News from Wales and the World! June 8th - 2008!

  • carwyn edwards
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2008

      Editors notes:
      In this weeks edition we have stories about the moon, stars, the virtual world and Dolgellau!!

      Do you want your website to be visited by supporters of Wales from Porthmadog to Pretoria then highlight your website with "News from Wales and the World"
      For more information on how to appear on the front end of our newsletter and have a link on our hugely popular news web page please contact us: E-mail: carwynedwards993@... or cymru20012000@...
      Take advantage of our promotional rates and at the same time help the Welsh League of Arizona share Welsh information all over the world!!!!

      Check out these Welsh related websites. We appreciate their support towards our efforts!!!!

      THE LAND OF YOUR FATHERS" IS AVAILABLE ONCE AGAIN!
      Due to demand 'The Land of Your Fathers' was temporarily out of stock.
      "The Land of Your Fathers " is a brand new film of a journey around Wales accompanied by the haunting music of Ryland Teifi.
      "Inspirational! The production is inspirational!" - Gareth Jenkins, former Head Coach of the Welsh Rugby Team.
      "You have captured the beauty of the wildness of Wales .….
      I hope my grandsons, when they see it, will understand my love for my homeland…."
      "I can recommend it to all who love Wales and to those who want to know more about her."  Veronica Ellis,  New South Wales
      The DVD is available in both PAL and NTSC formats.
      Please click on the link below:
      http://www.hendyproductions.co.uk/

      Special Group Tours – An extensive range of tours in Wales, both scheduled and custom designed. Small Groups, Interesting Itineraries, Personalized Service.
      http://www.specialgrouptours.com/html/wales_tours.html

      Please let us know if you have any Announcements/Up coming events/Press releases/Questions or Comments. It's always great to hear from our readers!!! E-mail: carwynedwards993@... or cymru20012000@...

      Latest Welsh News - Newyddion Diweddaraf !
      Full story - click here - http://www.welshleagueofarizona.org/news.html

      -  Welsh connection is gone, but the new President’s influence will still get here   - FOR a while, it looked like the US presidential election in November was going to be an all-Welsh affair.

      - Missile practice for Moon mission   -  Three penetrator missiles were fired into a sand bunker in Wales, designed to mimic the lunar surface.

      - Jessica fulfills language ambition  -  LEARNING Welsh in your free time is something being done by more and more people – but few people travel nearly 8,000 miles across the world to do it.

      -  Facebook chooses to speak Welsh     -  FACEBOOK – one of the world’s most popular websites – could soon be fully launched in Welsh after a group of users began translating it.

      -   Film buff has watched a record 28,075 movies   -   The Welsh language film industry also owes Gwilym a debt of gratitude.
      After being blown away by the cinematography of Hedd Wyn he contacted the Academy to ask why Welsh films had never been considered for Oscars.

      - Love, cinema, Dylan and stardom  -  Matthew Rhys "freaked out" when told he was to play Dylan Thomas in the first cinema film on the poet.

      - Remembered ... Valleys star-maker who spotted the potential of Tom Jones  - TOM JONES wouldn’t have become the superstar he is today if he’d never been discovered by It’s Not Unusual writer Gordon Mills, say his family.

      -  Robert yn Llysgennad Llenyddiaeth      - Penodwyd y bardd, nofelydd, ysgrifwr a'r amgylcheddwr, Robert Minhinnick yn Llysgennad Llenyddiaeth Cymru Dramor 2008.

      Readers Comments - Geiriau gan yr darllenwyr!

      Texas
      As a Welsh ex-pat living in Texas I always enjoy your newsletter Do you know Wales hosts the biggest Elvis festival in Europe?
      www.elvies.co.uk
      It gives me the opportunity to get back to Wales as I organise it! I'm also making a movie here in Austin if that's of any interest editorially
      http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/05/01/film-writer-all-shook-up-91466-20844985/
      Keep up the good work
      Peter Phillips
      wplp@...

      AMY EVANS (1884 - 1983)
      She last sang in public for the Welsh Women's Clubs of America at the age of 91!
      Can anyone help me, or remember this, or know who I can get in touch with who knows????
      Help please????
      best wishes
      and I really enjoyed looking at all your websites and news.
      Blue MacAskill
      Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru / The National Library of Wales
      Ffon / Phone (+44) 01970 632822
      Ffacs / Fax (+44) 01970 632882>
      bma@...
      http://www.llgc.org.uk

      WELSH LINK TO ANTHEM SINGER AT SOUTH AFRICAN RUGBY GAMES
      When the dulcet tones of the Welsh National Anthem waft  across the rugby stadium in Bloefontein, before the Wales play South Africa on Saturday[7th June] (and again the following week in Pretoria), many might assume the team has imported their own tenor from the valleys.
      This could not be further from the truth! The voice belongs to Karl Azee a young coloured man [correct description – not offensive] from Mannenburg on the Cape Flats in Cape Town.
      Specially for the two games he had to learn Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau phonetically from members of the Johannesburg Welsh Choir!
      But Karl has at least one strong link with Wales – he is the cousin by marriage of Welsh contemporary Music educator, Dinas Powys born Rod Harrod, who ran a very successful music industry training programme in Cape Town for disadvantaged youth.
      Rod returned from South Africa to the UK last year to try to set up similar training for South Wales Valley’s unemployed youth. He has been involved in protracted discussions with Welsh Assembly Government Ministers ever since.
      Karl has sung with symphonic and contemporary choirs in Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg also singing back-up vocals for Chris de Burg and German star Helmut Lotti when they toured South Africa.
      One of his greatest ambitions however, is to be invited to take part in a Welsh National Eisteddfod.
      Something that may take a step closer… depending on the results on the pitch and over the loudspeakers in the next two weeks!
      For further information please contact:
      Rod Harrod,
      rodtharrod@...
      or +7799728687 / +7976500624

      ITV Local Wales
      Something new from ITV Local Wales that might interest the ex-pats.
      It's called a Widget - you install it on your website, desktop, MySpace
      - wherever - and it tells you what the latest stories in Wales.
      Anyone interested just go to http://www.itvlocal.com/widgets/ and follow
      the instructions.
      If anyone does install it on their own website, I'd really appreciate it
      if they emailed me the URL.
      Best wishes,
      Matthew
      Matthew.Blythe@...

      Undeb Cymru a'r Byd/Wales International
      National Eisteddfod of Wales - Cardiff and District August 2-9, 2008. As you are by now aware the Welcome Ceremony of Wales International is now held prior to the Gorsedd Ceremony of the Prose Medal on Wednesday afternoon. The International Reception is held prior to the Ceremony. This year the event takes place on Wednesday 6th August. The Reception at 3pm  and the Ceremony at 4.30pm  If any of you Welsh people or those of you of Welsh descent are coming to this year's Eisteddfod and wish to attend the Reception and Ceremony please contact me on 44-1492-515558 or e-mail bryan.jones8@... as soon as is possible. Arrangementsd are also being made through the auspices of the President of the National Museum of Wales to attend the operning of an Art Exhibition at the National Museum of Wales at 6.30pm on Thursday evening 7th August. I have also been informed that if I can guarentee a minimum of 20 persons a trip can be arranged on Tuesday evening
       5th August to St Fagans Welsh Folk Museum. A bus will be available to take persons from the Eisteddfod field to St. Fagans and return to the Eisteddfod field. Here again I would be grateful for the names of persons interested in both the evening events.
      Diolch yn fawr.
      J. Bryan Jones - Ysgrifennydd/Secretary Undeb Cymru a'r Byd/Wales International.
      bryan.jones8@...

      Seattle
      Welsh Artist-in-Residence at the National Library
      shows film in Seattle.
      Visit:
      http://www.ifct.org/ for more information.
      Blue MacAskill who is from Llangurig, Mont.
      is currently Artist-in-residence at The NLW, until jan 2009.
      MacAskill is working with 4 schools and creating a project inspired from the collection
      in film, painting and print works.
      the exhibition will be exhibition at the Library at the end of the year.
      For more visit www.bluemacaskill.com
      email mail@...

      St. David’s Society of Hong Kong
      Annual General Meeting of the St. David’s Society of Hong Kong Ltd. will be held at 1st Floor, Delaneys, 18 Luard Road, Hong Kong, on Saturday, 14 June 2008 at 7.00pm
      The bar will be showing the South Africa -v- Wales international later in the evening.  The Committee looks forward to seeing as many of you there as are able to make it.
      Stereophonics
      The Stereophonics will be performing in Hong Kong on 24 July 2008 at the Star Hall, as part of the Pull the Pin Tour.  Tickets are available from www.hkticketing.com or on 3128 8288.
      Gareth Thomas
      Vice President
      gareth.thomas@...

      Beavers in Wales

      Beavers are giant destructive rats that chop down trees, flood roads and drown out large areas of farmland. Canadian beavers are the #1 introduced pest in both Southern Argentina and Chile. They are wiping out the native forests and causing huge ecological damage.
      Dr. Ieuan R. Evans
      E-mail:  ieuan@...
      Canada

      Whoever is thinking of taking beaver to Wales should think twice, and investigate what it has done in South America.
      Miriam roberts
      miriammr@...
      Canada

      Forum for Swansea city supporters
      http://forum.planetswans.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=4

      Toronto
      Enjoy "An Evening of Song" Concert ~ "Noson O Gân" featuring the Llanelli Male Choir visiting from Wales and the Toronto Welsh Male Voice Choir just returning from their performance at Carnegie Hall on Saturday, September 20, 2008, 7:30pm.at Metropolitan United Church, 56 Queen Street East, Toronto, M5C 2Z3. Hear the music as two world-renown Welsh Male Choirs sing separately and jointly all in celebration of the "Land of Song". Tickets: $25.00 www.ticketbreak.com or 416-410-2254. www.twmvc.com  Thank you for your kind assistance. Regrads,Bonnie BoothPublicity ManagerTWMVC
      bjbooth@...

      Poland
      hysbyseb am swydd
      Darlithydd yn y Gymraeg
      Ym Mhrifysgol Gatholig Lublin
      Gwlad Pwyl
      O fis Hydref 2008 ymlaen bydd cyfle i unigolyn sydd â gradd yn y Gymraeg neu sydd yn athro Cymraeg, ym Mhrifysgol Gatholig Lublin, Gwlad Pwyl. Gellir cael manylion oddi wrth Bennaeth yr Adran Geltaidd, Dr Eugeniusz Cyran (e-bost: cyran@.... Dysgir y myfyrwyr trwy gyfrwng y Saesneg a rhoddir llety gyda?r swydd.
      best regards
      alek bednarski
      cyran@...
      www.alekbednarski.com

      Looking for Welsh speakers living in Hong Kong, Shanghai a Beijing
      Mae un o fy ffrindiau o'r BBC yn neud eitem ar China. Mae o'n edrych am siaradwyr Cymraeg yn Hong Kong, Shanghaii a Beijing ar gyfer rhaglen dogfen.
      Cysylltwch a ni:
      Carwynedwards993@...

      Liverpool/Lerpwl
      I am a presenter and producer on BBC Radio Wales and
      early next month I will be in Liverpool hoping to record a programme for the
      BBC Radio Wales programme Look Up You Genes which aims to tell family
      history stories,  as well as help people research their family trees.  In
      late June BBC Radio Wales is running a series of programmes celebraging the
      links between Wales and the city . I am very keen to find any people in
      Liverpool with Welsh connections - they may have an intersting story to tell
      about how their family came to Liverpool or be stuck in tracing their Welsh
      roots - if so my co presenter Cat Whiteaway who is a genealogist may be able
      to help . If anyone reading this is interested in contacting me  you can
      drop me an e mail at charlotte.evans@... or my office number is 02920
      323 232 and I\'m at that number from Monday June 2nd . The Genes team will
      be in Liverpool on June 10 th - hope this may be of some interest - I\'ll be
      quite happy to chat to anyone who thinks they may be interested in
      conbributing .
      Many thanks
      Charlotte Evans
      charlotte.evans@...

      London/Llundain
      Saturday 14th June 2008 9am-5.30pm - Intensive one-day Welsh course in Central LondonCroeso i Ddysgwyr o Bob Safon - All Levels Welcome including Complete BeginnersSee http://www.anoeth.demon.co.uk/pdc.html for details or email:
      tb805062@...

      Mold, North Wales
      Tegeingl - Gwyl y Werin Gudd
      Tegeingl - Festival of Hidden Folk
      Bydd gwyl celfyddydau traddodiadol newydd sbon yn cael ei gynnal am y tro cyntaf erioed yn yr Wyddgrug, Gogledd Cymru ar Awst 15-16. Bydd cerddoriaeth byw, chwedlau, barddoniaeth, dawnsio, stondinau a chystadlaethau. Rhywbeth at ddant pawb. Dewch i gael blas ar ddiwylliant Cymru a'r byd. Bydd perfformwyr o Gymru, Lloegr, Iwerddon, Canada a Gwlad Pwyl. Cofiwch ymweld â www.tegeingl.com am fwy o wybodaeth ac i archebu tocynnau.
      This new traditional arts festival will take place for the first time ever in Mold, North Wales on August 15-16th. There will be live music, folk tales, poetry, dancing, stalls and competitions. Something for everyone. Come along to taste the best of Welsh culture. There will be performers from Wales, England, Ireland, Canada and Poland. Remember to visit www.tegeingl.com for more information and to purchase your tickets.
      gyda diolch,
      Rhian Davies
      Swyddog Busnes/Business Officer
      Menter Iaith Sir y Fflint
      Ffon: 01352 755614
      rhian@...

      Kansas
      Picton surname from Wales
      On 2nd/3rd August 2008 at Hiawatha, Kansas, there will be a reunion of anyone who has an interest in the Picton surname from Wales.
      In 1870 Stephen and Eliza Picton emigrated from St. Clears, Carmarthenshire to Hiawatha, Kansas, with their growing family.  Reunions of their descendants have been held locally at Hiawatha for over 70 years.
      But this year it goes global.  The use of the latest DNA techniques on the Y-chromosome has shown that all Pictons from Wales are almost certainly all related - and share a common ancestor.  Thus they are related to Sir Thomas Picton (1758-1815), the only Welshman buried in St. Pauls Cathedral, London.
      Further information can be obtained from the joint organisers of the programme :
      Brian Picton Swann,
      bps@...
      or
      Jeanette Froeschner,
      Jeanette@....

      New York
      Please come and join us on June 15th at 3pm for our last service of this seasonwhich includes CommuionWe meet at the Rutgers Church 236 West 73rd off BroadwayWe will be holding our Annual General Meeting after the service and appeal for as many as possibleto attend.There are a number of important issues
       to be discussedconcerning the future of the Church and these directly affect each one of us in thiswonderful congregational family.Hopefully, everyone in our community will be prompted to contribute to the decisions we must makeSo, please make that little extra effort this yearon June 15th.As always you will find a warm Welsh welcomeand a delicious te bach to feast on afterwards.We look forward to seeing youHwyl
      nycwelsh.com
      nycwelsh@...

      Traditional Welsh Costume Exhibition
      The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth will be holding its main summer exhibition Traditional Welsh Costume (21 June - 4 October 2008).
      This exciting and comprehensive exhibition features this iconic Welsh image through costumes, textiles, portraits, pictures and photographs, and will appeal to everyone who is interested in Welsh history and culture.   The exhibits have been sourced from various public and private collections, many of which will be on display for the first time.
      Entry to the exhibition and Library is free.  For further details please visit our website www.llgc.org.uk
      We also offer conducted tours of the Library every Monday at 11.00am, which gives you an opportunity to have a behind the scenes tour of the Library as well as seeing some of our national treasures.  The tours are free of charge, but pre-booking is essential due to the high demand for tickets.  To secure your booking online contact www.llgc.org.uk/drwm or telephone (01970) 632548.
      Cyril Evans
      Swyddog Hyrwyddo
      Communications Officer
      cyril.evans@...
      Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru
      The National Library of Wales
      Aberystwyth
      Ceredigion SY23 3BU
      (01970) 632565

      I shall be visiting Montreal, Boston, Ithacia. Pittsburgh & New York this summer, not sure of exact dates yet, but would love to make contact with Welsh groups while there. Perhaps some would like me to tell them of my life, as a writer, the tiny village of Myddfai in the Brecon Beacons National Park? It is stunningly beautiful here, where The Prince of Wales has recently bought a new home.
      My book The Ice Journey, a dual language Welsh/English book written for adults and children and suitable for people learning Welsh, asks the question - were the first Native American's from Europe?
      Mrs Valerie Wood-Gaiger MBE
      Valwoodgaiger@...
      Winner 2008 Special recognition Global Women award for Innovation in Education.
      Director Grandma's Stories Ltd
      Cofounder Learn with Grandma
      Brynamlwg
      Myddfai
      Llandovery
      Carmarthenshire SA20 0NZ
      Wales U.K.
      01550 720994
      www.4learningenglish.com

      Oceans Apart - hardest working Welsh band in North America
      Chandler Arizona
      Trans-Celtic Gala
      Where:         Chandler Center for the Arts,
      250 N. Arizona Avenue
      Chandler, Arizona 85225
      info@...
      480.782.2683
      When:          7:30 – 9:00pm, Saturday, July 26th
      Admission:   Free!
      Welsh and North American traditional dance and music.
      For a preview of the music, go to: www.youtube.com/oceansapartmusic
      Or
      www.oceansapartmusic.com

      Chicago
      The Burlington Welsh Male Voice Choir – Featuring Jon Langford?
      will be performing 3 concerts in Chicago in July.  The choir though from Canada is mainly comprised of Welsh expats from South Wales and are a great group of lads.  If you have a chance to come out and give them a bit of support when they are in town it would be greatly appreciated.
      For further info please visit: www.burlingtonwelshmalechorus.com
      Friday July 11th
      The Hideout
      1354 W Wabansia Ave
      Chicago, IL
      (773) 227-4433
      www.hideoutchicago.com
       Saturday July 12th
      Chicago Folk and Roots Festival
      Welles park
      Chicago IL
      www.oldtownschool.org

      Sunday July 13th
      Martyr's
      3855 N Lincoln Ave
      Chicago, IL
      (773) 404-9494
      www.martyrslive.com

      Welsh Bands in North America!!

      Bullet For My Valentine
      The Bridgend rock band "Bullet For My Valentine" continues to make a splash on this side of the Atlantic. For further information please visit:
      www.myspace.com/bulletformyvalentine
      JULY
      14 - The Rave, Milwaukee, WI
      15 - House of Blues, Chicago, IL
      16 - Myth, Minneapolis, MN
      17 - The Venue, Fargo, ND
      19 - Shrine, Billings, MT
      21 - The Big Easy, Spokane, WA
      22 - Showbox SoDo, Seattle, WA
      23 - Roseland, Portland, OR
      25 - Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, CA
      27 - House of Blues, San Diego, CA
      28 - House of Blues, Las Vegas, NV
      29 - Marquee, Phoenix, AZ
      31 - House of Blues, Dallas, TX
      AUGUST
      1 - Stubbs, Austin, TX
      2 - Verizon Wireless, Houston, TX
      5 - Rams Head Live, Baltimore, MD
      6 - House of Blues, Atlantic City, NJ
      8 - Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, NY
      9 - Hampton Beach Casino, Hampton Beach, NH
      11 - Metropolis, Montreal, QC, Canada
      12 - Kool Haus, Toronto, ONT Canada
      14 - House of Blues, Cleveland, OH
      15 - Orbit Room, Grand Rapids, MI
      16 - The Fillmore at State Theatre, Detroit, MI

      David Llewellyn
      The Nashville based Welsh country/folk singer tour dates.  For further information please visit:
      www.myspace.com/davidllewellynmusic
      JUNE
      10 - Landmark Conference, Austin TX

      Duffy
      WELSH soul star "Duffy" is the first Welsh female to achieve a number one pop single in the past 25 years. Her UK charttopping CD "Rockferry" is scheduled for release in the United States on the 13 May. Only two US tour dates are sheduled so far this year, for updated and further information please visit: www.iamduffy.com
      AUGUST
      8 - All Points West Festival,  Liberty Park, NJ

      Jodee James - America's Welsh nightingale
      August 24    Jodee James; Trouz Bras; Ed Miller; Danny O'Flaherty; Celtic Melody(Celts and Currachs Festival),Waterfront Park, New London, CT 10 AM-7 PM
      http://newlondonmainstreet.org
      http://jodeejames.home.att.net/jodeeintro.htm

      HWYL
      Tour dates for "Rhiannon Jones" and her North Carolina based Welsh band "HWYL".  For further information please visit:
      www.myspace.com/hwylmusic
      JUNE
      12 - The Cave, Chapel Hill, NC
      21 - The Flipside Restaurant, Clayton, NC

      Tom Jones
      The man that needs no introduction! for tour dates and tickets please visit:
      www.tomjones.com
      AUGUST
      1 - Trump Taj Mahal, Atlantic City, NJ
      2 - Trump Taj Mahal, Atlantic City, NJ

      Oceans Apart
      Tour dates for the Arizona based Welsh Celtic/Folk band "Oceans Apart". For more information on the band, please go to:
      www.oceansapartmusic.com
      JUNE
      13 & 14 - Utah Highland Games, Lehi, UT
      JULY
      26 - Chandler Center for the Arts, Chandler, AZ

      People in Planes
      Tour dates for the Cardiff based alternative indie rock band "People in Planes". For further information on the band, please go to:
      www.peopleinplanes.com
      JUNE
      14 – Tin Angel, Philadelphia, PA
      16 – Trash Bar, Brooklyn, NY
      23 – Trash Bar, Brooklyn, NY
      28 – Tommy Doyle's, Cambridge, MA

      Wee Hairy Beasties
      "Wee Hairy Beasties" is a bluesy, folksy, rootsy children's music group comprised of Newport's own Jon Langford and other British expat musicians residing in Chicago.  Great fun for kids and adults alike!  For further information please visit:
      www.myspace.com/weehairybeasties
      JUNE
      28 - Sauganash Park, Chicago, IL (11am)
      28 - Psychobaby, 1630 N Damen Ave, Chicago, IL (3pm)
      JULY
      12 – Evanston Family Festival, Evanston, IL

      Mabon will be performing in Chicago on the weekend of 12th-14th Sept, at the Chicago Celt Fest. We will also be performing a special concert IN O'Hare Airport. If any of your subscribers in the US are interested in us performing near them, they can contact us at derek@...
      Cheers,
      Derek Smith
      derek@...
      http://www.mabon.org/site/main.html

      New York City
      Join in the first ever Welsh Corgi Gathering in New York City
      The event is organised by the Welsh Assembly Government (New York office) and the British Memorial Garden in association with the New York City Parks Department
      WHEN
      Saturday, June 28, 2008  10:00 AM  - 12:00 PM
      WHERE
      Riverside Park
      72nd Street & Riverside Drive
      New York,  NY 10027
      https://guest.cvent.com/EVENTS/Register/IdentityConfirmation.aspx?i=d81cf87f-4d3c-4f32-804e-851c6469786d
      Bring your Welsh corgi - Pembroke or Cardigan - to an all-new gathering and charity event at Riverside Park, Manhattan, on Saturday June 28, 2008 and help us establish a new record for the largest gathering of Wesh Corgis in New York.
      At the same time, you'll be helping to fund the British Memorial Garden in New York - a garden established in Hanover Square in memory of victims of 9/11.

      The North American Festival of Wales
      Sign up today for the North American Festival of Wales!
      28 August - 31 August, 2008
      The Doubletree Hotel Chicago
      Oak Brook, Illinois
      The North American Festival of Wales is blowing into the Windy City in 2008! This celebration of Welsh and Welsh American culture will feature the very best in Welsh entertainment and arts.
      There is a top notch program of entertainment this year, featuring the fine up and coming singer from Carmarthen Fflur Dafydd, the award-winning tenor Aled Wyn Davies and the outstanding CF1 Choir from Cardiff.
      The daytime programming will feature a full schedule of interesting and informative seminars, Welsh lessons and special guest speakers including Dr. Anthony Jones of the Art Institute of Chicago, artist Fred Jones from Western Illinois University, Dr. Gareth Williams from Glamorgan University and Jan Kieckhefer from the Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust.
      For registration packets and further information about the festival please contact:
      WNGGA International Headquarters
      PO Box 215, Hartland MI 48353 USA
      Email: wngga@...
      Website: www. wngga. org
      Phone: (810) 632-7850
      Fax: (810) 632-7805
      Or download the program/registration form at: www. wngga. org/NAFOW/OnlineRegistrationbook22008. pdf

      The Dylan Thomas Society of Australia
      EVENTS 2008
      The main events will be:
      Sun 22 June           A Dylan Thomas Alpine Christmas (one week earlier than originally planned)
      Fri 15 August        A showing of The Doctor and the Devils, scripted by Dylan Thomas, starring Timothy Dalton, at the Mechanics School of Arts, Pitt St Sydney
      Sun 9 November   A Dylan Thomas Wake (probably a lunch at the Oaks Hotel Neutral Bay)
      http://www.dylanthomas.org.au/aspx/templates/leftmenugreen.aspx/msgid/446819

      Welsh Choir of Southern California
      Calender for 2008

      NORTHWEST TOUR * SEATTLE, VANCOUVER, VICTORIA
      Seattle, Washington
      June 26 7:30 pm
      Concert at Trinity Episcopal Church
      Fundraiser for Breadbasket for the Hungry
      609 Eighth Avenue * Seattle, WA 98104

      Camano Island, Washington
      June 27 7:30 pm
      Concert at Saint Aidans Episcopal Church
      1318 East State Hwy 532 * Camano Island, WA 98292
      Contact CAROLINE @ cariadcaroline@... or 562.209.8184
      Vancouver, British Columbia
      June 28 7:30 pm
      Concert at Saint James Anglican Church
      Fundraiser for Intercity Music Program
      3030 Cordova Street East * Vancouver, British Columbia
      Contact CAROLINE @ cariadcaroline@... or 562.209.8184
      Cobble Hill, Vancouver Island, British Columbia
      June 29 7:00 pm
      Concert & Gymanfa at Saint John the Baptist Anglican
      3295 Cobble Hill Road * Cobble Hill, Vancouver Island
      609 Eighth Avenue * Seattle, WA 98104
      Contact CAROLINE @ cariadcaroline@... or 562.209.8184, or
      Adrian Rees @ rees67@... or 250.733.2445 or 250.743.3095

      Contact CAROLINE @ cariadcaroline@... or 562.209.8184
      http://www.welshchoir.com/schedule/

      Sydney Welsh Choir
      GOVERNMENT AWARD TO SYDNEY WELSH CHOIR
      The Sydney Welsh Choir was the only choir presented with an award by the NSW State Government at the recent award ceremony held to launch Seniors Week.  The award, presented in the Angel Place Recital Hall, was given in recognition of the vast number of concerts staged by the choir over decades to raise money for charities and to provide entertainment for the general public and especially for senior citizens. Every year, the choir helps to raise funds for such charities as Legacy, the Cancer Council and the Red Cross, and service groups such as Rotary.  Many of its concerts are held in retirement villages and in churches where the audiences tend to be drawn from their elderly congregations.  Even on its overseas tours, the choir has continued to provide help where it is needed.  Eighteen months ago, on the last full day of its European tour, the choir performed in Lancing College Chapel to raise $23,000 for a local hospice. Details of the choir’s
       history and activities can be found on www.swc.org.au – take a look!
      2008 Schedule!
      June
      15 June 2008 Concert at Springwood Uniting Church at 2.00 pm.
      July
      19 July 2008 Concert at St Paul's Anglican Church, Castle Hill at 2.00 pm.
      26 July 2008 Concert at Arndell College, Oakville, 7.30 pm.
      http://www.swc.org.au/events.html

      Criccieth Festival 2008 - 22nd to 29th June!
      1988-2008 CRICCIETH COMES OF AGE! The first Gwyl Criccieth Festival was held back in 1988, when performers included Dennis O'Neill and a young, unknown singer from Pant Glas (just up the road) who was being very well-received locally. His name? Bryn Terfel... And the rest (as they say) is history! Bryn is now a world class international celeb who stages his own Faenol Festival, as well as being a Patron of Gwyl Criccieth Festival, which is held in June each year.
      Do make a date and come along to join in our 21st anniversary in Criccieth!PLEASE check out the Criccieth Festival 2008 programme:
      http://www.cricciethfestival.co.uk

      2008 Welsh events in Patagonia:

      In Porth Madryn, Gaiman, Trelew. from july 27 th to july 29 th 2008
      Eisteddfod de la Juventud - Youth Eisteddfod - Eisteddfod y plant
      In Gaiman, Chubut from september 11 th to september 14 th 2008
      Eisteddfod del Chubut - Eisteddfod y  Wladfa
      In Trelew, Chubut from october  23 th to october  26 th  2008
      You are Welcome!!
      TRIP PATAGONIA : Hydref - Tachwedd , 2008
      Gaiman, Porth Madryn, Trelew.
      Also to visit Buenos Aires , Bariloche, Esquel, Trevelin, El Calafate Glaciers and Iguazú Falls
      Diddordeb ?   Interested?
      For more information contact us: ariannin@...
      "Ty ´r Haul  Gaiman"
      tourist office in Gaiman and Buenos Aires
      Mirna Jones  &  Armando Ferreira
      ariannin@...

      Pittsburgh
      The St. David's Society of Pittsburgh
      The Grand Opening/Dedication Ceremony for the Welsh Nationality Room at the University of Pittsburgh will be held on Sunday, June 1, 2008, beginning at 3:00 PM in the historic Heinz Chapel.  After the Program, there will be a reception in the Commons Room of the Cathedral of Learning and tours of the newly-finished Room.  This is a historic occasion which is not to be missed!  More details will follow, but save the date.
      Dave Williams (peggie@...

       Wales International Business Wales, part of the Welsh Assembly Government, specializes in supporting companies
      with their European expansion plans. Our aim…...to convince you that Wales is worthy of your
      consideration as a place to locate, relocate or expand your business. For further information
      please visit….. www.ibwales.com. If you would like a copy of our monthly newsletter ‘Resource: Wales’
      please contact Mel Hiscox at the Wales International Center in New York on
      mel.hiscox@...

      Cymry Llundain / London Welsh
      Event Guide
      http://www.anoeth.demon.co.uk/digwyddiadur.html
      For further info
      please contact:
      Theo Brueton
      tblw@...

      If you have any interesting websites associated with Wales/North America and the rest of the world let us know we will give it a link on our next Newsletter!!!!

      Cymdeithas Cymry Nottingham
      http://cymryycanolbarth.blogspot.com/

      Welsh community news from Sydney, New South Wales.
      http://www.bethnesaf.org/

      NINNAU means "us" or "we also" and is pronounced "nin-eye." Answering the need for a stronger link between the many Welsh communities of North America. http://www.ninnau.com

      Welsh recipe of the week! Any recipes your proud of please let us know and we will share it with the Welsh World!!!!
      Big Thanks to Owen Jones from Barry, Vale of Glamorgan for the below recipe!
      Cawl Lafwr (Laver Soup).
      Laver, an edible seaweed collected from the rocks around the Welsh coast, is used to make this nourishing, thick vegetable soup.
      4 ozs butter 3 ozs laverbread
      2 medium onions, peeled & chopped 2 pints lamb stock
      3 medium potatoes, peeled & chopped Salt & black pepper
      1 medium carrot, peeled & chopped ½ level teaspn castor sugar
      A little chopped fresh
        parsley for garnish

      Melt the butter in a saucepan and cook the vegetables until lightly brown. Stir in the laver and the stock, bring to the boil and simmer, covered for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Allow to cool a little, then sieve or liquidise. Return to a clean saucepan, add the seasoning and sugar and reheat thoroughly. Pour into bowls and garnish with parsley.
      Serves 4.
      http://welsh-products-online.co.uk/

      Welsh events for the future!!!

      Come to Iowa, home of the wild rose, for
      Cwrs y Rhosyn Gwyllt - The Wild Rose Course!
      From July 13 - 20, 2008, Cymdeithas Madog's Cwrs Cymraeg will be returning to Simpson College in Indianola, Iowa, for Cwrs y Rhosyn Gwyllt, the Wild Rose Course.
      The Board of Directors and Local Committee are already hard at work making plans for next summer--we hope that your plans will include Cwrs Cymraeg! Stay tuned for more announcements, and check the Cymdeithas Madog website for updates at http://www.madog.org
      Reserve your place early by sending a check or money order for $100, in US funds, to the registrar.  It will be applied to the cost of registration.
      Shirley McKee
      Registrar, Cymdeithas Madog
      3033 Willowbrook Way
      Beavercreek OH 45431-7702
      USA
      Email: registrar@...
      http://www.madog.org

      North American Welsh Choir in Welsh Patagonia, October 2008
      Please join me and the North American Welsh Choir on tour in Welsh Patagonia and Buenos Aires in October 2008.
      Singers and non-singers are welcome!
      For more information check out this link:
      http://nawr.com/corcymry/patagonia2008.shtml
      Or contact us at
      Welshpatagonia2008@...
      (973)-746-0654
      Come help us celebrate our 10th anniversary.  We’ll even be competing in the Welsh Patagonia Eisteddfod.
      Cofion gorau,
      Mari Morgan

      Montreal Canada
      CôR Meibion Cymraeg Montréal Welsh Male Choir
      The World renowned Montreal Welsh Male Choir
      have, after two successful past concerts at the
      Royal Albert Hall, been asked  to jointly sing
      with other Welsh choirs from around  the world
      this September 16th at Carnegie Hall New York
      City.
      For more information follow this link
      http://www.welshmalechoir.montreal.qc.ca/Temporgin/tours.htm
      Sidney John Watkins
      orbit@...

      Llandybie Male Voice Choir
      We will be visiting Niagara Falls and Philadelphia during September and October of this year - arriving in Philadelphia on Friday 26 September and leaving Friday 3 October 2008.  We have a concert arranged at the Quaker Meeting House, Arch Street, Philadelphia on Saturday 27 September and would like another venue on Sunday or Monday if at all possible. This would allow us a few days for sightseeing.  We are also trying to obtain two harps for each of our venues (as well as the usual requirement for Piano accompaniment) as we have two harpists of International reknown travelling with us.  We would be most grateful for any help we may receive from anyone who can provide us with our requests.  We already have concerts in Niagara Falls and in Niagara on the Lake during our tour.
      Would anyone who can help with the harps please contact Jennifer Jones-Doolan on JJHarp32@... or contact me on dbjones53@...
      Our choir is one of the oldest in the land and is celebrating its Centenary Year this year - Côr Meibion Llandybie (Llandybie Male Voice Choir)
      I look forward to hearing from anyone who is in a position to be of assistance to us.
      Diolch am unrhyw weithrediad i'n cynorthwyo
      Hwyl
      David B Jones
      Cyfarwyddwr Cerdd
      Director of Music
      Côr Meibion Llandybie

      If you wish to discuss or debate everything about Wales and Welshness please join our Yahoo group. You don't have to be from Arizona or even Welsh to join. Just a healthy interest in the Welsh Current Affairs/Language and Culture -
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WelshLanguageofAz

      Gwersi Cymraeg all over the world!!!!!!!!!!

      Boston Welsh Lessons - Dysgwch Gymraeg yn Boston
      Are you around the Boston area and would like to learn Welsh? Aled Llion Jones, currently teaching Welsh at Harvard University, plans to offer free evening classes in Cambridge. Classes will start for absolute beginners as soon as enough names come in and a suitable time is arranged.
      Contact ajones@...

      Learn Welsh online The first ever online Welsh language learning course is now being offered by the Madog Center for Welsh Studies at the University of Rio Grande, Ohio.The first 15 week long course has been highly successful and the Madog Centerare now offering a second course which will start shortly.The non-credit fee for the course is $229.If you are interested contact Dr. Tim Jilg, (740) 245-7186 or email welsh@...
       for details.For more information about how the course works, click here:
      http://faculty.rio.edu/tjilg/classnotes.htm
      For a sample of the course, click here:
      http://madog.rio.edu/lingo/sample.htm
      Dr. Timothy Jilg Cyfarwyddwr/Director
      Canolfan Madog ar gyfer Astudiaethau Cymreig Madog Center for Welsh Studies
      Prifysgol Rio GrandeUniversity of Rio GrandeRio Grande, OH45674(740) 245-7186 welsh@...

      Welsh language lessons in the Minneapolis For Welsh language lessons in the Minneapolis areacontact Laurel Bradshaw at llawryf@... . I havestudents at a variety of levels, so feel free to jumpin any time! Time and place is arranged among the students.Laurel Bradshaw llawryf@...

      Awstralia

      Melbourne
      Come and join the Welsh Classes run by Tafod y Cymry. They are held in the city centre at 7.00pm on a Tuesday night at the Celtic Club, 316-320 Queen St (Cnr Queen and La Trobe Sts). The Tara Bar for the Welsh Night and a pint at around 8.45pm wada@... to check term dates

      Sydney, Welsh Classes Learn Cymraeg (Welsh) at West Ryde on Tuesday nights at 7:00 pm (best to arrive at 6:30 pm to socialise with fellow class members beforehand). Easy walk from West Ryde railway station.
      All levels catered for: beginners to advanced.
      For information on language classes please contact Gary O'Shea:
      Tel 02 9807 5265

      Welsh League of Arizona hosts Welsh Classes all year round. For further information please contact them directly - tel: 623 939 0209 or e-mail: AZWELSH@.... For further information about our activities please check out their website: www.welshleagueofarizona.org Want to learn the basics of Welsh check this section: http://www.welshleagueofarizona.org/cymraeg.html

      Welsh Lessons in Chicago  Contact Winston Evans at winstone@... for further details of times and locations of Welsh Lessons in the Chicago area.

      Please forward this newsletter to whoever you think might be interested or pass on their e-mail address to us. If you receive duplications please let us know!! We do apologies we have over 19,000 e-mail addresses on the mailing list and growing quickly!!!

      Please sign our guestbook it's great hearing from you - http://www.efreeguestbooks.com/mg/guest.pl?61331:9:0

      Dwedodd Dewi Sant/Saint David said"Gwnewch y pethau bychain"
      "Do the little things"
      Carwyn Lloyd Edwards
      1109 E Del Rio Street
      Gilbert
      Arizona
      85295
      Tel: 480 560 1577 neu 480 963 1673 fax: 480 963 1673
      carwynedwards993@...

      Miss your Messenger buddies when on-the-go? Get Messenger on your Mobile!