R1b1b2a1b5 L21+ What does it mean?

  • josephclewis
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2009
      I most recently received results of my deep clad test:
      R1b1b2a1b5 L21+

      Can someone tell me what that means. Where I can read more information about that designation and if there are any groups or additional tests I should be looking into.

      Lineage is said to be the following:

      http://www.genpage.com/lewischart.html
      or
      http://www.legendoflewis.com/John_Lewis_1592_1657.htm

      Thanks
      J.Lewis
    • ljcrain2
      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2009

        With the large number of new mutations discovered in haplogroup R, Dr. Hammer presented a schematic showing the divergence of haplogroup R.

        • Mutation M269+ (R1b1b2) entered Europe.
        • Mutation P311+ (U106+) (R1b1b2a1a) split to Poland.
        • Mutation U152+ (R1b1b2a1b2) split to Czechoslovakia.
        • Mutation SRY2627+ (R1b1b2a1b3) split to the Iberian Peninsula.
        • Mutation L21+ (R1b1b2a1b5) split to Britain, especially Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.

        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2009
          Are you Ysearch 3QPGN? If you don't have a Ysearch ID, please consider creating one.

          Also, please consider joining the R-L21 project, if you haven't already. It is at https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R-L21/default.aspx
          Similarly, since your lineage is to Wales, please join the Wales DNA project at http://www.genpage.com/walesdnaproject.html

          Have you also seen your M222 result? If you are negative to M222 while being positive to L21 that means you'd probably be considered L21* or R-L21*, which you could just consider a short name for R1b1b2a1b5.

          Your haplogroup is common in the British Isles. If you join the projects mentioned above and get a Ysearch ID that will make it easier to compare if you fit with another clusters of people.

          Mike

          --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "josephclewis" <josephclewis@...> wrote:

          > I most recently received results of my deep clad test:
          > R1b1b2a1b5 L21+
          >
          > Can someone tell me what that means. Where I can read more information about that designation and if there are any groups or additional tests I should be looking into.
          >
          > Lineage is said to be the following:
          >
          > http://www.genpage.com/lewischart.html
          > or
          > http://www.legendoflewis.com/John_Lewis_1592_1657.htm
          >

          > Thanks
          > J.Lewis

        • basenji_luvr
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2009
            Just a reminder that the Wales DNA project now uses, AS ITS MAIN WEBSITE, this link:

            http://www.familytreedna.com/public/WalesDNA/default.aspx
            So be sure and bookmark it as well.

            Joseph Lewis is already a member of the Wales DNA project. See kit 44100 he is under the L21* group (tested M222 negative).

            L21* is very common, especially in Wales, Ireland and Scotland. Could be a Celtic or proto-Celtic indicator. Obviously a lot more testing and studies are needed!!! I am hoping someday we will find something to differentiate Welsh L21* from Irish and Scottish. But, who knows!
            Susan

            --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "mwwalsh" <mwwalsh7@...> wrote:

            > Are you Ysearch 3QPGN? If you don't have a Ysearch ID, please consider creating one.
            >
            > Also, please consider joining the R-L21 project, if you haven't already. It is at https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R-L21/default.aspx
            > Similarly, since your lineage is to Wales, please join the Wales DNA project at http://www.genpage.com/walesdnaproject.html
            >
            > Have you also seen your M222 result? If you are negative to M222 while being positive to L21 that means you'd probably be considered L21* or R-L21*, which you could just consider a short name for R1b1b2a1b5.
            >
            > Your haplogroup is common in the British Isles. If you join the projects mentioned above and get a Ysearch ID that will make it easier to compare if you fit with another clusters of people.
            >
            > Mike
            >

            > --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "josephclewis" <josephclewis@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I most recently received results of my deep clad test:
            > > R1b1b2a1b5 L21+
            > >
            > > Can someone tell me what that means. Where I can read more information about that designation and if there are any groups or additional tests I should be looking into.
            > >
            > > Lineage is said to be the following:
            > >
            > > http://www.genpage.com/lewischart.html
            > > or
            > > http://www.legendoflewis.com/John_Lewis_1592_1657.htm
            > >

            > > Thanks
            > > J.Lewis

          • mwwalsh
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2009
              I've seen this on Y DNA results tables on various projects before but always wondered:
              When haplotypes are grouped under haplogroups, why is it that sometimes the haplogroup column doesn't actually list the full haplogroup name?
              For instance, under the "R1b1b2a1b5* L21+ Wales" section, you'll find two R1b1b2's... implying they hadn't done the deep testing.

              --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "basenji_luvr" <basenji_luvr@...> wrote:

              > Just a reminder that the Wales DNA project now uses, AS ITS MAIN WEBSITE, this link:
              >
              > http://www.familytreedna.com/public/WalesDNA/default.aspx
              > So be sure and bookmark it as well.
              >
              > Joseph Lewis is already a member of the Wales DNA project. See kit 44100 he is under the L21* group (tested M222 negative).
              >
              > L21* is very common, especially in Wales, Ireland and Scotland. Could be a Celtic or proto-Celtic indicator. Obviously a lot more testing and studies are needed!!! I am hoping someday we will find something to differentiate Welsh L21* from Irish and Scottish. But, who knows!
              > Susan
              >
              > --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "mwwalsh" <mwwalsh7@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Are you Ysearch 3QPGN? If you don't have a Ysearch ID, please consider creating one.
              > >
              > > Also, please consider joining the R-L21 project, if you haven't already. It is at https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R-L21/default.aspx
              > > Similarly, since your lineage is to Wales, please join the Wales DNA project at http://www.genpage.com/walesdnaproject.html
              > >
              > > Have you also seen your M222 result? If you are negative to M222 while being positive to L21 that means you'd probably be considered L21* or R-L21*, which you could just consider a short name for R1b1b2a1b5.
              > >
              > > Your haplogroup is common in the British Isles. If you join the projects mentioned above and get a Ysearch ID that will make it easier to compare if you fit with another clusters of people.
              > >
              > > Mike
              > >

              > > --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "josephclewis" <josephclewis@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I most recently received results of my deep clad test:
              > > > R1b1b2a1b5 L21+
              > > >
              > > > Can someone tell me what that means. Where I can read more information about that designation and if there are any groups or additional tests I should be looking into.
              > > >
              > > > Lineage is said to be the following:
              > > >
              > > > http://www.genpage.com/lewischart.html
              > > > or
              > > > http://www.legendoflewis.com/John_Lewis_1592_1657.htm
              > > >

              > > > Thanks
              > > > J.Lewis

            • josephclewis
              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2009
                I guess I was a little confused because I ordered the advanced test

                R-L21

                for 29.00 bucks.

                I take it I did not need that. So for now, a person with the results of R1b1b2a1b5 L21+ M222 negative would not have any further testing available?

                Thanks

                --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "basenji_luvr" <basenji_luvr@...> wrote:

                > Just a reminder that the Wales DNA project now uses, AS ITS MAIN WEBSITE, this link:
                >
                > http://www.familytreedna.com/public/WalesDNA/default.aspx
                > So be sure and bookmark it as well.
                >
                > Joseph Lewis is already a member of the Wales DNA project. See kit 44100 he is under the L21* group (tested M222 negative).
                >
                > L21* is very common, especially in Wales, Ireland and Scotland. Could be a Celtic or proto-Celtic indicator. Obviously a lot more testing and studies are needed!!! I am hoping someday we will find something to differentiate Welsh L21* from Irish and Scottish. But, who knows!
                > Susan
                >
                > --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "mwwalsh" <mwwalsh7@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Are you Ysearch 3QPGN? If you don't have a Ysearch ID, please consider creating one.
                > >
                > > Also, please consider joining the R-L21 project, if you haven't already. It is at https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R-L21/default.aspx
                > > Similarly, since your lineage is to Wales, please join the Wales DNA project at http://www.genpage.com/walesdnaproject.html
                > >
                > > Have you also seen your M222 result? If you are negative to M222 while being positive to L21 that means you'd probably be considered L21* or R-L21*, which you could just consider a short name for R1b1b2a1b5.
                > >
                > > Your haplogroup is common in the British Isles. If you join the projects mentioned above and get a Ysearch ID that will make it easier to compare if you fit with another clusters of people.
                > >
                > > Mike
                > >

                > > --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "josephclewis" <josephclewis@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I most recently received results of my deep clad test:
                > > > R1b1b2a1b5 L21+
                > > >
                > > > Can someone tell me what that means. Where I can read more information about that designation and if there are any groups or additional tests I should be looking into.
                > > >
                > > > Lineage is said to be the following:
                > > >
                > > > http://www.genpage.com/lewischart.html
                > > > or
                > > > http://www.legendoflewis.com/John_Lewis_1592_1657.htm
                > > >

                > > > Thanks
                > > > J.Lewis

              • mwwalsh
                Message 7 of 11 , May 4, 2009
                  I think you want to call or email FTDNA directly to make sure you get what's right for you.

                  My interpretation is that if you have already done a deep clade R test and it shows you as L21+ and M222- (which means you are L21*) you've already done everthing you can. A 2nd, but individual, L21 test won't do anything else that I know of.

                  --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "josephclewis" <josephclewis@...> wrote:

                  > I guess I was a little confused because I ordered the advanced test
                  >
                  > R-L21
                  >
                  > for 29.00 bucks.
                  >
                  > I take it I did not need that. So for now, a person with the results of R1b1b2a1b5 L21+ M222 negative would not have any further testing available?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "basenji_luvr" <basenji_luvr@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Just a reminder that the Wales DNA project now uses, AS ITS MAIN WEBSITE, this link:
                  > >
                  > > http://www.familytreedna.com/public/WalesDNA/default.aspx
                  > > So be sure and bookmark it as well.
                  > >
                  > > Joseph Lewis is already a member of the Wales DNA project. See kit 44100 he is under the L21* group (tested M222 negative).
                  > >
                  > > L21* is very common, especially in Wales, Ireland and Scotland. Could be a Celtic or proto-Celtic indicator. Obviously a lot more testing and studies are needed!!! I am hoping someday we will find something to differentiate Welsh L21* from Irish and Scottish. But, who knows!
                  > > Susan
                  > >
                  > > --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "mwwalsh" <mwwalsh7@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Are you Ysearch 3QPGN? If you don't have a Ysearch ID, please consider creating one.
                  > > >
                  > > > Also, please consider joining the R-L21 project, if you haven't already. It is at https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R-L21/default.aspx
                  > > > Similarly, since your lineage is to Wales, please join the Wales DNA project at http://www.genpage.com/walesdnaproject.html
                  > > >
                  > > > Have you also seen your M222 result? If you are negative to M222 while being positive to L21 that means you'd probably be considered L21* or R-L21*, which you could just consider a short name for R1b1b2a1b5.
                  > > >
                  > > > Your haplogroup is common in the British Isles. If you join the projects mentioned above and get a Ysearch ID that will make it easier to compare if you fit with another clusters of people.
                  > > >
                  > > > Mike

                • Susan Rosine
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 4, 2009
                    Since the Wales DNA project is a geographic project, and not a haplogroup project, as long as one person in matching haploTYPE group has done the Deep Clade testing, we assume the others would have the same SNPs, and do not "make" them also do the testing. That's why you'll see some haplogroups as being predicted (in red, without the full haplogroup name) and some in green (deep clade tested), but yet all grouped together for purposes of the Wales DNA project.
                    Susan
                    Co-Admin Wales DNA project

                    I've seen this on Y DNA results tables on various projects before but always wondered:
                    When haplotypes are grouped under haplogroups, why is it that sometimes the haplogroup column doesn't actually list the full haplogroup name?
                    For instance, under the "R1b1b2a1b5* L21+ Wales" section, you'll find two R1b1b2's... implying they hadn't done the deep testing.

                    --- In walesdna@yahoogroup s.com, "basenji_luvr" <basenji_luvr@ ...> wrote:

                    > Just a reminder that the Wales DNA project now uses, AS ITS MAIN WEBSITE, this link:
                    >
                    > http://www.familytr eedna.com/ public/WalesDNA/ default.aspx
                    > So be sure and bookmark it as well.
                    >
                    > Joseph Lewis is already a member of the Wales DNA project. See kit 44100 he is under the L21* group (tested M222 negative).
                    >
                    > L21* is very common, especially in Wales, Ireland and Scotland. Could be a Celtic or proto-Celtic indicator. Obviously a lot more testing and studies are needed!!! I am hoping someday we will find something to differentiate Welsh L21* from Irish and Scottish. But, who knows!
                    > Susan
                    >
                    > --- In walesdna@yahoogroup s.com, "mwwalsh" <mwwalsh7@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Are you Ysearch 3QPGN? If you don't have a Ysearch ID, please consider creating one.
                    > >
                    > > Also, please consider joining the R-L21 project, if you haven't already. It is at https://www. familytreedna. com/public/ R-L21/default. aspx
                    > > Similarly, since your lineage is to Wales, please join the Wales DNA project at http://www.genpage. com/walesdnaproj ect.html
                    > >
                    > > Have you also seen your M222 result? If you are negative to M222 while being positive to L21 that means you'd probably be considered L21* or R-L21*, which you could just consider a short name for R1b1b2a1b5.
                    > >
                    > > Your haplogroup is common in the British Isles. If you join the projects mentioned above and get a Ysearch ID that will make it easier to compare if you fit with another clusters of people.
                    > >
                    > > Mike
                    > >

                    > > --- In walesdna@yahoogroup s.com, "josephclewis" <josephclewis@ > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I most recently received results of my deep clad test:
                    > > > R1b1b2a1b5 L21+
                    > > >
                    > > > Can someone tell me what that means. Where I can read more information about that designation and if there are any groups or additional tests I should be looking into.
                    > > >
                    > > > Lineage is said to be the following:
                    > > >
                    > > > http://www.genpage. com/lewischart. html
                    > > > or
                    > > > http://www.legendof lewis.com/ John_Lewis_ 1592_1657. htm
                    > > >

                    > > > Thanks
                    > > > J.Lewis

                  • Susan Rosine
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 4, 2009
                      Joseph, You should contact FTDNA right away and cancel your order. You do NOT need that test. Right now you've done all the testing you can do!
                      Susan
                      Co-admin Wales DNA project

                      I guess I was a little confused because I ordered the advanced test

                      R-L21

                      for 29.00 bucks.

                      I take it I did not need that. So for now, a person with the results of R1b1b2a1b5 L21+ M222 negative would not have any further testing available?

                      Thanks

                      --- In walesdna@yahoogroup s.com, "basenji_luvr" <basenji_luvr@ ...> wrote:

                      > Just a reminder that the Wales DNA project now uses, AS ITS MAIN WEBSITE, this link:
                      >
                      > http://www.familytr eedna.com/ public/WalesDNA/ default.aspx
                      > So be sure and bookmark it as well.
                      >
                      > Joseph Lewis is already a member of the Wales DNA project. See kit 44100 he is under the L21* group (tested M222 negative).
                      >
                      > L21* is very common, especially in Wales, Ireland and Scotland. Could be a Celtic or proto-Celtic indicator. Obviously a lot more testing and studies are needed!!! I am hoping someday we will find something to differentiate Welsh L21* from Irish and Scottish. But, who knows!
                      > Susan
                      >
                      > --- In walesdna@yahoogroup s.com, "mwwalsh" <mwwalsh7@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Are you Ysearch 3QPGN? If you don't have a Ysearch ID, please consider creating one.
                      > >
                      > > Also, please consider joining the R-L21 project, if you haven't already. It is at https://www. familytreedna. com/public/ R-L21/default. aspx
                      > > Similarly, since your lineage is to Wales, please join the Wales DNA project at http://www.genpage. com/walesdnaproj ect.html
                      > >
                      > > Have you also seen your M222 result? If you are negative to M222 while being positive to L21 that means you'd probably be considered L21* or R-L21*, which you could just consider a short name for R1b1b2a1b5.
                      > >
                      > > Your haplogroup is common in the British Isles. If you join the projects mentioned above and get a Ysearch ID that will make it easier to compare if you fit with another clusters of people.
                      > >
                      > > Mike
                      > >

                      > > --- In walesdna@yahoogroup s.com, "josephclewis" <josephclewis@ > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I most recently received results of my deep clad test:
                      > > > R1b1b2a1b5 L21+
                      > > >
                      > > > Can someone tell me what that means. Where I can read more information about that designation and if there are any groups or additional tests I should be looking into.
                      > > >
                      > > > Lineage is said to be the following:
                      > > >
                      > > > http://www.genpage. com/lewischart. html
                      > > > or
                      > > > http://www.legendof lewis.com/ John_Lewis_ 1592_1657. htm
                      > > >

                      > > > Thanks
                      > > > J.Lewis

                    • Susan Rosine
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 4, 2009
                        Oh oops, sorry, I just now posted almost the exact same message to the group, before I saw what Mike wrote. Sorry!!

                        I think you want to call or email FTDNA directly to make sure you get what's right for you.

                        My interpretation is that if you have already done a deep clade R test and it shows you as L21+ and M222- (which means you are L21*) you've already done everthing you can. A 2nd, but individual, L21 test won't do anything else that I know of.

                        --- In walesdna@yahoogroup s.com, "josephclewis" <josephclewis@ ...> wrote:

                        > I guess I was a little confused because I ordered the advanced test
                        >
                        > R-L21
                        >
                        > for 29.00 bucks.
                        >
                        > I take it I did not need that. So for now, a person with the results of R1b1b2a1b5 L21+ M222 negative would not have any further testing available?
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > --- In walesdna@yahoogroup s.com, "basenji_luvr" <basenji_luvr@ > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Just a reminder that the Wales DNA project now uses, AS ITS MAIN WEBSITE, this link:
                        > >
                        > > http://www.familytr eedna.com/ public/WalesDNA/ default.aspx
                        > > So be sure and bookmark it as well.
                        > >
                        > > Joseph Lewis is already a member of the Wales DNA project. See kit 44100 he is under the L21* group (tested M222 negative).
                        > >
                        > > L21* is very common, especially in Wales, Ireland and Scotland. Could be a Celtic or proto-Celtic indicator. Obviously a lot more testing and studies are needed!!! I am hoping someday we will find something to differentiate Welsh L21* from Irish and Scottish. But, who knows!
                        > > Susan
                        > >
                        > > --- In walesdna@yahoogroup s.com, "mwwalsh" <mwwalsh7@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Are you Ysearch 3QPGN? If you don't have a Ysearch ID, please consider creating one.
                        > > >
                        > > > Also, please consider joining the R-L21 project, if you haven't already. It is at https://www. familytreedna. com/public/ R-L21/default. aspx
                        > > > Similarly, since your lineage is to Wales, please join the Wales DNA project at http://www.genpage. com/walesdnaproj ect.html
                        > > >
                        > > > Have you also seen your M222 result? If you are negative to M222 while being positive to L21 that means you'd probably be considered L21* or R-L21*, which you could just consider a short name for R1b1b2a1b5.
                        > > >
                        > > > Your haplogroup is common in the British Isles. If you join the projects mentioned above and get a Ysearch ID that will make it easier to compare if you fit with another clusters of people.
                        > > >
                        > > > Mike

                      • Joseph C. Lewis
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 5, 2009
                          Sorry about that and thank you to everyone who responded.  I look forward to being a continued part to the research and anticipate reading more articles from you all in the future.

                          J.Lewis