Ellis Lewis

  • ljcrain
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      There are 98 records for Ellis Lewis and Elizabeth Newlin at WorldConnect.

      I also found this one for his marriage to Ann. Last child is born in 1712. Since I found several records showing him marrying Elizabeth in 1713,  it is probable that Ann died in childbirth or soon after. Note there's a will.

      ID: I19110 Name: Ellis LEWIS Given Name: Ellis Surname: Lewis Suffix: Sr. Sex: M Title: Sr. Note: !DEATH:Exact date not known, only the fact that his will was probatedin Sep of 1753 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 1Birth: ABT 1678 in , , , Wales Death: 1753 in Upper Dublin, Buckinghamshire, Pennsylvania Endowment: 20 DEC 1937 LDS Baptism: 26 JUN 1936

      Marriage 1 Ann b: ABT 1682 in of Upper Dublin, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
      • Married:
      • Sealing Spouse: 17 APR 1944 in SLAKE
      Children
      1. Has No Children Margaret LEWIS b: ABT 1704 in Upper Dublin, Buckinghamshire, Pennsylvania
      2. Has No Children Lewis LEWIS b: 1706 in Upper Dublin, Buckinghamshire, Pennsylvania
      3. Has Children Ellis LEWIS b: 26 NOV 1708 in Upper Dublin, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
      4. Has No Children Jane LEWIS b: ABT 1710 in Upper Dublin, Buckinghamshire, Pennsylvania
      5. Has No Children Elizabeth LEWIS b: ABT 1712 in Upper Dublin, Buckinghamshire, Pennsylvania
      This record below for Ellis took him far back into Wales with names only, no locations or dates. It is always a good idea to take anything you find here with a large grain of salt, but another record shows him sealed to Ann in the LDS in 1944. So their record might be worth obtaining.

      ID: I7265 Name: Elizabeth NEWLIN Surname: Newlin Given Name: Elizabeth Sex: F Birth: 3 Mar 1686/1687 in Concordville, Chester County, Pennsylvania 1Death: 1723 in Piques Creek, Chester County, Pennsylvania 1_UID: 356CCEEADA0729439FAF5143169BFE336A92 2Change Date: 25 Dec 2001 at 14:08:30

      Father: Nathaniel NEWLIN b: 18 Feb 1666 in County Leix, Ireland
      Mother: Mary MENDENHALL b: ABT 1660 in Mildenhall, Wiltshire, England

      Marriage 1 Ellis LEWIS
      • Married: 8 Jun 1713 in Concordville, Chester County, Pennsylvania 1
      Children
      1. Has Children Mary LEWIS b: 6 Mar 1715 in Kennett Township, Chester County, Pa.

      Sources:
      1. Title: Roots Web's World Connect Project: Gollagher/Hartmann
        Author: Pam Hartmann <hartmann1@...>
      2. Title: Roots Web's World Connect Project: Reisland-Smith Trees
        Author: Cindy & J.P. Smith (japezoid@...)
        Publication: http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=smitty
        Note: ID:13381

      Many came to Pennsylvania about this time for religious freedom. Try to find out if he was Baptist or Quaker.

      Janet

    • Sheba307tatouage@cinci.rr.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007

        Hi Janet,

        Thanks for the site information. The one that you found on rootsweb does show the line that my aunt has traced. My line goes from Ellis Lewis and Ann, to his son Lewis Lewis Sr. and so on.

        Again thanks

        Natalie

      • brian swann
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007

          Dear Natalie

          I’m not certain if we ever got an

          (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

        • sheba307tatouage
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
            In searching for source documents I found this one, It said the
            following:
            Data Source: Pennsylvania Founding Families, 1681-1911
            Friday, February 02, 2007 7:29:22 AM

            Robert Waln married, at Pine Street Friends Meeting, October 10,
            1797, Phebe Lewis, born May 17, 1768, died April 16, 1845, daughter
            of Ellis and Mary (Deshler) Lewis,

            [and on the paternal side a granddaughter of Ellis Lewis, who came to
            Pennsylvania in 1698, and settled in the Welsh Tract, by his wife,
            Elizabeth, daughter of Nathaniel Newlin, many years a member of
            Colonial Assembly from Chester county.]

            Robert and Phebe (Lewis) Waln had their city residence on Second
            Street above Spruce, the site of "Shippen's Great House", and their
            summer residence at "Waln Grove," Frankford. They had six children
            who lived to mature years, viz: Robert Waln, an author of
            considerable notoriety; Lewis, a prominent business man of
            Philadelphia, one of the founders of the Philadelphia Board of Trade,
            trustee of the Philadelphia Library and the University of
            Pennsylvania, etc.; Rebecca, wife of Jeremiah Fisher Leaming;
            William, who died unmarried in 1864; Susan, married her cousin,
            Joseph Waln Ryerrs; Phebe, who died unmarried late in life; Ann, who
            became the second wife of Joseph Waln Ryerrs.
            Jeremiah Fisher and Rebecca (Waln) Leaming had five children:
            Robert Waln Leaming, b. Nov. 12, 1824, of whom presently;
            Thomas Leaming, d. inf. in 1827;
            Francis Waln Leaming, b. Nov. 1, 1828, d. unm., April 29, 1872;
            Fisher Leaming, d. in 1837;
            Rebecca Leaming, b. Jan. 26, 1835, d. March 13, 1888; m. Charles
            Pendleton Tutt, M. D., of Vir., b. Nov. 2, 1828, d. May 11, 1866;
            they had issue:
            Charles Pendleton Tutt, Jr.;
            Rebecca Tutt, m. Francis Wood, both living in the West.

            Still Looking for the ship name and port and such.

            Thanks
            Natalie
            --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "brian swann" <bps@...> wrote:

            > Dear Natalie
            >
            > I'm not certain if we ever got an answer as to whether you know, for
            > certain, when Ellis Lewis arrived in Pennsylvania and through which
            > Port? And do you know what occupation he first took up in
            Pennsylvania
            > and for whom? And on what vessel he sailed across the Atlantic.
            These
            > are the most vital clues for us to make any progress in England /
            Wales.