Re: [walesdna] Griffiths.

  • anon10@mac.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2012
      Wes, we have not been able to prove how our ancestors got to New England. That is the focus of our search now. Obviously, a bit of speculation is involved that helps us to string together disparate facts in order to identify the who/what/when/why of any emigration/immigration by ancestors.

      Thanks,
      Douglas

    • Brian P. Swann
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 9, 2012

        Dear Wes

        Did you ever get an answer to your question here?

        We have been away on holiday for a fortnight – so I have only just opened this message.

        The Haplogroup descriptors here is quite old and the field will have moved on very appreciablt compared to where this information came from.

        Brian

        cites that the R1b1 group shows in Euope at ...
        Wales National 65 92.3% Balaresque et al. (2009)[

        I am a Riba2 and records seem to to way way back.
        I can trace ancestors to some of the most notable Welsh. Here are the haplo groups of some.

        Gruffydd ap Cynan, King of Gwynedd, R1b1c7
        2. Rhys ap Tewdwr, King of Deheubarth, R1b1c7
        3. Bleddyn ap Cynfyn, King of Powys, R1b1c
        4. Elystan Glodrudd, King of Ferlys, R1b1c
        5. Iestyn ap Gwrgant, King of Morgannwg, R1bSTR47
        6. Ynyr, King of Gwent, R1bSTR47
        7. Rhodri Mawr, King of Wales, R1b1c7

        what does all this mean.
        DNA tribes shows their results.
        FTDNA shows theirs and wants you to keep buying their product.
        Ancestry.com now has theres and I show up as very Scandanavian with FTDNA I fit in with the Welsh Lewis lines.

        Some of this is paternal dna versus mitochondreal.
        Do these different grousp speak the same language? Ancestry has just started. So it looks to be a long road, can anybody shed some light on these subjects?

      • Trenton
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 9, 2012
          I don't know where I got signed up for this email list but I stay on it because it is interesting.

          None of my family have any really good records of much I would love to learn how to do the DNA based studies.

          My last name is Vaughan and I am told we came from Wales or Ireland, and possibly my families name is actually Taffley instead of Vaughan

          Where do I start?

          TRV~

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 9, 2012

            At the risk of stating the obvious – DNA tests only measure the descent of your Y-Chromosome DNA, if you are doing the standard tests.

            All the rest of the message says you have a lot of ancestors.  Don’t we all.

            Any form of DNA will only get at your male line – presumably Prichard, which is a very respectable Welsh surname.

            It may be possible to do increasing amounts of things with the Deep Ancestry/Haplogroup analyses - which are now changing with an almost bewildering frequency with the impact of human genome partial sequencing of the Y-chromosome as a result of multiple human genome projects around the world.  FTDNA do their very best to keep in touch with all that, but they are always a bit behind.

            The People of the British Isles Project run out of Oxford University will rewrite the genetic map of Britain – including Wales - and a lot of results should issue from that over the next 12 months.

            Brian

> [...]

              > Out of interest Wes, Are you able to provide information on your family line going back to these early ancestors. Do you have your family tree on Ancestry etc?
              > Regards,
              > Richard John
              >
              > To: walesdna@yahoogroups.com
              > From: dprice@...
              > Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 00:30:05 -0400
              > Subject: Re: [walesdna] Re: More Questions.M269

              > We make assumptions. Since they're not the same as
              > my Y-DNA (R1b1a2a1*) they must be mistaken or someone else snuck into my father
              > to son to son ... (paternal) ancestry other than the fellows
              > referenced below. They still might be still there but I must descend from

            • Janet Crain
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 9, 2012
                You should join the Vaughan Y chromosome DNA group at www.Familytreedna.com Go there and search for Vaughan.

                You may find you match Vaughan or any number of Welsh names. Or Taffley which is very English.

                If you find any documentation that your Y chromosome ancestor was in Wales before 1800, you will be eligible to join the Welsh DNA Group.

                But we're very glad to have you on this list.

                Janet Lewis Crain

[...]

                No virus found in this message.

              • RVA - Rusty Vaughan
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 9, 2012

                  TRV, I am John C (Rusty) Vaughan, Jr. I would suggest you get a DNA test first with FTDNA.com. Then you will see if you are a Vaughan and to what line you may belong.

                  Who is your oldest known Vaughan relative? I am happy to share my Vaughan research if I am close enough to help.

                  Rusty Vaughan

                  Maryland, USA

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 10, 2012
                    >> Any form of DNA will only get at your male line - presumably Prichard, which
                    is a very respectable Welsh surname.

                    And since Wales did not universally or uniformly move to inherited surnames until the beginning of the 19th century you have to lose attachment to a particular family name as it's pretty meaningless after a few generations. It does makes me wonder at the value of some of these surname groups on DNA sites.

                    >>My last name is Vaughan and I am told we came from Wales or Ireland, and possibly my families name is actually Taffley instead of Vaughan. Where do I start?

                    Doing good old-fashioned tracking of paper lineage through vital records and census information is the best way to start. I know 31/32 of my great^3 grandparents and there are fascinating stories all across the board, some of which I can trace back through the British Isles, Germany and Sweden for centuries beyond that.

                    Somewhat ironically, it's only my direct male ancestor who is missing from the 32 due to illegitimacy.