Re: [walesdna] Re: Welsh DNA -let's learn more - importance of Y DNA deep clade R and L21

  • Susan Rosine
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20, 2008
      Glad to hear it. I've only been able to trace my dad's line back to a man named David James who we know was born in Wales in 1669 and died in Pennsylvania USA in 1739. Unfortunately we haven't been able to figure out when he came to PA, and more importantly, where he lived in Wales! Since he read/wrote in Welsh, I am hoping his family had been living in Wales for many, many generations. But, no matches to anyone else outside the James surname YET. I would think "true" or "old" Welsh would have matches to other surnames due to their naming system which carried on well into the 18th century in some areas.
      I have LOTS of other Welsh lines, and one of my lines goes very, very, VERY far back to Rhys ap Tewdwr b. 997 (actually I think I have the line back even further than him). I'd love to find someone from that line have their DNA tested. Of course I daughtered out in that line back in the 1700's LOL!!!
      IS THERE ANYONE ON THIS LIST WHO DESCENDS FROM EVAN LLOYD EVAN, DIED 1690? OR HIS FATHER EVAN ROBERT LEWIS ABT 1586 (DENBIGHSHIRE WALES)-1168?
      Susan

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 20, 2008
        Do you have YSearch IDs for the Y DNA? Mine is RXYKH. My closest
        genetic distances at 67 markers are an Evans and a Morgan from Wales.
        I've found there is a group of Morgans that I have a closeness to.
        They say they are of the same Morgan family as Captain Morgan, the
        pirate (privateer perhaps is politically correct.)

        Although this is maternally, family folklore is that I'm related to
        Nest verch Rhys, who is of the Tewdwr's.

        I don't know if the testing lab has any deals, but I recommend the
        deep clade R testing and (because it is not included, I don't think)
        the L21 test.

        --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, Susan Rosine <basenji_luvr@...> wrote:

        > Glad to hear it. I've only been able to trace my dad's line back to
        a man named David James who we know was born in Wales in 1669 and died
        in Pennsylvania USA in 1739. Unfortunately we haven't been able to
        figure out when he came to PA, and more importantly, where he lived in
        Wales! Since he read/wrote in Welsh, I am hoping his family had been
        living in Wales for many, many generations. But, no matches to anyone
        else outside the James surname YET. I would think "true" or "old"
        Welsh would have matches to other surnames due to their naming system
        which carried on well into the 18th century in some areas.
        > I have LOTS of other Welsh lines, and one of my lines goes very,
        very, VERY far back to Rhys ap Tewdwr b. 997 (actually I think I have
        the line back even further than him). I'd love to find someone from
        that line have their DNA tested. Of course I daughtered out in that
        line back in the 1700's LOL!!!
        > IS THERE ANYONE ON THIS LIST WHO DESCENDS FROM EVAN LLOYD EVAN, DIED
        1690? OR HIS FATHER EVAN ROBERT LEWIS ABT 1586 (DENBIGHSHIRE WALES)-1168?
        > Susan

        Y DNA deep clade R and L21
        > To: walesdna@yahoogroups.com
        > Date: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 2:42 PM
        >
        > I did all of this deep clade testing and joined the project that is
        > referred to in this message. I'm glad I did. I have the P312 (aka
        > S116) SNP mutation and the downstream mutation called L21. I am
        > negative for all else downstream and I, genealogically speaking, am
        > Welsh. I think I'm old Briton, possibly of the Romano-Briton type.
        > The more people that participate, the more chance we have of figuring
        > this stuff out.
        >
        > --- In walesdna@yahoogroup s.com, Susan Rosine <basenji_luvr@ ...>
        wrote:

        > > I received the following email due to another project I'm a member
        > of, and thought I'd pass it along here. I'd be very interested in
        > seeing those of us who have Welsh ancestry joining the other projects
        > mentioned below. It's free and you don't have to discontinue being in
        > the project(s) you're already in!
        > > I've already joined the P312+ project, and have ordered the L21 test.
        > > Susan
        > >
        > > "My name is Richard Stevens, and I am the Group Administrator of the
        > R-P312 and Subclades Project. If you are P312+ (check in the upper
        > right of your FTDNA "DYS Values" page if you aren't sure), please join
        > the R-P312 and Subclades Project. To do so just click on the little
        > "Join" icon on the left side of your FTDNA personal homepages. Change
        > the search box on the left from "Equals" to "Contains" and type "P312"
        > (minus the quotes) in the search box on the right. Click on "Search."
        > When the name of the R-P312 and Subclades Project appears, click on it
        > and then on the "Join" button at the bottom.
        > > If have not yet had FTDNA's Deep Clade-R test, please consider
        > ordering it. If you get a P312+ result, please join the R-P312 and
        > Subclades Project.
        > > In late October of this year a brand new SNP was discovered
        > downstream of P312. It is called L21. Right now it is very frequent in
        > the CELTIC AREAS OF THE BRITISH ISLES.... If you are P312+, please
        > order the L21 test. It is available for just $39 right now from
        > FTDNA's "Advanced Orders" menu. I cannot promise a positive result,
        > but please help us find out whether or not L21 originated among the
        > BRONZE AGE CELTS of Western Germany, which is what some of us believe
        > right now. Please email me at rmstevens2@ .. if you have any
        questions. "

      • Susan Rosine
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 20, 2008
          Yes, sorry, I should've posted that before. My Ysearch ID is QSCQ3 (Warren James, my dad). I am not close to anyone with known Welsh ancestry on Ysearch, except another James man who traces back to David James as well.
          Our family folklore is that the town where my ancestor lived was quite angry at the English when they were forced to take last names. So, they all took the last name of James. Although that would be just like the Welsh, LOL, that story hasn't helped me to locate where my family came from in Wales.
          Yep, R1b1 men should first do the Deep Clad testing (if it has not already been done) and also the L21 testing. I think you are right in that L21 is still a separate test with a separate cost.
          Susan