Re: Help

  • Roger Rawlings
    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 17, 2011
      Hello, Neil.

      There are several participants here who will, I'm sure, have good advice for you. I have never been in your position; I was a student at a Waldorf school for 11 years, but I never sent a child to such a school. Thus, I do not have firsthand knowledge of parenting issues in and around Waldorf schools. I do have some knowledge, however, based on research. Thus, I have a Web site, Waldorf Watch, which may be of some use to you. [ https://sites.google.com/site/waldorfwatch/ ]

      Rudolf Steiner told Waldorf teachers that they should supplant parents as the most important adults in their students' lives. He taught that Waldorf teachers should be unquestioned authorities and that they serve a priestly office. He said that Waldorf teachers need to undo the damage caused by parents, and he said that Waldorf teachers should treat parents as outsiders, telling them as little as possible about what actually happens in Waldorf schools.

      You will find many statements along these lines in "Faculty Meetings" and other pages at Waldorf Watch, including "Secrets". [ https://sites.google.com/site/waldorfwatch/faculty-meetings https://sites.google.com/site/waldorfwatch/secrets ]

      Other pages at the site that might prove helpful include "Advice for Parents", "Clues", and "Six Facts You Need to Know About Waldorf Education".

      I will be happy to attempt to answer any specific questions you may want to ask, although again I will defer to other participants here who have had children in Waldorf schools. Some of them have kindly allowed me to post their recollections at Waldorf Watch. [See, e.g., "Our Experience", "Coming Undone", "Moms", "Pops", etc. https://sites.google.com/site/waldorfwatch/our-experience
      https://sites.google.com/site/waldorfwatch/coming-undone
      https://sites.google.com/site/waldorfwatch/moms
      https://sites.google.com/site/waldorfwatch/pops ]

      I feel sure that Dan, Debra, Diana, Margaret, Pete, and other participants here will have much good advice for you.

      - Roger Rawlings
    • petekaraiskos
      Message 40 of 40 , Aug 21, 2011
        No worries Roger,

        I've been burning the midnight oil lately and haven't had much free time to post but I intend to post on this topic.

        Your experience describes my son's experience (so far after Highland Hall) perfectly (to me). It could have been my son writing it.

        PK
        Enough Already!!!
        http://petekaraiskos.blogspot.com/2011_01_01_archive.html