Steiner's statements on race

  • Peter Staudenmaier
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2011
      Here are the specific dates for the passages Pete provided:

      > "It certainly cannot be denied that Jewry today still behaves as a
      > closed totality, and as such it has frequently intervened in the
      > development of our current state of affairs in a way that is anything
      > but favorable to European ideas of culture. But Jewry itself has long
      > since outlived its time; it has no more justification within the modern
      > life of peoples, and the fact that it continues to exist is a mistake
      > of world history whose consequences are unavoidable. We do not mean the
      > forms of the Jewish religion alone, but above all the spirit of Jewry,
      > the Jewish way of thinking." (Steiner, Gesammelte Aufsätze zur
      > Literatur p. 152)

      That is from an article Steiner wrote in 1888 for a German nationalist journal he edited, the Vienna-based Deutsche Wochenschrift. The original text is Rudolf Steiner, "Robert Hamerling: Homunkulus" Deutsche Wochenschrift, 1888, vol. VI nos. 16 and 17, reprinted in Steiner, Gesammelte Aufsätze zur Literatur 1884-1902 (Dornach 1971), 145-55. Further context on the article can be found here:

      > "Thus the greatest tragedy of this 20th century [World War I] has come
      > from what the Jews are also striving for. And one can say that since
      > everything the Jews have done can now be done consciously by all
      > people, the best thing that the Jews could do would be to disappear
      > into the rest of humankind, to blend in with the rest of humankind, so
      > that Jewry as a people would simply cease to exist. That is what would
      > be ideal. This ideal is still opposed, even today, by many Jewish
      > habits - and above all by the hatred of other people. That is what must
      > be overcome." (Steiner, Die Geschichte der Menschheit und die
      > Weltanschauungen der Kulturvölker p. 189)

      That is from Steiner's May 1924 lecture on "The Essence of Jewry," which was excised from the English translation of the book it appears in. Further context on that lecture can be found here:

      > "Today all aspects of the Jews are dominated by racial qualities. Above
      > all they marry among themselves. They see the racial qualities, not the
      > spiritual. And this is what must be said in reply to the question: has
      > the Jewish people fulfilled its mission within the evolution of human
      > knowledge? It has fulfilled it; for in earlier times one single people
      > was needed to bring about a certain monotheism. But today spiritual
      > insight itself is necessary. Therefore this mission has been fulfilled.
      > And therefore this Jewish mission as such, as a Jewish mission, is no
      > longer necessary in evolution; instead the only proper thing would be
      > for the Jews to blend in with the other peoples and disappear into the
      > other peoples." (Steiner, Die Geschichte der Menschheit und die
      > Weltanschauungen der Kulturvölker p. 190)

      That is also from the 1924 lecture on "The Essence of Jewry".

      > "Actual antisemitism is not the cause of this Jewish hypersensitivity,
      > but rather the false image of the anti-Jewish movement invented by
      > overwrought imaginations. Anyone who has dealt with Jews knows how deep
      > runs the tendency to create such an image, even among the best members
      > of their nation. Mistrust toward non-Jews has completely taken over
      > their souls. [. . .] I consider the antisemites to be harmless people.
      > The best of them are like children. They want something to blame for
      > their woes. [. . .] Much worse than the antisemites are the heartless
      > leaders of the Jews who are tired of Europe, Herzl and Nordau. They
      > exaggerate an unpleasant childishness into a world-historical trend;
      > they pretend that a harmless squabble is a terrible roar of cannons.
      > They are seducers and tempters of their people." (Steiner, Gesammelte
      > Aufsätze zur Kultur- und Zeitgeschichte pp. 198-200 [1897])

      That is from Steiner's 1897 essay on the Basel Zionist Congress, published in another journal he edited, this one based in Berlin. The original text is Steiner, "Die Sehnsucht der Juden nach Palästina" Magazin für Litteratur, 1897, vol. 66 no. 38, reprinted in Steiner, Gesammelte Aufsätze zur Kultur- und Zeitgeschichte 1887-1901 (Dornach 1966), 196-201.

      > "...the Jahve forces from the moon sphere meet and cooperate with the
      > Mars spirits and thus a special kind of modification arises, namely,
      > the Semitic race. Here is the occult explanation for the origin of the
      > Semites. The Semitic people are an example of a modification of
      > collective humanity. Jahve or Jehovah shuts himself off from the other
      > Elohim and invests this people with a special character by cooperating
      > with the Mars spirits, in order to bring about a special modification
      > of his people. You will now understand the peculiar character of the
      > Semitic people and its mission."(Steiner, The Mission of Folk Souls p.
      > 105)

      That is from Steiner's book The Mission of the Individual Folk Souls in Relation to Teutonic Mythology, most recently re-published by the Rudolf Steiner Press in 2005. The book is Steiner's own revised version of a series of lectures he gave in Oslo in June 1910.

      > "The relation between soul-development and race-development is
      > preserved to us in a wonderful myth. Let us imagine race following
      > race, civilization following civilization. The soul going through its
      > earth mission in the right way is incarnated in a certain race; it
      > strives upward in this race, and acquires the capacities of this race
      > in order next time to be incarnated in a higher one. Only the souls
      > which sink in the race and do not work out of the physical materiality,
      > are held back in the race by their own weight, as one might say. They
      > appear a second time in the same race and eventually a third time in
      > bodies in similarly formed races. Such souls hold back the bodies of
      > the race. This has been wonderfully described in a legend. We know,
      > indeed, that man progresses further in the fulfillment of the mission
      > of the earth by following the great Leaders of humanity who point out
      > the goals to be attained; if he rejects them, if he does not follow
      > them, he must remain behind with his race, for he cannot then get
      > beyond it. Let us think of a personality who has the good fortune to
      > meet a great Leader of humanity, let us suppose such a personality
      > confronting Christ Jesus himself, for example; he sees how all his
      > deeds are evidence for leading humanity forward, but he will have
      > nothing to do with this progress, he rejects the Leader of humanity.
      > Such a personality, such a soul would be condemned to remain in the
      > race. If we follow this thought to its conclusion such a soul would
      > have to appear again and again in the same race, and we have the legend
      > of Ahasuerus who had to appear in the same race again and again because
      > he rejected Christ Jesus. Great truths concerning the evolution of
      > humanity are placed before us in such a legend as this." (Rudolf
      > Steiner, The Apocalypse of St. John, pp. 80-81)

      That is from Steiner's book The Apocalypse of St. John, available in several anthroposophist editions, including a 1993 edition from the Anthroposophic Press; the original German edition was published in Berlin in 1911. It is based on a series of lectures Steiner gave in Nuremberg in 1908.

      > "Each person proceeds through race after race. Those that are young
      > souls incarnate in the races that have remained behind on earlier
      > racial levels. In this way, the races and souls that live around us
      > take on a physical and spiritual structure. Everything makes sense,
      > everything becomes clear and explicable. We are moving closer and
      > closer to the solution of this puzzle and we can realize that in the
      > future we will have other epochs to go through, we will have other
      > paths to follow than the ones made by race. We must be clear about the
      > difference between soul development and racial development. Our own
      > souls once lived within the Atlantean race, and they then developed
      > themselves upward to a higher race. That gives us an image of the
      > evolution of humankind up until our time. In this way we can comprehend
      > how to justify the principle, the core principle of universal
      > brotherhood without regard to race, color, status, and so forth. I will
      > explain this thought in particular later. Today I simply wanted to show
      > how the same essence appears in different forms, and in fact in a much
      > more correct sense than natural science would have us believe. Our
      > souls march from one level to the next, which is to say from one race
      > to the next, and we come to know the meaning of humanity when we
      > examine these races." (Steiner, Die Welträtsel und die Anthroposophie
      > pp. 153-4)

      That is from one of Steiner's fundamental statements on race, which is not available in English. It is a public lecture in Berlin from 1905 titled "Basic Concepts of Theosophy: The Races of Humankind" and it is published as chapter six of Steiner, Die Welträtsel und die Anthroposophie (Dornach 1985).

      > "For peoples and races are but steps leading to pure humanity. A race
      > or a nation stands so much the higher, the more perfectly its members
      > express the pure, ideal human type, the further they have worked their
      > way from the physical and perishable to the supersensible and
      > imperishable. The evolution of man through the incarnations in ever
      > higher national and racial forms is thus a process of liberation. Man
      > must finally appear in harmonious perfection." (Steiner, Knowledge of
      > Higher Worlds p. 207)

      That is from one of Steiner's core books, Knowledge of Higher Worlds, available in a variety of anthroposophist editions, originally published in German in 1905.

      > "People who listen to the great leaders of humankind, and preserve
      > their soul with its eternal essence, reincarnate in an advanced race;
      > in the same way he who ignores the great teacher, who rejects the great
      > leader of humankind, will always reincarnate in the same race, because
      > he was only able to develop the one form. This is the deeper meaning of
      > Ahasver, who must always reappear in the same form because he rejected
      > the hand of the greatest leader, Christ. Thus each person has the
      > opportunity to become caught up in the essence of one incarnation, to
      > push away the leader of humankind, or instead to undergo the
      > transformation into higher races, toward ever higher perfection. Races
      > would never become decadent, never decline, if there weren't souls that
      > are unable to move up and unwilling to move up to a higher racial form.
      > Look at the races that have survived from earlier eras: they only exist
      > because some souls could not climb higher." (Steiner, Das Hereinwirken
      > geistiger Wesenheiten in den Menschen p. 174)

      That is from a 1908 lecture in Berlin, published in Steiner, Das Hereinwirken geistiger Wesenheiten in den Menschen (Dornach 2001).

      > "The ancestors of the Atlanteans lived in a region which has
      > disappeared, the main part of which lay south of contemporary Asia. In
      > theosophical writings they are called the Lemurians. After they had
      > passed through various stages of development the greatest part of them
      > declined. These became stunted men, whose descendants still inhabit
      > certain parts of the earth today as so-called savage tribes. Only a
      > small part of Lemurian humanity was capable of further development.
      > From this part the Atlanteans were formed. Later, something similar
      > again took place. The greatest part of the Atlantean population
      > declined, and from a small portion are descended the so-called Aryans
      > who comprise present-day civilized humanity. According to the
      > nomenclature of the science of the spirit, the Lemurians, Atlanteans
      > and Aryans are root races of mankind." (Steiner, Cosmic Memory pp.
      > 45-46)

      That is from another of Steiner's core texts, Cosmic Memory, available from the Anthroposophic Press, originally published in German in 1909.

      > "But all such questions are illuminated as soon as we recognize the
      > nature of the spiritual essence which lies at the back of our blood.
      > Who can deny that this question is closely linked to that of race,
      > which at the present time is once more coming markedly to the front?
      > Yet this question of race is one that we can never understand until we
      > understand the mysteries of the blood and of the results accruing from
      > the mingling of the blood of different races. And finally, there is yet
      > one other question, the importance of which is becoming more and more
      > acute as we endeavor to extricate ourselves from the hitherto aimless
      > methods of dealing with it, and seek to approach it in its more
      > comprehensive bearings. This problem is that of colonisation, which
      > crops up wherever civilised races come into contact with the
      > uncivilised: namely - To what extent are uncivilised peoples capable of
      > becoming civilised? How can a Negro or an utterly barbaric savage
      > become civilised? And in what way ought we to deal with them? And here
      > we have to consider not only the feelings due to a vague morality, but
      > we are also confronted by great, serious, and vital problems of
      > existence itself. Those who are not aware of the conditions governing a
      > people - whether it be on the up- or down-grade of its evolution, and
      > whether the one or the other is a matter conditioned by its blood -
      > such people as these will, indeed, be unlikely to hit on the right mode
      > of introducing civilisation to an alien race. These are all matters
      > which arise as soon as the Blood Question is touched upon." (Steiner,
      > The Occult Significance of Blood p. 13)

      That is from Steiner's pamphlet The Occult Significance of Blood, available in several English translations, some of them bowdlerized. The text was originally published in German in 1907, in the midst of the genocidal German campaign against the native peoples of their colony in South-West Africa. The German edition, published by Steiner’s own theosophical publishing house, went through five printings by 1922, for a total of fifteen thousand copies.

      > "The use of the French language quite certainly corrupts the soul. The
      > soul acquires nothing more than the possibility of clichés. Those who
      > enthusiastically speak French transfer that to other languages. The
      > French are also ruining what maintains their dead language, namely,
      > their blood. The French are committing the terrible brutality of moving
      > black people to Europe, but it works, in an even worse way, back on
      > France. It has an enormous effect on the blood and the race and
      > contributes considerably toward French decadence. The French as a race
      > are reverting." (FACULTY MEETINGS WITH RUDOLF STEINER, pp. 558-559.)

      That is from Steiner's 1923 meetings with the original Waldorf school teachers.

      > "White humankind is still on the path of absorbing the spirit deeper
      > and deeper into its own essence. Yellow humankind is on the path of
      > conserving the era when the spirit will be kept away from the body,
      > when the spirit will only be sought outside of the human-physical
      > organization. But the result will have to be that the transition from
      > the fifth cultural epoch to the sixth cultural epoch cannot happen in
      > any other way than as a violent battle of white humankind against
      > colored humankind in myriad areas. And that which precedes these
      > battles between white and colored humankind will occupy world history
      > until the completion of the great battles between white and colored
      > humankind. Future events are frequently reflected in prior events. You
      > see, we stand before something colossal that - when we understand it
      > through spiritual science - we will in the future be able to recognize
      > as a necessary occurrence." (Rudolf Steiner, Die geistigen Hintergründe
      > des Ersten Weltkrieges. Dornach, 1974 (GA 174b) p. 3)

      That is from Steiner's 1915 lecture in Stuttgart on race, published in German in Dornach in 1944. The lecture has been translated into English, but not published or made publicly available; it exists in typescript form, marked "For Members of the Anthroposophical Society" and has apparently been circulating among anthroposophists for some time. The typescript bears the title "The Christ-Impulse as Bearer of the Union of the Spiritual and the Bodily". Further context can be found here:

      Greetings to all,

      Peter S.
    • petekaraiskos
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2011
        Thank you immensely Peter... this gives a lot of depth to Steiner's comments and it makes it clear that, despite his brief philo-Semitic period, he finished his public career holding pretty the same racist views he held early on...

        PK