RE: [walesdna] Any interest in Welsh DNA on this yahoo group?

  • brian swann
    Message 1 of 20 , May 20, 2008
      Message
    • ljcrain2
      Message 2 of 20 , May 20, 2008
        Brian; This is not my ancestor, but that of a prospective member who has traced his Morgan ancestor to Nottinghamshire in the 1700's.

        We were trying to figure out what a Morgan was doing in that part of England at that time.

        Alani; Grace Moses wrote an excellent book about John Lewis; The Welsh Lineage of John Lewis.

        His ancient ancestors were of the Votadini tribe, a tribe from the migrations of Celts from the Caucasus area in Asia, crossing Europe and finally settling the British Isles. Said to be ca 250 AD. They were invited in to help expell the Scotti.

        We have 5 representatives of this group in Group 5 in the Lewis DNA project. R1b1b2

        There is a lot of info on http://www.LegendofLewis.com , including an interview with Grace Moses (now deceased).

        John Lewis had two wives in Wales, both of whom predeceased him. The second was named Joan and represent another Lewis family. Moses' book is fascinating and well worth purchasing.

        Janet Lewis Crain

        Message 3 of 20 , May 20, 2008
          For the purpose of analysis and matching haplotypes, we should all put
          our haplotype information into Ysearch.org. It doesn't matter who
          your test lab is, you can enter your information there. In Ysearch,
          I'm RXYKH. Through Ysearch I've found the following two that seem to
          be related (perhaps 1000 years ago):
          WTDAE Morgan from Pontypool, Wales
          KRXND Evans from Mercer or Merthyr, Wales
          The three of us have two slower moving and somewhat unusual markers of
          YCAIIa=18 and 406S1=11.
          Make sure to enter your most distant paternal ancestor surname and
          location into Ysearch.

          There is also a "project" of verified Wales descendent Y DNA
          haplotypes at this web site.
          http://www.genpage.com/walesdnaproject.html
          You can see all the surnames represented. I've seen many, if not
          most, of the surnames from this Yahoo mail group on this project.
          The following web page (from the this project) has the detailed
          haplogroup and haplotype information on it.
          http://www.familytreedna.com/public/WalesDNA/index.aspx?fixed_columns=on

          If you would like to join the project you can join by clicking on the
          "join code" link, but I think you have to have your haplotype results
          with FTDNA to join.

          If you don't know your deep sub-clade and you are something common
          like an R1b or I, I definitely recommend doing some deep clade testing
          with your lab.

          Since my predicted clade is R1b1b2 (aka R1b1c or R-M269) is so common
          I've got both the FTDNA "Deep Clade-R" test and "rs34276300" (aka
          S116) tests in process right now.

          http://www.genealogical.com/products/The%20Welsh%20Lineage%20of%20John%20Lewis%20(1592-1657)%20Emigrant%20to%20Gloucester%20Virginia/9263.html

          > Janet Lewis Crain
        • Susan Rosine
          Message 4 of 20 , May 20, 2008
            My dad is already in Ysearch QSCQ3, Warren James, Hg R1b1b2
            Susan