Latest News from Wales and the World! Oct 21st - 2007!

  • carwyn edwards
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21, 2007

      Editor’s notes:

       “Latest News from Wales and the World” office had taken a break for the last couple of weeks! (Not due to the Welsh rugby team poor performance in the World cup) But due to changing situations in my professional/personal activities!!  I do apologies for the publication absence.  Regular service starts today!   Can I thank the hundreds of people enquiring about  Latest News from Wales and the World” over the last few weeks!!  I wish that spreading Welsh news globally would be my prime objective.  But like many thousands of Welsh ambassadors all over the planet we do this voluntary because of our passion for Cymru!!!

      Take advantage of our promotional rates and at the same time help the Welsh League of Arizona promote Wales - the language, culture and information around the world. Highlight your website with us. We have boosted websites traffic from 70 hits a day to 1500 hits a day after appearing in our Newsletter for only one week!! We have around 16,000 and growing every day, our readers include: Welshexpats/politicians/journalists/authors/academics/poets/rock stars/business people and a global audience for whatever personal reason are mad about Wales! "Latest News from Wales - Newsletter" is the place to be! For more information how to appear on the front end of our newsletter please contact us: E-mail: carwynedwards993@... or cymru20012000@...

      Please check out these Welsh related websites. Their support helps our activities!

      Spillers Records, Cardiff, Wales - the oldest record shop in the world, stocking Welsh music of all genres. International delivery. http://www.spillersrecords.com

      Photographer, Adrian Jones has a website with a series of greeting cards from South Wales."NEW CARDS FOR CHRISTMAS" and a calendar from a new set of images for Christmas photographed in South Wales.NEW ON-LINE ORDERING AVAILABLE - NEW PRICES!

      http://www.rainbow-images.co.uk/

      Please let us know if you have any Announcements/Up coming events/Press releases/Questions or Comments. It's always great to hear from our readers!!! E-mail: carwynedwards993@... or cymru20012000@...

      Latest Welsh News - Newyddion Diweddaraf !

      Full story - click here - http://www.welshleagueofarizona.org/news.html

      - Robeson secret speech anniversary  - Fifty years after he secretly spoke to a miners' eisteddfod from America, singer and civil rights campaigner Paul Robeson is being remembered in Wales.

      - Russell Crowe to revisit his roots in North Wales - HOLLYWOOD star Russell Crowe will visit North Wales to trace his family’s roots.

      - Fabled story of the Welsh princes inspires new tourism trail - Top American author Sharon Penman has written a trilogy based on the Welsh princes which features a host of real locations in North Wales.

      - Awards judge amazed at transformation of Welsh tourism - A CHEESE company, a Victorian country house and even Native American teepees were all among the winners at an awards ceremony

      - 'World belongs to the young'  - Mr Moritz – estimated to be worth $1.3bn and at 380th in the Forbes 400 list of wealthiest Americans – was speaking at a meeting of Cardiff Business Club

      -  Island family picked after search  - A landscape gardener and his family from Wales have been picked to move to a Hebridean island following a worldwide search for new residents.

      - Music academic 'banned from US'  - A Welsh academic who lived and worked in the United States for 10 years has spent over a year trying to discover why she has not been allowed to return.

      - Cofnodi rôl y Cymry yn America   - Bydd "Keeping up with the Joneses" yn Harriton House yn Philadelphia, Pensylfania, tan Dachwedd 22, 2007.

      Readers Comments - Geiriau gan yr darllenwyr!

      Name: Godfrey Reynolds

      Email: gdreynolds@...

      just like to say what a great site you have, i would like to hear from

      any ex Merthyr Tydfil ex pats who

       wish to have a chat,theres not many in NZ regards Godfrey

      Name: Dewi Thomas Francis

      Email: dewifrancis79@...

      I'm originally from Cardiff but now live in Dallas with my wife.

      I coach football (soccer) full time for a living.

      We have started cardiff City supporters group for North America.  Please check us out!!!

      Bluebirds USA

      http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5017364532

      Fi'n dod o Gaerdydd n wreiddiol

      ond nawr yn yn Dallas gyda'r wraig. Fi'n hyfforddwr pel-droed llawn amser gyda

      clwb ieunctid y Dallas Texans.

      Cymru am Byth,

      Dewi.

      Australia
      My name is Bob Newton. Some years ago I wrote to Wales trying to trace any relatives there without success. My late father wrote letters home
       from there during the 1st World War. The date on the postcard is DEC 1st 1916. The name on the
      postcard was C/o Mr. J.T. Newton. 5 Edward St., Mardy. Rhonda. Glam Wales, although I have
      been told since that the name is spelt Maerdy.  J.T Newton was an uncle of my dads, I
      am wondering if anyone knows if there are any relatives that still exist. Looking forward with anticipation to any information that will lead me to find my relatives.  My email address is inverburra@... and my home address is 20 Kenneth St.  Inverloch, Victoria, Australia.  Regards, Bob Newton.

      New Jersey

       I wish to learn Welsh in the New Jersey area.

      Looking for fellow Welsh learners or enthusiasts to get together.

      Diolch am eich sylw!!
      Seraffa Shagoury

      the_red_dragoness@...

       Pontypridd Rugby Football Club

      How about giving some exposure to the no. 1 rugby team from the South Wales Valleys - Pontypridd Rugby Football Club?

      As I understand it, numerous Arizonans (?) from the Rhondda area made the journey to the US, and Pontypridd has a great history amongst the coalfields. Not only that, but Pontypridd was also the birthplace of two of our most famous sons - Tom Jones and "Hen Wlad fy Nhadau" - the Welsh National Anthem.

      The Pontypridd RFC website can be found at

      www.ponty.net.

      Cofion gorau ~ Best regards,

      Owen Williams

      owza@...

      Pontypridd, Cymru.

      Fflics:Wales Screen Classics Film Festival , taking place in Aberystwyth between the 25-28 of October

      http://www.fflics.co.uk/news/

      Shanghai

      Gyrraf air i holi a oes gan rywun wybodaeth am genhadon
       o Ogledd Cymru a aeth dramor yn genhadon tua 1800-1900.
       Efallai fod yna Gyfundrefn Genhadol a fyddai o gymorth imi.
       Aeth cyfnither i fy nain o Gynwyd, ger Corwen,yn ferch ifanc
       drosodd i Shanghai,ac yno bu yn byw gweddith ei hoes.
       Byddaf yn ddiolchgar iawn am unrhyw wybodaeth.

      Diolch yn fawr,
      Eryl Roberts-Shaw.
      erylrobertsshaw@...

      Apartado de Correos 443,
      Fuengirola 29640,
      Malaga, Sbaen. Tel/Fax Sbaen 952660632

       Auckland Welsh.

      In early August the Welsh ran a mid Winter Dinner and on Sun 16th at 1.00pm there will be  a 'cawl' and welsh cakes afternoon. Some of our rugby supporters will be in France and Wales, but we hope to contact new welsh people who have made Auckland their home.

      At the end of August the annual Four Nations Rugby and netball tournament was held. The netball coached by Raewyn Henry did not quite win this year. The rugby tournament was 10 aside and Auckland Wales did  win one game. However all games were closely contested.

      A number of our members are now in France or Wales  to support both Wales who aim to make the quarter finals   and the All Blacks who we hope will win the tournament which they have not done for 20 years.

      pob hwyl a benith i bawb

      Derek Williams (Llywydd)

      derekmw@...

      Hello, My name's Phil Duggan I'm a 55 year old and

      I live in the Rhondda. I want to invite you,and your

      members, to the World Welsh Society.

      I have built a community building in Kaneva, a

      virtual reality world on the internet. I ask you,

      please go to utube and search for - Kaneva World

      Welsh Society - the video will show you the

      possibilities of my idea.

      I broadcasted on BBC Radio Wales this

      Wednesday at about 2:00pm. Telling the people of

      Wales about the society.To hear the broadcast go

      to BBC Radio Wales and listen to the Roy Noble

      Show for Wednesday. My bit is in the first 20 minutes of the show.

      This is a brand new concept ( the paint's still wet )

      and I want to get as much response and help that I

      can. This is a fledgling society...at this moment we

      have only seven members...but I am sure that it will

      grow.  It's an exciting concept and I hope that you and

      your members will join. Just think, Welshmen and

      Welshwomen from every corner of the globe, able

      to talk in real time together, exchange memories

      and media all under the same roof.

      All of this is completely free. There are no charges

      whatsoever. All you need is a broadband

      connection and you will be there.

      Please give this your most serious consideration,

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPBSzAoIpvw World Welsh Society video

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku3SO--_WGk World Welsh Society on BBC Radio Wales

      any questiones just email me.

      Many thanks,

      Phil Duggan

      philduggan3@...

      Ely, South Wales

      I am desperately searching for an old WAAF pal.

      We were stationed at Wick,Caithness, Scotland, in WW 2

       Her married name was Welsh nee Mortimer and her home was Ely, South Wales.

      Jean nee Grant.

      California

      SnowGrant@...

      Rocky Trip

      The route of the Welsh in Patagonia.

      “From Wales to Patagonia – In Rocky Trip, Sergio Sepiurka and Jorge Miglioli explore the successful evolution of the Welsh Colony in Chubut. It is surely the most complete investigation that has been published on this matter.” From the La Nación newspaper Enfoques supplement

      Editor notes: A stunning book covering the Welsh communities in Patagonia.  A must for all!!!

      http://www.rockytrip.com/

      ACTIVIDADES CULTURALES

      http://literasur.blogspot.com/

      www.grahamedavies.com

      In October 2007, Grahame Davies will be spending three weeks in the United States on a literary tour. On October 13, he will be paying a return visit to perform a reading at the Festival of Welsh Heritage at Delta, Then on October 16, he will be lecturing on antisemitism at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. There's a story on the visit here. On the afternoon of October 28, he will be doing a reading at the Chi Dance Centre in Westport, Connecticut, and at 6.30pm on October 30, he will be reading at the North American launch of Everything Must Change at the Wales International Centre in the Chrysler Building, New York City. The air travel for the tour has been paid for by Wales Arts International.

      Ym mis Hydref 2007, bydd Grahame Davies yn treulio tair wythnos yn yr Unol Daleithiau ar daith lenyddol. Ar Hydref 13, bydd yn ymweld eto â Delta, Pennsylvania i wneud darlleniad yng ngwyl treftadaeth Gymreig yr ardal. Wedyn ar Hydref 16, bydd yn darlithio ar bwnc gwrthsemitiaeth ym Mhrifysgol Yale yn New Haven, Connecticut. Ar brynhawn Hydref 28, bydd yn gwneud darlleniad yn y Chi Dance Centre yn Westport, Connecticut, ac am 6.30pm ar Hydref 30, bydd yn darllen yn lansiad Gogledd America y nofel Everything Must Change yng Nghanolfan Ryngwladol Cymru yn yr Adeilad Chrysler, Efrog Newydd. Talwyd y costau awyr ar gyfer y daith gan Celfyddydau Rhyngwladol Cymru.
      Diolch,
      Grahame Davies.
      www.grahamedavies.com

      Bedydd

      Congratulations  to 'Caleb Gwyn Jones' the son of Gareth Gwyn and Marie Louse Jones of Boston Mass, who was baptised at Orillia, Canada, on Sunday the second of September with his proud Welsh grandparents from Bangor Gwynedd in attendance.

      Diwrnod i gofio.

      Mary a Gwyn Jones

      FFRWDWIN@...

      Pontarddulais Male Choir

      Concert
      October 20, 2007
      7:30PM
      Washington DC
      Church of the Epiphany
      13th and G St, NW
      Tickets 301-654-5832

      Concert
      October 22, 2007
      7:30PM
      New York City, NY
      Central Labor Council Building
      31 W 15th St.
      Tickets 516-623-5661

      (General Information)
      Email gwylym@... Phone 570-785-5164

      http://www.pontarddulaismalechoir.com/latest_news.php?newsitem=30

      Keeping Up With the Joneses In USA Museums

      New York, NY-

      Keeping Up With the Joneses in USA Museums

       Paintings from the National Museum of Wales can be viewed in the USA as follows:

       Three Turners at the J.M.W Turner exhibition in the National Gallery of Art, Washington. Showing now until January 6th 2008. The Sower by Millet and a portrait of Williams Wynn can be seen at the Walters Art Museum, Baltimore (October 7th - January 6th 2008), and at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston (October 21st - January 27th 2008) respectively.
       Also, in Spring 2009, the National Museum of Wales' "Davies" collection of impressionist and post-impressionist paintings - From Turner to Cezanne - will begin its 13 month tour of the USA.
      Contact: E-Mail: Rebecca.Jenkins2@...  for more information.

      Saint David’s Society of Hong Kong
      Hong Kong Welsh Male Voice Choir 30th Anniversary Concert

      On behalf of the SDS Committee, I would like to inform you of a very special forthcoming event for your diary.The Hong Kong Welsh Male Voice Choir will be having their 30th Anniversary Concert on Sunday November 11th.
      The event will be held at the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts, 1 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai at 8:00 pm.
      Tickets can be purchased through Hong Kong Ticketing:
      Telephone hotline: 31 288 288
      Internet booking at:
      http://www.hkticketing.com
      Please find a link for the seating plan: http://www.hkapa.edu/asp/general/general_venues_concert.asp?mode=gui&lang=eng
      Look forward to seeing you there!,
      Kind regards
      Richard
      Crosbie

      richard.crosbie@...

      COMUNICADO DE PRENSA

      ASOCIACIÓN SAN DAVID de TRELEW

      CYMANFA GANU-REUNION DE CANTO CONGREGACIONAL

      El dia sábado 20 de Octubre a las 16 hs. en la antigua  Capilla Galesa GLAN ALAW- de la Zona de Bethesda-ubicada en la margen norte del Río Chubut, en las cercanías de la localidad de DOLAVON se efectuará una nueva reunión de Canto Congregacional- Cymanfa Ganu-

      Los invitamos cordialmente a participar del mismo.

      Es de destacar que ésta Capilla, una de las más pequeñas del  Valle del Chubut, se construyó en el año 1887.

      Asociacion San David

      trelewsandavid@...

      Green Mountain College Welsh Harvest Festival

      Poultney, VT:The campus community and the public are invited to the annual Welsh Harvest Festival on Saturday, October 20. Featured musical artists will be Jodee James and Green Mountain College Choir(Cor Y Mynydd Glas).Festivities take place from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Cerridwen Farm. There will be a host of activities such as field games, cider making, story telling, scarecrow making and a bonfire. Visitors will have the chance to tour a haunted barn, sample Welsh food or take a hay ride. From 1 p.m. to 6 p.m., the Feick Arts Center hosts an exhibit of Welsh printmaking. The Welsh Harvest Festival annually pays tribute to the unique Welsh culture of Poultney and its surrounding communities. The event is free and open to the public. For more information, email GMC Farm Director Kenneth Mulder or call 287- 8277.

      For Immediate Release

       For Further Information:

      (908) 459-5524

      (802) 287-8277

      mulderk@...

      jodeejames@...

      The online magazine that celebrates all things Welsh!

      10th Anniversary

       The 10th Anniversary Issue of Cambria

      http://www.cambriamagazine.com/

      CD of Welsh and Celtic melodies

      Annwyl cyfeillion / Dear friends,

       I am sending this message to Welsh American and Welsh Canadian societies in order to let you know about a CD that might be of interest.  Anthony Griffiths is one of Wales' foremost acoustic guitar players, and his CD, Ysbryd: The Spirit of the Celtic Guitar, contains 32 melodies, some of which will be familiar to you and all of which should ease your hiraeth and relax your mind.

       Further information can be found online at http://themabinogi.googlepages.com/ysbryd.

       Please feel free to pass this message on to your members or to others who might be interested.

       Yn gywir / Sincerely,

      John Bollard
      jkbollard@...

      Country life in rural Wales.

      'Harness Racing' (If you come back home to Wales try not to miss this type of charming and skillful country event. Hope this video wets your appetite)

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLbxYjnfq8E

      A Craft and country fair at the old Erwood Railway station in rural Mid Wales.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK42t5y8So4

      Celtic version of the Welsh National Anthem sung on the banks of the River Edw. It was near where the Edw meets the Wye that Llewelyn slept in a cave 700 years ago before fighting the Anglo/Normans. He was killed at Cilmery (the memorial to Llewelyn is a prominent landmark)  His head was taken for display in London, his body buried at Abbey Cym Hir (The Abbey in the Long Valley) Find this tranquil spot deep in the forested hills north of  Llandrindod Wells and towards Rhyader.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUWd2CrAXj4

      100 Voice Concert" or in Welsh, "Cyngerdd y Cant", featuring the Toronto Welsh Male Voice Choir, the Burlington Welsh Male Chorus and Gwenan Gibbard, the soloist and harpist visiting from Wales, for this extra-special 100th Anniversary Weekend of Dewi Sant Welsh United Church, the only Welsh Church in Canada. The two world renown Choirs will be singing separately and then joining together in the Cyngerdd y Cant.

       The "100 Voice Concert" will take place on Saturday, October 20th at 7:00 p.m. at Yorkminster Park Baptist Church, 1585 Yonge Street, (Yonge and St.Clair), in Toronto. Tickets $25.00. You may purchase Tickets by sending a cheque to Dewi Sant Welsh United Church, 33 Melrose Avenue, Toronto M5M 1Y6, Attention: Bonnie Booth, 416-485-7583 or through TICKETBREAK at www.dewisant.com  or www.TICKETBREAK.com You may also contact me at 416-443-9737.

       If you are not able to attend would you kindly send this to those on your e-mail list and perhaps we can circle the world?

       Diolch yn fawr

       Blessings on you all.

      Bonnie

      bjbooth@...

      CHECK OUT ALL THE LATEST NEWS FROM BLUEBIRDS DOWNUNDER INCLUDING;

      SPENCER PRIOR GUEST AT NEXT BDU GATHERING

      DOES FREE BEER AND WATCHING WALES BEAT OZ AT RUGBY INTEREST YOU?

      WESTERN MAIL – BDU CASE STUDIES

      A MESSAGE FROM HALF TIME WAYNE

      NEXT BDU GATHERINGS IN SYDNEY AND ADELAIDE CONFIRMED

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

    • dena_james@netzero.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 21, 2007
        A web site for those interested in their roots from Wales
        www.genpage.com/walesdnaproject.html
        This is a dna trace for information on your family tree
        There is also a Wales-West dna group just starting up which some may be interested in.
        Arnold James -Vancouver Washington usa