Llewellyn

  • arianrhodb4
    Message 1 of 9 , May 10, 2012
      Hi everyone. I'm new with the group and thought I would post something about myself. I've done an Mtdna test with DNA Consultants and took the test with 23andme and then moved my genome over to Family Tree with the Relative-Finder Transfer.

      I'm a T2 and my Llewellyn line starts with my great great grandmother, Sarah Llewellyn born ca 1800 who married Noah Vernon. Her parents were Thomas Llewellyn Jr. and Elizabeth Powers. Thomas parents were Thomas Sr. and wife unknown. Thomas Sr.'s parents were Samuel Llewellyn and Hannah Anne Jones. Hannah's parents were Richard Jones and Jane Evans.

      I don't know who Elizabeth Powers' parents were and could use some help there. Also, with the wife of Thomas Llewellyn Jr.

      I am on gedmatch along with my 2 sisters. Our numbers are: Me M130516, sister Carol Kursave M064159, sister Arla Barnett M111245. Our maiden name is Christian. Our Christian line goes back to the Isle of Man.

      I look forward to meeting you,
    • Marian Franklin
      Message 2 of 9 , May 10, 2012
        Hi, my mother's family were all Welsh immigrants to the US from Denbighshire, Cardiganshire and Montgomeryshire. Three of my mtdna matches had direct maternal ancestors born in Wales - Glamorganshire, Montgomeryshire and Carmarthanshire. We are all mtdna Hg. T2b20 with a rare HVR2 263A, the same as the CRS. I have not seen any Christians among my matches at FF but if you used a married name I could look and see if you are there. I think that there is a Christian ancestor of one of my matches. Evans, Hughes, Parsonage and other Welsh names, too.
        HVR1 - 16126C 16294T 16296T 16302C 16519C
        HVR2 - 73G 309.1C 315.1C

        My Welsh ancestors were: Alban, Davies, Morgan, Jenkins, Hughes, Lloyd, Williams, Evans and my 2nd greatgrandfather William Evans married a Llewellyn, 1863 Ohio, 2nd wife. There were also Bryans and Morgans on my father's side.

        I'm not at Gedmatch yet.
        Marian

        Message 3 of 9 , May 10, 2012

          Hi Marion, My name would be under Kathleen Christian Rogalla. My hap is T2a1a. Here are my HVR numbers:

          HVR1
          16126 C   16294T  16296T  16519C

          HVR2
          73C  263G  315.1C

          My Llewellyn line was definitely from Wales but that was  my great great grandmother’s father. Her maternal line goes through Elizabeth Powers and I don’t know who she was.

          I also have the names Morgan, 2 Davis lines, a Lewis line and 2 Evan’s lines from Wales.

          Kathleen

          Subject: Re: [walesdna] Llewellyn

          Message 4 of 9 , May 12, 2012
            --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "arianrhodb4" <chasesthewind@...> wrote:

            > I'm a T2 and my Llewellyn line starts with my great great grandmother, >Sarah Llewellyn born ca 1800 who married Noah Vernon. Her parents were >Thomas Llewellyn Jr. and Elizabeth Powers. Thomas parents were Thomas >Sr. and wife unknown. Thomas Sr.'s parents were Samuel Llewellyn and >Hannah Anne Jones. Hannah's parents were Richard Jones and Jane Evans.

            You really need to supply birth locations and years with the names since there's a tiny pool of names used again and again.
            Even in one Welsh village I couldn't trace one marriage properly because four different women with the same name and approximate age got married in one calendar quarter. I've found other families duplicated several times over, that is father, mother and children ALL with the same set of names, but in different parts of Wales at the same time.
          • Kathleen
            Message 5 of 9 , May 12, 2012
              I sent a message yesterday to the group with detailed information. Did it not go out?

              Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:53 AM
              Subject: [walesdna] Re: Llewellyn

              --- In mailto:walesdna%40yahoogroups.com, "arianrhodb4" <chasesthewind@...> wrote:

              > I'm a T2 and my
              Llewellyn line starts with my great great grandmother, >Sarah Llewellyn born ca 1800 who married Noah Vernon. Her parents were >Thomas Llewellyn Jr. and Elizabeth Powers. Thomas parents were Thomas >Sr. and wife unknown. Thomas Sr.'s parents were Samuel Llewellyn and >Hannah Anne Jones. Hannah's parents were Richard Jones and Jane Evans.

              You really need to supply birth locations and years with the names since there's a tiny pool of names used again and again.
              Even in one Welsh village I couldn't trace one marriage properly because four different women with the same name and approximate age got married in one calendar quarter. I've found other families duplicated several times over, that is father, mother and children ALL with the same set of names, but in different parts of Wales at the same time.

            • wes prichard
              Message 6 of 9 , May 12, 2012

                I hate to say this, but, my impression is that it's far easier to trace Welsh family ancestry
                starting after the Welsh came to the America.

                In one of my favorite movies, The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill And Came Down A Mountain it talks about the fact that the Welsh names are so alike that the Welsh took names like, Jones The Cabbage, becuase he grew a prize winning cabbage, or Jones the Butcher because that's what his profession was.

                In the great and funny Ealing Films movie. A Run For Your Money, in a film that is too stereotypical Welsh for some Welsh, there is a funny scene at the train station where they are looking for our hero's and half the train of Welshmen think they are being called.  Wear a Leek on Saint David's Day...

                In the movie Zulus, it's revealed that the British Army had problems with the Welsh because there were so many  of the same names that they numbered each Welshman.

                Here America, my Welsh ancestors stood out because they lived in different places, married non Welsh.

                How many William's were there in Wales... Toss in a name like Hughes, Jones, Prichard,
                and its very hard to figure out anything.

                I know that I am descended from the Princes of Wales  because their children married into
                familes from Scotland and England and the records of these noble families are quit clear.

                I sometimes think of Wales as one big Clan.

                Check out the movie A Run For Your Money it's a classic and pays homage to the Welsh

                .
                According to one legend recorded by the English poet Michael Drayton in the early 1600’s, the leek was associated with St. David the Patron Saint of Wales who died in 589 AD. It is possible that the poet made up the story; however it tells how St. David ordered his soldiers to wear the leek on their helmets in a battle against the hated pagan Saxon invaders of Britain. The battle itself is also said to have taken place in a field full of leeks.

                > I'm a T2 and my Llewellyn line starts with my great great grandmother, >Sarah Llewellyn born ca 1800 who married Noah Vernon. Her parents were >Thomas Llewellyn Jr. and Elizabeth Powers. Thomas parents were Thomas >Sr. and wife unknown. Thomas Sr.'s parents were Samuel Llewellyn and >Hannah Anne Jones. Hannah's parents were Richard Jones and Jane Evans.

                You really need to supply birth locations and years with the names since there's a tiny pool of names used again and again.
                Even in one Welsh village I couldn't trace one marriage properly because four different women with the same name and approximate age got married in one calendar quarter. I've found other families duplicated several times over, that is father, mother and children ALL with the same set of names, but in different parts of Wales at the same time.

              • Janet Crain
                Message 7 of 9 , May 12, 2012

                  Thanks for this info and the movie suggestions.

                  Janet Lewis Crain

                  > I'm a T2 and my Llewellyn line starts with my great great grandmother, >Sarah Llewellyn born ca 1800 who married Noah Vernon. Her parents were >Thomas Llewellyn Jr. and Elizabeth Powers. Thomas parents were Thomas >Sr. and wife unknown. Thomas Sr.'s parents were Samuel Llewellyn and >Hannah Anne Jones. Hannah's parents were Richard Jones and Jane Evans.

                  You really need to supply birth locations and years with the names since there's a tiny pool of names used again and again.
                  Even in one Welsh village I couldn't trace one marriage properly because four different women with the same name and approximate age got married in one calendar quarter. I've found other families duplicated several times over, that is father, mother and children ALL with the same set of names, but in different parts of Wales at the same time.

                  No virus found in this message.

                • mikew_1964
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 13, 2012
                    --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, wes prichard <wesprichard@...> wrote:

                    > In the movie Zulu, it's revealed that the British Army had problems with the Welsh because there were so many of the same names that they numbered each Welshman.

                    I have Swedish ancestry also, where the patronymic system is more obvious to outsiders than the Welsh is and lasted even longer. Usually if you encounter a surname not ending in -son or -dotter, such as Sandstrom or Quist, then that name was assigned to an ancestor in the army to replace the endless number of Johannsons, Andersons, Perssons - I have a few Swedish Hussar ancestors in that category.
                  • mikew_1964
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 13, 2012
                      --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen" <chasesthewind@...> wrote:

                      > I sent a message yesterday to the group with detailed information. Did it not go out?

                      I see it now. It came later in a different thread, labelled with a different owner, so I didn't connect them ;-0