advice on SNP testing and grouping

  • Eddy
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2012
      Hi

      I am in Mikes 11-13 combo subgroup B2 and although had 107 markers wtih GENEBASE some critical markers are not testedand asmost research is via FTDNA i have changed over. my kit is 219571 and i have just had my 67 markers completed at last

      i am already tested to L21 (GENEBASE)and am negative so far for eveything like M222- L144-, L705 (which was asurprise!!) L226 etc.

      Just ordered L96, L314,2 and L513 as the last major groups under L1 i have not done yet!

      most of my matches at 37 or 67 are from Wales , and since my faterhs family all still live in Brynmawr, South Wales that is no surpise.

      Can anyone advise as to further testing or links with Welsh anscesty as my surname is Gardner/Gardiner but closest at GD of 2 is Watkins

      regards

      Eddy
    • George Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2012
        Eddy,

        You ARE NOT a R-L371+ Welsh Descendant from Wales.

        I suggest you do:

        (1) the FTDNA $89 Deep Clade Test.

        (2) Run your Y67 Markers through this tool http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/R_L21/SNP_Predictor/index.php

        (3) Do not get to hung up on surnames at this point ... i.e. my Jones line is GD od 2 at Y111 with a Griffith

        George Jones

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2012
          George, you have made it quite clear that you want YOUR info to be private, yet you seem to have no problem dispensing advice to those who have graciously made all their DNA results public. I have a major issue with this, and perhaps others on this list do as well, since some of them are admins for other projects from which you've withdrawn your results. Do you think it's a bit odd that you are able to take advantage of everyone else's results, while not sharing your own? If none of us shared, we wouldn't know anything about anything now, would we?

          From: George Jones <jonesge@...>
          Sender: walesdna@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 06:29:20 -0800 (PST)
          To: <walesdna@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: walesdna@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [walesdna] advice on SNP testing and grouping

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11, 2012
            George

            Thanks for a response so swiftly, i note i may not be RL 371+ although i have not tested that SNP as yet?

            However, i would expect there are a few other SNP's or L21 STR signatures that may point to welsh origins as i have history back to the early 1700's and current family there, so would like someone to guide me in how my STR is so close to Welsh surnames (as in 11-13 B2 combo group).

            I have deep clade tested with GENEBASE and my terminal is L21+ and i have done many lower SNP's sos far all negative although i have L513,96 and 314.2 results to come from FTDNA the recent 705- was a surprise?

            I have almost 120 STR markers now although recently have i ordered and got back the first 67 markers on FTDNA under kit 219571.

            I understand that surnames changed over time and were not in use before certain periods or changed so yes i know my occupational name means i am more likely to be historically linked to another and i have no issues with that, quite fscinating really.

            regards

            Eddy (UK)

            --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, George Jones <jonesge@...> wrote:

            > Eddy,
            > You ARE NOT a R-L371+ Welsh Descendant from Wales.
            > I suggest you do:
            > (1) the FTDNA $89 Deep Clade Test.
            > (2) Run your Y67 Markers through this tool http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/R_L21/SNP_Predictor/index.php
            > (3) Do not get to hung up on surnames at this point ... i.e. my Jones line is GD od 2 at Y111 with a Griffith
            >
            > George JonesJONESGE@...

          • Eddy
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 11, 2012