Re: Lost Colony of Roanoke Investigaation Underway

  • Janet Crain
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 9:49 AM
      I would really appreciate some of you looking through the names of
      interest found here:

      http://www.the-lost-colony.blogspot.com/

      and reporting which names you consider to be Welsh.

      It was David Beers Quinn, author of several highly respected books
      about the Lost Colony of Roanoke, who stated some of the colonists
      were Welsh.

      Janet Lewis Crain

      --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "Guy Sloop" <Welshdragon62@...>
      wrote:

      > I thought this was very interesting, I live in North Carolina were
      the Lost Colony was, this mystery has always been interesting to me.
      > I did not know that some of the Lost Colony people were of Welsh
      decent, interesting.
      > Some say that the Lumbee Indians that live in the Eastern part of
      North Carolina was the Indian Tribe that the Lost Colony intermixed
      with and became Lumbee Indians also, if you look at some Lumbee
      Indians, they have a European look to them.

      known as the Lost Colonists were reportedly Welsh. Many researchers
      believe that some of these people survived and formed alliances with
      the Indians as time went by. Groups were found 300 years later
      speaking Elizabethan English. Some Welsh speakers were also reported
      in various instances. These people bore many of the same or similar
      surnames as the members of the Lost Colony.

      > A new effort to solve the mystery of the Lost Colony is underway,
      using historical records, migration patterns, oral histories and the
      latest scientific archaeological tools of the 21st century,
      including DNA. This Blog will bring you the news from The Lost
      Colony Center for Science and Research in the form of announcements
      and guest author articles as this endeavor unfolds.

      > You can read more about it here, including the names of interest.
      If any of you have information about the possible Welsh background
      of the Colonists, it would be very much appreciated.

      > http://www.the-lost-colony.blogspot.com/
      >
      > Thank you so much.
      >
      > Janet Crain and Penny Ferguson
      > Searching for the Lost Colony Blog
      > Editors

    • Kristen Frederick
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 10:09 AM
        Evans John 1585-1586
        Griffyn Rowland 1585-1586
        Jonas [?] 1586
        Jones Griffen 1587
        Jones Jane 1587
        Jones John 1587
        Matthew John 1587
        Morgan Captain Mathew 1586
        Powell Edward 1586
        Powell Edward 1587
        Powell Wenefrid 1587
        Vaughan Captain 1585-1586
        Vaughan Captain John 1586
        Williams David 1585-1586

        Here are my suggestions for suspected Welsh heritage of the Roanoke Colonists.

        Kristen Frederick
        FTDNA Kit # 74902
        GenBank EF581833

      • Janet Crain

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1 11:08 AM
            I know that one of my family surnames is Evans. In the
            late 1600's one of my ancestors, John Evans, lived in
            Brunswick County.

            Anita
            --- Janet Crain <ljcrain2@...> wrote:

            > Kristen; Thank you!!!
            >
            > Evans John 1585-1586
            > Griffyn Rowland 1585-1586
            > Jonas [?] 1586
            > Jones Griffen 1587
            > Jones Jane 1587
            > Jones John 1587
            > Matthew John 1587
            > Morgan Captain Mathew 1586
            > Powell Edward 1586
            > Powell Edward 1587
            > Powell Wenefrid 1587
            > Vaughan Captain 1585-1586
            > Vaughan Captain John 1586
            > Williams David 1585-1586
            >
            > Here are my suggestions for suspected Welsh heritage
            > of the Roanoke
            > Colonists.

            BARNES & NOBLE ONLINE PURCHASE - NOTES AND DOCUMENTS OF FREE PERSONS OF COLOR: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=9v5Ox3pAni&isbn=1411603338&itm=1

            Purchase Site for Tape of Anita Wills on Book TV:
            http://www.c-spanstore.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_video_info&products_id=188914-1

            I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all
            else falls away.
            ~ Oriah Mountain Dreamer~

            CREE INDIAN PROPHECY:

            ONLY AFTER THE LAST TREE HAS BEEN CUT DOWN,
            ONLY AFTER THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN POISONED,
            ONLY AFTER THE LAST FISH HAS BEEN CAUGHT,
            ONLY THEN WILL YOU FIND THAT MONEY CANNOT BE EATEN.
          • mwwalsh
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 23, 2007
              --- In walesdna@yahoogroups.com, "ljcrain2" <ljcrain2@...> wrote:

              > It is not widely known, but some of John White's Colonists, later
              known as the Lost Colonists were reportedly Welsh. Many researchers
              believe that some of these people survived and formed alliances with
              the Indians as time went by. Groups were found 300 years later
              speaking Elizabethan English. Some Welsh speakers were also reported
              in various instances. These people bore many of the same or similar
              surnames as the members of the Lost Colony.
              > http://www.the-lost-colony.blogspot.com/
              >
              > Thank you so much.
              >
              > Janet Crain and Penny Ferguson
              > Searching for the Lost Colony Blog
              > Editors

              This is quite interesting. Could be red herring, but it might really
              be a connection. I have a Welsh (possibly mixed with Norman) descent
              pre-1170 and I personally don't have any lineage to the lost colony.

              However, I recently found my only 12 for 12 Y DNA match (other than my
              direct family) in Ysearch. His surname is Turner and he can trace his
              paternal lineage back to a Turner in Georgia (b. abt 1789) who fought
              in the War of 1812. In passing conversion, he told me he once
              received an email that his Y DNA test indicated he descended from the
              Roanoke/Croatan tribe. That was the only reason he had his DNA tested
              in the first place. A researcher (another Turner (female)) working on
              the lost colony asked him to.

              I'll contact him on this. Anyway, it does lead some credence that
              their were Welsh people in the lost colony.

              Michael W. Walsh
            • ljcrain2
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 25, 2007
                Michael; Thank you! I would appreciate that.

                Janet Crain