Re: DNA news that could be important for Welsh research!

  • mwwalsh
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
      I've received a little further clarification from Robert Hughes that I will pass on. This relates to the large public database of Y-DNA test results and the major R-M269 modals for Wales.

      The most common haplotype modal for R-M269 (R1b1b2) in Wales is referred to as "Wales Modal 1". There are two different Ysearch entries to compare against to determine if you might fit:
      The first is is PYP6F and you used it to compare with 37 STR markers.
      The 2nd is S9R4J and it is more precise as it goes out to compare against 67 markers.

      Another R-M269 haplotype modal is referred to as "Wales Modal 2" or the "Cadwgond of Wales Modal". It is WFF6T.

      The third haplotype modal is referred to as "Wales Modal 3" and it is just the 12 off-WAMH modal markers for this group, which includes surnames like Evans, Morgan and Walsh. It is KEFGX.

      Thanks Robert.

      Cordially, Mike