroup signifies, other than it appears to be a Celtic or perhaps even a proto-Celtic or Beaker people haplogroup. It is very strong in both Ireland and Wales (and Scotland), although Ireland at this point seems to have more R1b1b2-M222+, which you are not.
            >
            > We need so many more men to test--and if they can possibly afford it, we need them to test out to 67 markers and do the deep clade testing. That is the only way we're going to get a clear picture of the genetic makeup of Wales.
            >
            > I was fascinated by the trend that overall most R1b-L21, such as yourself, have a value of 12 for that marker, and most U106 have 13. My current pet theory is that most Welsh of R1b1b2 will turn out NOT to be U106, and that U106 will be higher in England. So, when I looked at all our R1b1b2 men who had tested out to 67 markers, but had not yet done the deep clade testing, it was exciting to me to see that very few had the value of 13!!
            >
            > Sorry I can't answer your questions--boy I'll be truly excited the day we have enough information so that I can!!!!!!!!!  All I can say is, you are one piece in the giant puzzle, and I thank you very much for spending the money to do full testing. Every person's test helps; every single one!!!
            > Susan

          • brian swann
            Message 5 of 5 , May 17, 2009
              Message
              Dear William

              I would just reinforce what Susan has said.

              At this moment in time Deep Ancestry testing is a bit like the lottery - no-one quite knows when your combination of SNPs and STRs will enable you to shout "Bingo".

              But without the testing - you cannot play in the game.

              The hope must be that eventually we will get a much better idea of how migration around Europe happened and really how we all fit together before surnames became standardised.  You just have to look at how many surnames there are, and still how few ways we have of characterising the differences between us based on DNA and SNP Testing - to see how far we still have to go.

              Hopefully the various WTY (Walk The Y) tests now underway with FTDNA will add more clues as to where we will be able to go. But we really have come a long way very quickly.

              I like the suggestion made by Debbie Kennett - you essentially only do the SNP testing once for your relations, so you are generating a genetic legacy that will last not just for you but for your children, siblings and for generations to come.  I am not sure how much the tags used by anthropologists in the past will survive into the future (Celtic, proto-Celtic, Beaker People, etc.).  I am sure we are discovering that we are far more polyglot and moved about far more in the past than we had ever imagined.

              But I think it is fun to make this contribution to mapping human history - and the power of all of us together is stronger than any one (or several) University Academic Department(s).

              Best regards

              Brian