Re: Fwd: Sick, sick individual

  • petekaraiskos
    Message 1 of 4 , May 20, 2011
      Well, I have to say, The school Jenn describes DOES have one thing going for it - and that's VERY small class sizes. This means three positive things:

      1) There's more need to keep parents happy. They need the tuition and it isn't as if they have a huge waiting list. That's a good reason to overlook the quirky parent who lets her kid read Harry Potter and takes them to science camp. As long as Jenn doesn't ask too many questions (or is satisfied with their answers) they will keep her. She may indeed be very happy with the education her children receive there.

      2) The school probably isn't big enough to attract too many "seasoned" Waldorf teachers. It's getting fresh trainees probably... better than the alternative, perhaps. Hopefully, the "seasoned" Jewish teacher Jenn described has been at the same school for the whole 16 years and is one of the rare Waldorf teachers who is doing something right.

      3) The "founder" who Jenn speaks so highly of may indeed be a progressive administrator and may be able to fly under AWSNA's radar. Obviously, you could do a lot worse (see my blog about the current and past administrators at Highland Hall for proof of this) than to bring some new ideas into Waldorf. AWSNA probably doesn't care to bother interfering with a school that small (as long as they have Eurythmy classes).

      Jenn's school may, indeed, be progressive. I still have deep concerns about the inherent philosophy and problematic curriculum that is in every Waldorf school. I don't believe Jenn knows enough about what is being taught directly to the children to address this with us, unfortunately.

      I'd love for Jenn's to be a real school. The thought of a progressive Waldorf school is titillating. It's what I imagined for the one I started.

      PK
      Enough Already!!!
      http://petekaraiskos.blogspot.com/2010/10/highland-hall-board-members-clueless.html