News from Wales and the World! December 2nd - 2008!

  • carwyn edwards
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2008

      Editors notes: This week We have stories from new York, Afghanistan, Japan and Port Meirion!!!!

      Do you want your website to be visited by supporters of Wales from Mumbles to Mombasa then highlight your website with "News from Wales and the World"
      For more information on how to appear on the front end of our newsletter and have a link on our hugely popular news web page please contact us: E-mail: carwynedwards993@... or cymru20012000@...
      Take advantage of our promotional rates and at the same time help the Welsh League of Arizona share Welsh information all over the world!!!!

      Check out these Welsh related websites. We appreciate their support towards our efforts!!!!

      “THE LAND OF YOUR FATHERS ”.
      IDEAL CHRISTMAS STOCKING FILLER FOR ANYBODY PROUD TO BE WELSH!
      “The LAND OF YOUR FATHERS” is DVD of a journey around Wales filmed on a High Definition camera by a Welshman who knows.
      SHOW THE GRANDCHILDREN THE LAND OF THEIR FATHERS.
      "Inspirational! The production is inspirational!" - Gareth Jenkins, former Head Coach of the Welsh Rugby Team.
      "You have captured the beauty of the wildness of Wales .….
      I hope my grandsons, when they see it, will understand my love for my homeland…."
      "I can recommend it to all who love Wales and to those who want to know more about her." Veronica Ellis, New South Wales
      The DVD is available in both PAL and NTSC formats.
      http://www.HendyProductions.co.uk/

      "Support the Left Coast Eisteddfod! -  Win a Unique David Western Lovespoon at Americymru
      http://americymru.ning.com/Wpage/page/show?id=2111712%3APage%3A26602

      Rainbow Images
      NEW AND IMPROVED WEBSITE  for those special Welsh gifts:
      www.rainbow-images.co.uk

      HIRAETH FOR THE OLD COUNTRY?
      Seeking suggestions for places to see on your visit to Wales?
      “The LAND OF YOUR FATHERS” is DVD of a journey around Wales filmed on a High Definition camera by a Welshman who knows.
      Show the grandchildren the Land of Their Fathers!
      "Inspirational! The production is inspirational!" - Gareth Jenkins, former Head Coach of the Welsh Rugby Team.
      "You have captured the beauty of the wildness of Wales .….
      I hope my grandsons, when they see it, will understand my love for my homeland…."
      "I can recommend it to all who love Wales and to those who want to know more about her."  Veronica Ellis,  New South Wales
      The DVD is available in both PAL and NTSC formats.
      Please click on the link below:
      http://www.HendyProductions.co.uk/

      Please let us know if you have any Announcements/Up coming events/Press releases/Questions or Comments. It's always great to hear from our readers!!! E-mail: carwynedwards993@... or cymru20012000@...

      Latest Welsh News - Newyddion Diweddaraf !

      -   Portmeirion in ‘authentic top 50’    - IT MAY be best known for its Italianate character and design, but the Welsh village of Portmeirion has been named as one of the most “authentic” places on earth to visit.

      -  US firms get Assembly cash to promote Wales   -   THREE separate New York-based PR firms have been handed contracts worth more than half-a-million pounds of public money – to promote Wales.

      -  Mine museum recruits apprentices    -   A mining museum and visitor attraction says it plans to start offering apprenticeships, 25 years after it first opened.

      -   War zone reunion for lost cousins      - Two Welsh cousins have been reunited after 35 years in a chance meeting while serving in Afghanistan.

      -  John Hughes
       Founded Hughesovka in imperial Russia    - A nineteenth century industrialist who founded an ironworks and mining town in imperial Russia, named Hughesovka in his honour.
      Little is known about his early life, but John Hughes was born in Merthyr Tydfil where his father was an engineer at Cyfarthfa ironworks.

      -  Google makes Wales Little Britain    -  When the world's best known web search engine found a translation of "Wales" for its map site, it failed to realise it was in the wrong language.

      - Dysgu: Canmol camp Ryichiro      -  Mae myfyriwr o Japan wedi treulio dwy flynedd yn dysgu'r iaith Gymraeg yn ei gartref cyn dod i Gymru i astudio.

      Readers Comments - Geiriau gan yr darllenwyr!

      I work for The National Archives of the United Kingdom, based at Kew, west of London:
      http:www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
      I have developed an interest in the Welsh Settlement in Patagonia - well documented here at The National Archives- and I have twice been to Patagonia. A number of the Welsh settlers abandoned the Colony in 1902 and returned to the UK (to Liverpool) before leaving for Canada two days later. They settled in and around Saltcoats in Saskatchewan. I gather that a number of them served in the Canadian Army during the First World War and , if they died on service (which I believe a number of them did) then their sacrifice should be commemorated somewhere in Saltcoats, perhaps on a war memorial. Is there a war memorial in Saltcoats, or close to Saltcoats? I believe that the chief town of settlement was called Llewellyn.
      Thank you.
      Bruno Derrick
      Bruno.Derrick@...
      Advice and Records Knowledge
      The National Archives

      Welsh abroad/Awstralia
      I address this to those Welsh people, who like myself chose to leave our homeland and live in Australia, there are many Cymru/Welsh Societies in Australia that function very well, but after a recent situation here in Queensland I find myself asking what is their main function?. Is it to provide a touch of our homeland? or pherhaps a Social situation for those of us who feel that Hiriath?, where the old songs are sung and the sound of familiar voices are heard, and celebrate Dewi Sant.
      My personel experiance of late has led me to believe that the majority of Welsh people and their descendents dont really care to much about the state of Wales, when asked to raise money for Plaid Cymru or Cymuned, they cry, its to much or we dont want to get into politics, further questions about who or which party is doing what and where, are replied with blank looks, I do not say for a moment that all here are the same, no, but there is an apathy here that is hard to shake, pherhaps this little letter will get some reply, but I wont hold my breath.
      Chas Morris.
      siarlneurig@...

      Welsh relatives in Australia
      I wonder wether you can tell me the best way to try and contact my Welsh relatives in Australia?
      Jean Snowden (Welsh born, American)
      SnowGrant@...

      Remember Llywelyn ap Gruffydd
      Fe wyddoch, efallai, am y digwyddiadau a gynhelir yng Nghilmeri yn flynyddol er mwyn cofio Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, ein Llyw Olaf a laddwyd gan luoedd Edward Iaf ar Ragfyr 11eg 1282. Eleni y mae'r seremoniau coffa yn digwydd dros benwythnos y 13eg a'r 14eg o Ragfyr.
      Am ragor o wybodaeth ewch i'r wefan yma:
      http://www.gurfal.com/Cilmeri/index.htm
      Dewch, cofiwch ein Llyw Olaf.
      You may know that annual events are held at Cilmeri in order to remember Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, last Prince of Wales, killed by the forces of Edward Ist on December 11th 1282.
      This year the events take place over the weekend of the 13th and 14th December.
      For more information please see this website:
      http://www.gurfal.com/Cilmeri/index.htm
      Come, remember our Last Prince.
      Geraint
      gerrobs@...

      Welsh Music Foundation
      Dai Lloyd here from the Welsh Music Foundation.  I was just getting in touch to see if you could pass on some of the attached information about a project that we have up and running now by the name of "Dan Y Cownter 3" (Under the Counter) - 10 Welsh-language Tracks tracks available to download for free from some of the best new talent in Wales.  Primarily aimed at young people, the site also contains a lot of information about the Welsh Language Music scene in Wales.  Anyway, if you log onto www.danycownter.com you'll be able to discover more, any publicity that you could give to the site would be much appreciated - it could also be used as a project for Welsh lessons. Please get in touch if you need any more information (details below)
      Thanks Dai
      HI, Dai Lloyd yma o'r Sefydliad Cerddoriaeth Gymreig.  Dwi'n cysylltu i weld os allwch pasio peth o'r wybodaeth atodedig ymlaen, sydd yn sôn am prosiect "Dan Y Cownter 3" - deg trac iaith Gymraeg ar gael i'w lwytho i lawr o rhai o'r dalent gorau ifanc yng Nghymru.  Wedi ei anelu'n bennaf at bobl ifainc, mae'r safle yn cynnwys llawer o wybodaeth am gerddoriaeth Gymraeg. 'Ta beth, os ewch chi at
      www.danycownter.com mi fyddwch yn gallu darganfod mwy, a fyswn yn gwerthfawrogi unrhyw hysbysrwydd y gallwch roi i'r safle. Cysylltwch os ydych am ragor o wybodaeth (manylion isod) Diolch
      Dai
      Dan Y Cownter 3 website is live!
      Free download site reflects an exciting time for the Welsh language music scene
      ymholiadau@...
      www.danycownter.com

      I'm writing to let you know about a local campaign to save one of Cardiff's oldest pubs from demolition. The Vulcan Hotel was built in 1853 and retains its original tiled exterior. The Gents' toilets are reputedly the oldest in Cardiff!
      Local developers MA Rapport own the land thanks to a Compulsory Purchase Order issued by the Welsh Development Agency in 2005. They have now issued a demolition notice on the pub for June 2009. Rapport want to replace it with a multi-storey car park, flats and office space.
      The campaign to save The Vulcan has gained great momentum recently:
      The online petition passed the one thousand mark last week
      The paper version has attracted nearly 1500 names in the past month
      Leader of Cardiff Council Rodney Berman has called on the developers to save the pub
      Sixteen Welsh Assembly Members have signed Jenny Randerson's Statement of Opinion to preserve The Vulcan
      Local MP Jenny Willott has signed the online petition
      I'd be grateful if you could feature the campaign on your website, including the address for the online petition [http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savethevulcanhotel/index.html]
      Many thanks,
      Graham Craig.
      graham.craig@...
      Some stories from the BBC and WalesOnline websites:
      October 2008
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7697091.stm
      http://save-the-vulcan.blogspot.com/

      Left Coast Eistedfodd
      I have noted with interest your work to create the Eistedfodd. Will you be having Druidic ceremonies and language competitions as they have in Wales? I'd love to see an article about this, especially with pictures/illustrations for the Imbolc issue of EOLAS magazine. Please visit
      www.whiteoakdruids.org
      thanks
      Ellen Evert Hopman

      Prince Madoc (Madog).       Myth or legend?
      Not either!  Madog arrived here in America in 1170.
      I carry stories of the Welsh who came to America during that time period.  I am a Shawnee "wisdomkeeper" of my particular group.
      Through no choice of their own, these Welsh squatters became Shawnee Native Americans.  In a word, they became "captives" (those left standing after the battle).  They were adopted into my Shawnee group.  This was long before Christopher Columbus was born.  Columbus "discovered" the island of Haiti, never setting eyes on North America.       Why white Americans celebrate this horrible loser, is beyond my comprehension!
      By the time that the first white settlers came to western Pennsylvania in the early 1700's, they were met by Shawnees who had more than a few European features to them, such as light colored eyes and light colored hair.  And these Shawnees spoke Algonkin mixed with Welsh words.  But make no mistake, they were Shawnees, and they did not take kindly to white European theft of their land.  They had been Shawnees for about two or three hundred years.  Their decendants were no longer "white people", and they fought like hell to hold onto their lands.  The Yengese (English), were especially hated!   And the ones from Virginia were "walking targets"!  The English were the worst of the thieves!  Followed by their white Scot-Irish "brothers".
      The French and Indian War (1754 -1763) was a particularly brutal war. My Shawnee people were heavily involved in this war.  We sided with the French in order to stop the British from taking all of our land.
      Prince Madoc (Madog) may well be a "long-ago grandfather" of mine.   My DNA is rather "interesting"!   My first heritage is Shawnee-White Madoc Native American.
      The European heritage will always remain secondary, since we still remember who stole all of our Shawnee land, as well as all of America and Canada.  I'm sure that our South American indigenous brothers and sisters, feel the same toward Europeans.
      Sad history, indeed!  And the "take-away" from our Native Americans, here in America by our government in Washington, D.C. never ends!  They won't be happy until we don't have one square inch of our land left!  Either that, or our few reservations will "glow in the dark" from all of the nuclear waste dumped on them by the federal government.
      I am trying to learn more about my long-ago ancestors from Wales.
      Always speak your Welsh language.  Never let it die!  After about 1830, we were forbidden to speak our Algonkin-Welsh language.  I only speak English, which was forced down our throats.
      In the eastern U.S., the white American federal government sent our children to white schools to "take the Indian out of them".  We are now trying to restore our culture, but it's difficult, since so much has been lost.
      From what I have read, I believe that the English did the same damage to your Welsh culture.
      Take care my friends,
      Ken Lonewolf / Shawnee-White Madoc Native American (I also share a bit of heritage with the Seneca and the Oneida people of the Six Nations of Iroquois).
      Charlotte, North Carolina

      Vancouver BC Canada
      I always look forward to your weekly newsletter with great relish.
      I would appreciate if you would put the following announcement in for the next few weeks.
      Incidentally, I enjoyed in the last issue the story about the Dylan Thomas Society of Australia with their visit from our (Dylan Thomas Circle Society Of Vancouver) Vice-president Neville Thomas who is visiting there.
       "The Dylan Thomas Circle Society of Vancouver will be holding their annual Christmas Concert on Thursday December 18th featuring a reading of Dylan Thomas's great story, "A Child's Christmas in Wales" by local professional actor Damon Calderwood, together with song and dance by the local Madd-Regeals Mude Group, much carolling, our now traditional mulled wine and Season's treats.
      If you can, please bring a plate of Christmas nibbles
      Location; the cosy Red Dragon, downstairs at the Cambrian Hall, 215 East 17th Vancouver BE,CO.
      Doors open 6.30 pm starting 7.00 pm.
      Tickets; $15 members, $20 non-members obtainable by phoning either Don Crowson (604) 922-4885 or Don Thomas (604) 921-7699. Move fast as tickets are close to sell-out."
      Thanking you in advance
       Donald Thomas
      Past-President
      The Dylan Thomas Circle Society of Vancouver BC

      Ottawa Welsh Society,
      Phoenix Players presents
      A SEASON OF PREMIERES!
      December 4, 5, 6 and 7:
      Joe Carpenter and Son, An English Nativity
      by Graham Clarke and
      A Child's Christmas in Wales
      adapted by Jo-Ann McCabe
      presented with The Ottawa Welsh Choral Society
      Performances in The Chamber at Centrepointe
      Curtain Times: 2:00p.m. Weekend Matinees 7:30p.m. evenings
      Tickets: $15 for Adults, $12 for Seniors and Students
      Children 12 and under are $10
      For more information, please call: 613 820-3675
      ottawawelshsociety@...

      Rhobert's online journal and blog documenting his charity walk in Patagonia in 2008 for Mencap Cymru.
      Wel, dwi wedi gwneud e ! Rwy'n ôl gartre nawr ar ôl cwblhau'r trec a threulio amser bendigedig yn Y Wladfa Gymreig. 'Roedd y daith trwy'r Andes yn galed iawn - gwynt, cesair, eira, glaw ac yn achlysurol heulwen hyd yn oed - gweler y lluniau ! Ond, diolch i chi, dwi wedi codi £7,840 dros Mencap Cymru ac mae'r gronfa dal ar agor tan ddiwedd y flwyddyn os hoffech chi ychwanegu ato.Hwyl fawr,Rhobert
      Well, I did it ! I'm back home now after completing the trek and spending a wonderful time in Y Wladfa Gymreig. The journey through the Andes was very tough - wind, hail, snow, rain and occasionally sunshine even - see the photos ! But, thanks to you, I have raised £7,840 for Mencap Cymru and the fund is open until the end of the year if you would like to add to it.Hwyl fawr,Rhobert Ewch at/Go to:
      www.rhobertmencap.blogspot.com

      Ten Drawings by Leonardo da Vinci at The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
      To celebrate the sixtieth birthday of HRH The Prince of Wales, ten of the Royal Collection’s finest drawings by the Renaissance master Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519) will be shown in The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth for the first time. The Royal Collection contains the world’s most important group of the artist’s drawings. These delicate works are preserved in the Royal Library at Windsor Castle and are among the greatest treasures of the Collection.
      The exhibition will be on show at The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth from 8 November 2008 – 7 February 2009.  Admission is free.  For further information concerning the Library opening hours visit our website
      www.llgc.org.uk

      WELSH LEAGUE OF ARIZONA
      ANNUAL CHRISTMAS PARTY
      Sat. Dec. 6th Noon to 2:00 at the Irish Cultural Center
      This year we have met many new people at our events in the East Valley as well as at the Celtic festivals around the state. We hope to see you and our old members and friends at a festive Christmas party featuring live music, Welsh Christmas Carols and the sharing of our favorite Welsh treats. Welsh League has had a great year, and next year will mark our 10th anniversary - so let's celebrate together.
      http://www.welshleagueofarizona.org/

      Sydney
      BDU Meeting25/11/2008
      Date? Friday 5th December 2008
      Time? From 7-00 pm
      Where? Kauri Hotel, Pyrmont
      http://www.bluebirdsdownunder.com/index.cfm

      Celebrate Saint David's Day - Dathlwch Dydd Gwyl Dewi
      Fishguard Arts Society supports the making of the Pembrokeshire Banner for the
      National St David's Day Parade in Cardiff
      http://www.fishguardartssociety.org.uk/ThePembrokeshireBanner.html
      Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was the NSDDP organised overnight. If you are in a band or dance group that wants to take part in the Parade, please put the information up on the official Facebook NSDDP Group.
      If you have any incredible ideas like Pastor Phil (Praying waist deep in the freezing waters of Boston) then let us know about it. Let's make Saint David's Day a really special celebration 'ble bynnag yn y byd' (wherever in the world)
      Go to: http://stdavidsday.blogspot.com
      to hear more about Pastor Phil's 'Dip for Dewi'
      Ni adeiladwyd Rhufain mewn un diwrnod a ni drefnwyd Gorymdaith Genedlaethol Gwyl Dewi dros nos. Os ydych mewn grwp cerddorol neu grwp o ddawnswyr sydd eisiau cymeryd rhan yn y’r Orymdaith, a wnewch chi roi y wybodaeth i fynu ar Grwp Gweplyfr GGGD.
      Os oes gennych unrhyw syniadau gwallgof fel Pastor Phil (Fydd yn gweddio mewn dwr rhewllyd i fynu at ei wasg yn afon Boston) a wnewch chi adael i ni wbod amdano. Gadwech i ni wneud Dydd Gwyl Dewi yn ddathliad arbennig ‘ble bynnag yn y byd’
      Cofion gore
      Gwenno
      http://stdavidsday.blogspot.com

      Welsh Folk Dancing - Melbourne, Australia
      Ceffyl Gwyn Welsh Dancers meet every third Sunday of the month at St Thomas's Church Hall, Corner of Broughton Road and Beech Street, Surrey Hills (Melway 60K2), between 2pm and 4.30pm.  Our end of year social will be held on Sunday 30th November.  Entry fee $3.00 (members), $5.00 (non-members).  Welsh Folk Dancing is great fun.  It is very similar to English and Scottish Country Dancing, and to American Contra Dancing and the music is of a quality that always receives favourable comment.  There are also Welsh Folk Dance Groups in Canberra and in Newcastle, NSW.  Enquiries to Ian Kendall, Melbourne 9878 2414.
      Ian Kendall
      Melbourne, Australia
      ian.kendall1@...

      Coast2Coast-USA Cycle Challeneg / Noahs Ark Appeal - Childrens Hospital for Wales.
      Since the last newsletter, we've made contact with people in Taos, New Mexico; Austin, Texas and Orlando, Florida. We are currently adjusting our route slightly to bypass these towns, and catch up with our new found mates who are willing to help us promote the charity and challenge / organise a few fundraisers / host us for a night.
      We are looking to make new links along the route, so if there are any more of you out there who are willing to assist us with this challenge, please get in touch. We are leaving Los Angeles (Santa Monica) on Friday 20th March, and arriving at St. Augustine on Saturday 4th April. We are looking for help around Las Vegas, the 'Mesa Verde' region, Lubbock, Texas; and anywhere along the Gulf Coast between Galveston, Texas and the Florida coastline.
      Any support would be mostly appreciated. Diolch o galon i chi sydd wedi cefnogi ni'n barod. Many thanks to those of you who have already supported us.
      Am fwy o wybodaeth amdano'r her ar elusen, ewch i www.coast2coast-usa.org.
      For more information on the challeneg and the charity, please visit www.coast2coast-usa.org
      Edrychwn ymlaen at sefydlu rhagor o gysylltiadau yn yr UDA - We look forward to making more links in the US.
      Diolch, Thanks,
      Gareth Evans
      g_evans1981@...

      Chicago Welsh latest
      Welsh Calendar of Events - Winter 2008/2009
      As always there is a great line up of Welsh events to get you outside and keep you moving over the cold winter months.
      Aside from the Autumn rugby internationals, there are screenings of the new 2008 animated version of the Dylan Thomas classic 'A Child's Christmas in Wales' at local area libraries, a off kilter Holiday Sing-A-Long with Welsh expat entertainer Judith Owen and an art exhibit by the notorious Welsh musician Jon Langford and much more are among the lineup of quality events.
      For more information on these and other events please email us at : WelshChicago@...
      Hwyl
      The Chicago Tafia Welsh Society
      www.MySpace.com/ChicagoTafia
      www.geocities.com/TheChicagoTafia

      Sydney Welsh Choir
      SYDNEY WELSH CHOIR CALENDAR
      December 2008
      Saturday 13 December at 6.00pm for 7.00pm: Choir Christmas Dinner at Carnarvon Golf Club, Lidcombe.
      January 2009
      Monday 26 January at 11.00am & 1.00pm: Sing at Australia Day Celtic Festival at Bradfield Park.
      http://www.swc.org.au/events.html

      Wales International Business Wales, part of the Welsh Assembly Government, specializes in supporting companies
      with their European expansion plans. Our aim…...to convince you that Wales is worthy of your
      consideration as a place to locate, relocate or expand your business. For further information
      please visit….. www.ibwales.com. If you would like a copy of our monthly newsletter ‘Resource: Wales’
      please contact Mel Hiscox at the Wales International Center in New York on
      mel.hiscox@...
      http://app.e2ma.net/app/view:CampaignPublic/id:7609.1225872347/rid:eeecf00c71761bc042a764c91a0275a0

      Cymry Llundain / London Welsh
      Event Guide
      http://www.anoeth.demon.co.uk/digwyddiadur.html
      For further info
      please contact:
      Theo Brueton
      tblw@...

      If you have any interesting websites associated with Wales/North America and the rest of the world let us know we will give it a link on our next Newsletter!!!!

      Cymdeithas Madog
      Cwrs Cymraeg 2009: Cymdeithas Madog will be headed to Alberta in 2009 for the 33rd annual Cwrs Cymraeg. Cwrs Cymraeg 2009 will be held on the Augustana Campus of the University of Alberta in Camrose, Alberta, July 19-26, 2009. For more details on how you could learn Welsh, visit our Cwrs Cymraeg 2009 page
      http://www.madog.org/

      NINNAU means "us" or "we also" and is pronounced "nin-eye." Answering the need for a stronger link between the many Welsh communities of North America. http://www.ninnau.com

      Welsh recipe of the week! Any recipes your proud of please let us know and we will share it with the Welsh World!!!!
      Big Thanks to Owen Jones from Barry, Vale of Glamorgan for the below recipe!
      Pwdin y Gororau (Welsh Border Pudding).
      If the apples are very sour, you may add a little sugar to them.
      8 oz. flour    Pinch salt
      4 oz. shredded suet      Water or cider to mix
      2 oz butter 4 oz. soft brown sugar
      2 lemons 2lb. apples, slices
      2 tblspns cider A little milk
      Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the suet and bind together with a little cider or water to form a dough. Cream the butter, sugar and juice from both lemons. Place mixture in the bottom of a greased 2 pint ovenware dish. Roll out the suet pastry. Line the dish with some of the pastry, covering the butter mixture. Trim the pastry. Fill with sliced apples, sprinkle on 1 teaspoon of lemon rind and add the cider. Cover with the rest of the pastry; damp the edges and crimp well together. Brush with milk, slash and cook. Set oven to 400°F or Mark 6 for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 310°F or Mark 2 for a further 1½ hours. Run a sharp knife around the edge and turn out onto a hot dish. The buttery sauce will run down the pudding. Serve with clotted cream.
      Serves 4-6.
      http://welsh-recipes.the-real-way.com/

      If you wish to discuss or debate everything about Wales and Welshness please join our Yahoo group. You don't have to be from Arizona or even Welsh to join. Just a healthy interest in the Welsh Current Affairs/Language and Culture -
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WelshLanguageofAz

      Gwersi Cymraeg all over the world!!!!!!!!!!

      St. David's Society of Pittsburgh
      Welsh language class sponsored by the St. David's Society of Pittsburgh will begin our sessions on
      Wednesday Sept. 17th and run for 12 weeks on Wednesdays.
      The class will again be held in Room 1228 at the Cathedral of Learning on the University of Pittsburgh's
      main campus. Classes will run from 6:30 p.m until 8:30 p.m. The first hour will be for members and
      new members to review. The second hour will be for returning members. There is a $10 dollar fee for
      end of the year activities and gift for the instructor. Come and help keep the language alive.
      You can contact me at Reddragondale@... or
      412-795-4950 for further information.
      Diolch yn fawr,
      Dale Richards

      WELSH CLASSES IN THE BRADFORD AREA, WEST YORKSHIRE
      Sut mae'r hwyl? We are just about to re-start our Welsh classes for 2008/9. The beginners' class starts Monday, 15th September, the advanced class begins on Tuesday, 16th September DYDD OWAIN GLYND^WR! These are both evening classes 7.00 - 9.00 in Keighley. There is also a fortnightly class on a Thursday afternoon, in the homes of the learners in rotation. This is in the North/West Bradford area. Lessons are from 2.00 - 4.00 followed by tea and buns! A monthly Welsh conversation group: Bradford Welsh Clwb Clebran, meets on the second Wednesday of every month from 7.00 onwards at a bar in central Bradford. Contact Eileen Walker
       for further information: 01535 665829/07931 466810
      Jim Walker
      jimwalker@...

      Colorado Welsh Society
      Event date:  Sept. 30, 2008
      Welsh Language Classes Start Sept. 30
      The Colorado Welsh Society will offer another year of Welsh language classes, starting Sept. 30 and running through May.  Beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels will be taught.
      Classes meet on the campus of the Archdiocese of Denver, at 1300 S. Steele St., conveniently located on Louisiana St. between University Blvd. and Colorado Blvd., a few blocks north of I-25.
      Classes are free to members of CWS, and the Society is open to people from all backgrounds.
      For more information on Welsh language classes,  contact Elis Owens 303-427-7188, elism@....

      Toronto
      Dewi Sant Welsh United Church in Toronto,
       This will be the 15th year for the classes.  For more information, students can go to the Dewi Sant Welsh United Church website
      http://www.dewisant.com/dosbarth/index.html
      John Otley,
      Tiwtor Cymraeg / Welsh Tutor
      TiwtorCymraeg@...

      Boston Welsh Lessons - Dysgwch Gymraeg yn Boston
      Are you around the Boston area and would like to learn Welsh? Aled Llion Jones, currently teaching Welsh at Harvard University, plans to offer free evening classes in Cambridge. Classes will start for absolute beginners as soon as enough names come in and a suitable time is arranged.
      Contact ajones@...

      Welsh language lessons in the Minneapolis For Welsh language lessons in the Minneapolis areacontact Laurel Bradshaw at llawryf@... . I havestudents at a variety of levels, so feel free to jumpin any time! Time and place is arranged among the students.Laurel Bradshaw llawryf@...

      Awstralia

      Melbourne
      Come and join the Welsh Classes run by Tafod y Cymry. They are held in the city centre at 7.00pm on a Tuesday night at the Celtic Club, 316-320 Queen St (Cnr Queen and La Trobe Sts). The Tara Bar for the Welsh Night and a pint at around 8.45pm wada@... to check term dates

      Sydney, Welsh Classes Learn Cymraeg (Welsh) at West Ryde on Tuesday nights at 7:00 pm (best to arrive at 6:30 pm to socialise with fellow class members beforehand). Easy walk from West Ryde railway station.
      All levels catered for: beginners to advanced.
      For information on language classes please contact Gary O'Shea:
      Tel 02 9807 5265

      Welsh League of Arizona hosts Welsh Classes all year round. For further information please contact them directly - tel: 623 939 0209 or e-mail: AZWELSH@.... For further information about our activities please check out their website: www.welshleagueofarizona.org Want to learn the basics of Welsh check this section: http://www.welshleagueofarizona.org/cymraeg.html

      Welsh Lessons in Chicago  Contact Winston Evans at winstone@... for further details of times and locations of Welsh Lessons in the Chicago area.

      Please forward this newsletter to whoever you think might be interested or pass on their e-mail address to us. If you receive duplications please let us know!! We do apologies we have over 19,000 e-mail addresses on the mailing list and growing quickly!!!

      Please sign our guestbook it's great hearing from you - http://www.efreeguestbooks.com/mg/guest.pl?61331:9:0

      Dwedodd Dewi Sant/Saint David said"Gwnewch y pethau bychain"
      "Do the little things"
      Carwyn Lloyd Edwards
      1109 E Del Rio Street
      Gilbert
      Arizona
      85295
      Tel: 480 560 1577 neu 480 963 1673 fax: 480 963 1673
      carwynedwards993@...

      Great search results, great prizes. BigSnapSearch.com Search now