Re: State funding, UK - TES thread

  • steveh
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 23, 2011
      --- In waldorf-critics@yahoogroups.com, "winters_diana" <diana.winters@...> wrote:

      > And Sune Nordwall is busy here in this thread about the battle for state funding for steiner schools in the UK. Here he is trying to claim that Waldorf schools teach science well:
      >
      > http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6109281
      >
      > He would appear to have bitten off more than he can chew, judging from the knowledgeableness of the other people in the thread. Throwing questionable statistics around doesn't always work, does it, Sune?

      Here is my position, Diana. Waldorf Schools should be purely private, without any hint of aggrandizement toward gaining public funds for their further development. This is where the whole movement went wrong. Seeking tax-exempt status and other perks for their continuation
      has proven to be a wrong move. This is what has caused the science of the spirit to be made the property of public materialism. People apparently saw that Waldorf schools should get the same rewards that other private schools get, and so they went forth.

      They failed to consider that the science of the spirit meets no laws of tax exemption. If you believe in it then go ahead, and expect to make the sacrifice; even without pay.

      Steve
    • petekaraiskos
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 23, 2011
        --- In waldorf-critics@yahoogroups.com, "winters_diana" <diana.winters@...> wrote:

        > And Sune Nordwall is busy here in this thread about the battle for state funding for steiner schools in the UK. Here he is trying to claim that Waldorf schools teach science well:
        >
        > http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6109281
        >
        > He would appear to have bitten off more than he can chew, judging from the knowledgeableness of the other people in the thread. Throwing questionable statistics around doesn't always work, does it, Sune?

        LMAO! Loved this line: "Surely teaching Pastafarianism in schools is a much better idea!"

        PK
        Enough Already!!!
        http://petekaraiskos.blogspot.com/2011/03/letters-to-minors-counsel-7.html
      • alicia h.
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 24, 2011
          Talking about sacrifice: It's the children who are sacrificed to this
          spiritual 'science' -- regardless of who's paying.

          All children have a right to learn real science, despite their parents
          illusions and delusions.
          On 24 Aug 2011 04:11, "steveh" <sardisian01@...> wrote:
          > --- In waldorf-critics@yahoogroups.com, "winters_diana" <diana.winters@...>
          wrote:

          >> And Sune Nordwall is busy here in this thread about the battle for state
          funding for steiner schools in the UK. Here he is trying to claim that
          Waldorf schools teach science well:

          >> http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6109281
          >>
          >> He would appear to have bitten off more than he can chew, judging from
          the knowledgeableness of the other people in the thread. Throwing
          questionable statistics around doesn't always work, does it, Sune?

          > Here is my position, Diana. Waldorf Schools should be purely private,
          without any hint of aggrandizement toward gaining public funds for their
          further development. This is where the whole movement went wrong. Seeking
          tax-exempt status and other perks for their continuation
          > has proven to be a wrong move. This is what has caused the science of the
          spirit to be made the property of public materialism. People apparently saw
          that Waldorf schools should get the same rewards that other private schools
          get, and so they went forth.

          > They failed to consider that the science of the spirit meets no laws of
          tax exemption. If you believe in it then go ahead, and expect to make the
          sacrifice; even without pay.

          > Steve

        • petekaraiskos
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 24, 2011
            Here's another similar thread:

            http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=387461

            PK
            Enough Already!!!
            http://petekaraiskos.blogspot.com/2011/03/normal-0-attorney-at-law-june-adler.html

            --- In waldorf-critics@yahoogroups.com, "alicia h." <zzzooey@...> wrote:

            > Talking about sacrifice: It's the children who are sacrificed to this
            > spiritual 'science' -- regardless of who's paying.
            >
            > All children have a right to learn real science, despite their parents
            > illusions and delusions.
            > On 24 Aug 2011 04:11, "steveh" <sardisian01@...> wrote:
            > > --- In waldorf-critics@yahoogroups.com, "winters_diana" <diana.winters@>
            > wrote:
            > >>
            > >> And Sune Nordwall is busy here in this thread about the battle for state
            > funding for steiner schools in the UK. Here he is trying to claim that
            > Waldorf schools teach science well:
            > >>
            > >> http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6109281
            > >>
            > >> He would appear to have bitten off more than he can chew, judging from
            > the knowledgeableness of the other people in the thread. Throwing
            > questionable statistics around doesn't always work, does it, Sune?
            > >

            > > Here is my position, Diana. Waldorf Schools should be purely private,
            > without any hint of aggrandizement toward gaining public funds for their
            > further development. This is where the whole movement went wrong. Seeking
            > tax-exempt status and other perks for their continuation
            > > has proven to be a wrong move. This is what has caused the science of the
            > spirit to be made the property of public materialism. People apparently saw
            > that Waldorf schools should get the same rewards that other private schools
            > get, and so they went forth.
            > >
            > > They failed to consider that the science of the spirit meets no laws of
            > tax exemption. If you believe in it then go ahead, and expect to make the
            > sacrifice; even without pay.
            > >
            > > Steve

          • winters_diana
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 24, 2011
              This I agree with and truly appreciate. This is anthroposophy being honest.

              >Here is my position, Diana. Waldorf Schools should be purely private, without any hint of aggrandizement toward gaining public funds for their further development. This is where the whole movement went wrong. Seeking tax-exempt status and other perks for their continuation
              > has proven to be a wrong move. This is what has caused the science of the spirit to be made the property of public materialism. People apparently saw that Waldorf schools should get the same rewards that other private schools get, and so they went forth.
              >
              > They failed to consider that the science of the spirit meets no laws of tax exemption. If you believe in it then go ahead, and expect to make the sacrifice; even without pay.
              >
              > Steve

            • Frank Thomas Smith
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 25, 2011
                --- In waldorf-critics@yahoogroups.com, "winters_diana" <diana.winters@...> wrote to Steve Hale:_

                > This I agree with and truly appreciate. This is anthroposophy being honest.

                One lunatic fringe (Waldorf Critics) meets another lunatic fringe (Steve Hale).

                Frank
                ________________

                > >Here is my position, Diana. Waldorf Schools should be purely private, without any hint of aggrandizement toward gaining public funds for their further development. This is where the whole movement went wrong. Seeking tax-exempt status and other perks for their continuation
                > > has proven to be a wrong move. This is what has caused the science of the spirit to be made the property of public materialism. People apparently saw that Waldorf schools should get the same rewards that other private schools get, and so they went forth.
                > >
                > > They failed to consider that the science of the spirit meets no laws of tax exemption. If you believe in it then go ahead, and expect to make the sacrifice; even without pay.
                > >
                > > Steve

              • winters_diana
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 25, 2011
                  Steve is indeed a lunatic, but he is right. He is principled: there's no free lunch. Why is a noble spiritual movement sullying itself so? Need to figure out that if you take the public money, there's strings attached. Get it?

                  Everyone get Frank's point here? To your average, "reasonable" anthroposophist like Frank Smith, that's "lunatic." Only lunatic anthroposophists, apparently, get that asking for public money was a massive mistake for the Steiner/Waldorf world. That is an interesting phenomenon.

                  --- In waldorf-critics@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Thomas Smith" <fts.trasla@...> wrote:

                  > --- In waldorf-critics@yahoogroups.com, "winters_diana" <diana.winters@> wrote to Steve Hale:_
                  > >

                  > > This I agree with and truly appreciate. This is anthroposophy being honest.
                  >
                  > One lunatic fringe (Waldorf Critics) meets another lunatic fringe (Steve Hale).
                  >
                  > Frank
                  > ________________
                  >

                  > > >Here is my position, Diana. Waldorf Schools should be purely private, without any hint of aggrandizement toward gaining public funds for their further development. This is where the whole movement went wrong. Seeking tax-exempt status and other perks for their continuation
                  > > > has proven to be a wrong move. This is what has caused the science of the spirit to be made the property of public materialism. People apparently saw that Waldorf schools should get the same rewards that other private schools get, and so they went forth.
                  > > >
                  > > > They failed to consider that the science of the spirit meets no laws of tax exemption. If you believe in it then go ahead, and expect to make the sacrifice; even without pay.
                  > > >
                  > > > Steve

                • steveh
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 25, 2011
                    --- In waldorf-critics@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Thomas Smith" <fts.trasla@...> wrote:

                    > --- In waldorf-critics@yahoogroups.com, "winters_diana" <diana.winters@> wrote to Steve Hale:_
                    > >

                    > > This I agree with and truly appreciate. This is anthroposophy being honest.
                    >
                    > One lunatic fringe (Waldorf Critics) meets another lunatic fringe (Steve Hale).
                    >
                    > Frank

                    Nice job, Frank. Does that place you comfortably in the middle in order to conveniently ignore every challenge to your perceived beliefs?

                    Steve
                  • steveh
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 25, 2011
                      --- In waldorf-critics@yahoogroups.com, "winters_diana" <diana.winters@...> wrote:

                      > Steve is indeed a lunatic, but he is right. He is principled: there's no free lunch. Why is a noble spiritual movement sullying itself so? Need to figure out that if you take the public money, there's strings attached. Get it?
                      >
                      > Everyone get Frank's point here? To your average, "reasonable" anthroposophist like Frank Smith, that's "lunatic." Only lunatic anthroposophists, apparently, get that asking for public money was a massive mistake for the Steiner/Waldorf world. That is an interesting phenomenon.

                      Steve, the principled lunatic :)