A Possible Welsh/Norman/Invader DNA Signature - I1-AS2

  • rjh450872
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2009
      Legend indicates a connection between the Hoskins families of Dorset,
      Herefordshire and Surrey.
      The coat of arms are very similar between the three Hoskins/Hoskyns
      branches.
      The arms of the Hoskins family consist of a shield with three lions and
      a chevron, with a crest of a cock's head.
      The Hoskins of Dorset and Surrey were originally from
      Herefordshire/South Eastern Wales
      W.G. Hoskins' A History of the Hoskins Family of Devon and
      Dorset
      "The name of Hoskins is also found in Glamorgan and Monmouth in the
      fifteenth century, which lends colour to the theory of a Welsh origin
      for the Western Branches of the family". (page 6.) (Note:
      There are several individuals named Morgan that have similar DNA
      results. See DNA Section.)
      An inscription on the Hoskyns monument at Purse Caundle,Dorset states
      that the family migrated from Herefordshire.
      The arms are similar to Herberts and connects the family to
      Herefordshire/Southeastern Wales.
      "Thus crown lands in Glamorgan were disposed of to the Herberts Earl
      of Pembroke".
      W.G. Hoskins' "A History of the Hoskins Family of Devon and
      Dorset"
      "Both the Dorset and the Herefordshire branches of our family have arms
      similar to those of the Herberts, which suggest a common origin for
      branches somewhere within the sway of the Herberts in Glamorgan". (page:
      ii)
      Norman / Welsh Connection
      Normans settled the Welsh Marches along with Southeastern Wales both
      immediately prior and after the Norman invasion/migration in 1066
      A.D.,.
      "The first step in this process lay in the establishment of Norman
      appendages or suburbs, to the English boroughs which the conquerors
      found already established along the border. Thus small colonies of
      French and Normans were located near the English communities of
      Hereford, Bristol, Shrewsbury, and others." (From: The Normans in South
      Wales, 1070-1171 Dr. Lynn H. Nelson)
      Normans were north men of Viking heritage.
      Many of the north men that settled in Normandy were from the Denmark
      region. (Schleswig historically has been a part of Denmark.)
      The name Hoskins has a Norman/Norse basis.
    • rjh450872
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 24, 2009
        Sorry for the previous entry under this title. I attempted to use the
        "Beta Rich-Text Editor" and there was a problem.

        I will repost later.

        Regard,

        Bob Haskins