[wc] Re: Obama acknowledges nonbelievers as Americans

  • Frank Thomas Smith
    Message 1 of 117 , Feb 1, 2009
      --- In waldorf-critics@yahoogroups.com, "Diana Winters"
      <diana.winters@...> wrote:

      > Frank:
      >
      > >Hi, Diana,
      > >Leaving aside Dottie, Tarjei and Martin, I have a *serious* question
      > >for you. As an atheist, what do you think is the meaning of life?
      > >Best,
      > >Frank
      >
      > Frank, I was going to say I don't know the answer, 'cus I really
      don't, but
      > maybe I could quote the Grateful Dead instead.
      >
      > Diana

      Either way, it's a good answer, Diana, because it indicates that you
      are not really an atheist. An Atheist is someone who denies the
      existence of God ("God" being a divine or spiritual intelligence). But
      someone who doesn't know is an agnostic - which is truly a step in the
      right direction. Ah, you'll think, but all I said was that I don't
      know the *meaning* of life. But an atheist would have to say that
      there is no meaning - like Zooey seems to think. Because if there is
      no intelligent creative force behind it there can be no meaning. So
      you should reprint your calling card: "Diana Winters - agnostic".
      You'll feel better.
      Frank
      P.S. The Grateful Dead are also agnostic.

      > If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine
      > And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung,
      > Would you hear my voice come thru the music,
      > Would you hold it near as it were your own?
      >
      > It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken,
      > Perhaps they're better left unsung.
      > I don't know, don't really care
      > Let there be songs to fill the air.
      >
      > Ripple in still water,
      > When there is no pebble tossed,
      > Nor wind to blow.
      >
      > Reach out your hand if your cup be empty,
      > If your cup is full may it be again,
      > Let it be known there is a fountain,
      > That was not made by the hands of men.
      >
      > There is a road, no simple highway,
      > Between the dawn and the dark of night,
      > And if you go no one may follow,
      > That path is for your steps alone.
      >
      > Ripple in still water,
      > When there is no pebble tossed,
      > Nor wind to blow.
      >
      > But if you fall you fall alone,
      > If you should stand then who's to guide you?
      > If I knew the way I would take you home.
      >
      > La dee da da da, la da da da da, da da da, da da, da da da da da
      > La da da da, la da da, da da, la da da da, la da, da da.

    • zooey_stockholm
      Message 117 of 117 , Feb 13, 2009
        I don't know if you've seen these pictures, but the Steiner supporters
        of Sheffield brought some items to the workshop!

        http://flickr.com/photos/crff/page3/

        Not very informative, but kind of fun they did that!

        --- In waldorf-critics@yahoogroups.com, <awaldenpond@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have decent Steiner-Freemasonry information - links,
        papers, etc. I'm interested in that connection/period. - thanks.
        > Now this would have been an interesting day - I see Helmut Zander
        was there ( I just watched him speaking on YouTube)
        > Rudolf Steiner and Freemasonry
        > Wednesday, 1st October, 2008 - 23:33
        > The University of Sheffield's Centre for Research into Freemasonry
        and Fraternalism is presenting the following:

        > Workshop on The Temple Legend November 1 2008
        >
        > The Centre will host an academic workshop on the subject of The
        Temple Legend: Links between Freemasonry, Theosophy and Anthroposophy

        > 10.30 am Registration and Refreshments
        >
        > 10.50 am Opening: Dr Andreas Önnerfors, Director of the CRFF
        >
        > 11.00 am Dr Isaac Lubelsky, Tel Aviv University, "Theosophy and
        Anthroposophy in 1913: Doctrinal Differences and Resemblance"

        > 11.40 am Dr Andreas Önnerfors, University of Sheffield, "Steiner's
        Temple Legend seen from the Background of Research into Freemasonry"

        > 12.20 pm Lunch break - numerous local facilities available, please
        return promptly

        > 13.30 pm Nick Thomas, Freelancer, "The position of Freemasonry in
        the Formation of Steiner's Anthroposophical Ideas"

        > 14.15 pm Dr Helmut Zander, Humboldt University Berlin,
        "Anthroposophical Transformation of Freemasonry"

        > For more information and to register, please contact the workshop
        organizer at: a.onnerfors [AT] sheffield.ac.uk or by telephoning 0114
        222 9893. Please register your interest no later than October 24th