Re: [walesdna] Re: Lost Colony of Roanoke Investigaation Underway

  • alani2@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
      I know that one of my family surnames is Evans. In the
      late 1600's one of my ancestors, John Evans, lived in
      Brunswick County.

      Anita
      --- Janet Crain <ljcrain2@...> wrote:

      > Kristen; Thank you!!!
      >
      > Evans John 1585-1586
      > Griffyn Rowland 1585-1586
      > Jonas [?] 1586
      > Jones Griffen 1587
      > Jones Jane 1587
      > Jones John 1587
      > Matthew John 1587
      > Morgan Captain Mathew 1586
      > Powell Edward 1586
      > Powell Edward 1587
      > Powell Wenefrid 1587
      > Vaughan Captain 1585-1586
      > Vaughan Captain John 1586
      > Williams David 1585-1586
      >
      > Here are my suggestions for suspected Welsh heritage
      > of the Roanoke
      > Colonists.

      BARNES & NOBLE ONLINE PURCHASE - NOTES AND DOCUMENTS OF FREE PERSONS OF COLOR: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=9v5Ox3pAni&isbn=1411603338&itm=1

      Purchase Site for Tape of Anita Wills on Book TV:
      http://www.c-spanstore.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_video_info&products_id=188914-1

      I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all
      else falls away.
      ~ Oriah Mountain Dreamer~

      CREE INDIAN PROPHECY:

      ONLY AFTER THE LAST TREE HAS BEEN CUT DOWN,
      ONLY AFTER THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN POISONED,
      ONLY AFTER THE LAST FISH HAS BEEN CAUGHT,
      ONLY THEN WILL YOU FIND THAT MONEY CANNOT BE EATEN.
    • mwwalsh
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 23, 2007
        --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "ljcrain2" <ljcrain2@...> wrote:

        > It is not widely known, but some of John White's Colonists, later
        known as the Lost Colonists were reportedly Welsh. Many researchers
        believe that some of these people survived and formed alliances with
        the Indians as time went by. Groups were found 300 years later
        speaking Elizabethan English. Some Welsh speakers were also reported
        in various instances. These people bore many of the same or similar
        surnames as the members of the Lost Colony.
        > http://www.the-lost-colony.blogspot.com/
        >
        > Thank you so much.
        >
        > Janet Crain and Penny Ferguson
        > Searching for the Lost Colony Blog
        > Editors

        This is quite interesting. Could be red herring, but it might really
        be a connection. I have a Welsh (possibly mixed with Norman) descent
        pre-1170 and I personally don't have any lineage to the lost colony.

        However, I recently found my only 12 for 12 Y DNA match (other than my
        direct family) in Ysearch. His surname is Turner and he can trace his
        paternal lineage back to a Turner in Georgia (b. abt 1789) who fought
        in the War of 1812. In passing conversion, he told me he once
        received an email that his Y DNA test indicated he descended from the
        Roanoke/Croatan tribe. That was the only reason he had his DNA tested
        in the first place. A researcher (another Turner (female)) working on
        the lost colony asked him to.

        I'll contact him on this. Anyway, it does lead some credence that
        their were Welsh people in the lost colony.

        Michael W. Walsh
      • ljcrain2
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 25, 2007
          Michael; Thank you! I would appreciate that.

          Janet Crain