Re: Lost Colony of Roanoke Investigaation Underway

  • Janet Crain
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
      Kristen; Thank you!!!

      Evans John 1585-1586
      Griffyn Rowland 1585-1586
      Jonas [?] 1586
      Jones Griffen 1587
      Jones Jane 1587
      Jones John 1587
      Matthew John 1587
      Morgan Captain Mathew 1586
      Powell Edward 1586
      Powell Edward 1587
      Powell Wenefrid 1587
      Vaughan Captain 1585-1586
      Vaughan Captain John 1586
      Williams David 1585-1586

      Here are my suggestions for suspected Welsh heritage of the Roanoke
      Colonists.
    • alani2@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
        I know that one of my family surnames is Evans. In the
        late 1600's one of my ancestors, John Evans, lived in
        Brunswick County.

        Anita
        --- Janet Crain <ljcrain2@...> wrote:

        > Kristen; Thank you!!!
        >
        > Evans John 1585-1586
        > Griffyn Rowland 1585-1586
        > Jonas [?] 1586
        > Jones Griffen 1587
        > Jones Jane 1587
        > Jones John 1587
        > Matthew John 1587
        > Morgan Captain Mathew 1586
        > Powell Edward 1586
        > Powell Edward 1587
        > Powell Wenefrid 1587
        > Vaughan Captain 1585-1586
        > Vaughan Captain John 1586
        > Williams David 1585-1586
        >
        > Here are my suggestions for suspected Welsh heritage
        > of the Roanoke
        > Colonists.

        BARNES & NOBLE ONLINE PURCHASE - NOTES AND DOCUMENTS OF FREE PERSONS OF COLOR: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=9v5Ox3pAni&isbn=1411603338&itm=1

        Purchase Site for Tape of Anita Wills on Book TV:
        http://www.c-spanstore.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_video_info&products_id=188914-1

        I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all
        else falls away.
        ~ Oriah Mountain Dreamer~

        CREE INDIAN PROPHECY:

        ONLY AFTER THE LAST TREE HAS BEEN CUT DOWN,
        ONLY AFTER THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN POISONED,
        ONLY AFTER THE LAST FISH HAS BEEN CAUGHT,
        ONLY THEN WILL YOU FIND THAT MONEY CANNOT BE EATEN.
      • mwwalsh
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 23, 2007
          --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "ljcrain2" <ljcrain2@...> wrote:

          > It is not widely known, but some of John White's Colonists, later
          known as the Lost Colonists were reportedly Welsh. Many researchers
          believe that some of these people survived and formed alliances with
          the Indians as time went by. Groups were found 300 years later
          speaking Elizabethan English. Some Welsh speakers were also reported
          in various instances. These people bore many of the same or similar
          surnames as the members of the Lost Colony.
          > http://www.the-lost-colony.blogspot.com/
          >
          > Thank you so much.
          >
          > Janet Crain and Penny Ferguson
          > Searching for the Lost Colony Blog
          > Editors

          This is quite interesting. Could be red herring, but it might really
          be a connection. I have a Welsh (possibly mixed with Norman) descent
          pre-1170 and I personally don't have any lineage to the lost colony.

          However, I recently found my only 12 for 12 Y DNA match (other than my
          direct family) in Ysearch. His surname is Turner and he can trace his
          paternal lineage back to a Turner in Georgia (b. abt 1789) who fought
          in the War of 1812. In passing conversion, he told me he once
          received an email that his Y DNA test indicated he descended from the
          Roanoke/Croatan tribe. That was the only reason he had his DNA tested
          in the first place. A researcher (another Turner (female)) working on
          the lost colony asked him to.

          I'll contact him on this. Anyway, it does lead some credence that
          their were Welsh people in the lost colony.

          Michael W. Walsh
        • ljcrain2
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 25, 2007
            Michael; Thank you! I would appreciate that.

            Janet Crain