[wadokarate] Re: wadokarate digest

  • St-Arneault, Roger
    Message 1 of 100 , Nov 12, 1999
      Hello,

      I was in the WKC Championship last weekend in British Columbia. It was a
      very big and nice tournament. But it's not the reason why i write you. I'm a
      6 degree black belt in the Shintani Wado-Kai Karate Federation. I practice
      karate close 28 years now. In the tournament in British Columbia, the
      president of Wado-Kai Canada , Dr Leslie Bowers, Shian Greg Reid Hachidan
      told me that the krate will be in the olympic 2004 in Greece. They told me
      also, that it will be karate in the Olympic and no style will command this
      championship. Everybody could do the kata of his choice (that's mean A guy
      of Wado could do a kata of Goju). The problem is for me the WKF (who run the
      karate in the Olympic), i think that they will chose JKF Wado-Kai katas for
      All Wado karateka. I practice karate under Masaru Shintani sensei who was a
      direct student of Otsuka sensei. And he teached me the katas like he learn
      it with Otsuka Sensei, that's mean the old way. I know that the JKF Wado-Kai
      change all the katas a lot. I'd like to know if someone know, how i could
      have a video tape of the JKF Wado-Kai katas. I try to communicate with them
      but you know, politic again (they don't answer me).

      Thank you
      In harmony.
      Roger St-Arneault (Rokudan)6e Dan
      Rouyn-Noranda Wado-Kai
      (819) 764-3398
      rstarneault@...
      http://www.lino.com/~karate

      Hi all
      Looks like this idea is good if it brings together lots of karateka who
      enjoy Wado Ryu.I hope it goes from strength to strength.Trev Seddon

      ------------------------------ message 016 ------------------------------
      http://www.eGroups.com/list/wadokarate/?start=16

      From: "St-Arneault, Roger" <rstarneault@...>
      Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 08:45:52 -0500
      Subject: [wadokarate] TR: Welcome to a New Wado Discussion Forum

      Hello,
      my name is Roger St-Arneault. I think that you have a very nice idea =
      with
      this forum. So i'm interest to be in the dicussion of Wado. Let me know =
      all
      the information about it.
      =20
      Sorry about my english, i'm french. I speak english but sometimes my
      sentences are'nt correct, but for this forum i won't think it will be a
      problem.
      =20
      In harmony
      =20

      Roger St-Arneault 6e Dan=20
      Rouyn-Noranda Wado-Kai=20
      (819) 764-3398=20
      rstarneault@...=20
      http://www.lino.com/~karate <http://www.lino.com/~karate> =20

      =20
      Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 21:25:15 -0800
      From: JACKSON RYAN <ryanj1@...>
      Subject: [wadokarate] Wado Karate

      I'm a new list member. I've been taking Wado karate for about 7 years
      now. I really hope this list takes off. I've been on other lists that
      focused on other stuff I wasn't as interested in so this list really
      excites me. To John Dodd, I don't know whether to call you Sensei or
      Sempai so please pardon me. I noticed your post about using Bassai in a
      tournament. Congratulations on the 2nd place. I've seen Sensei Greer
      compete MANY times and have never been disappointed in what I've seen.
      His control and power are very impressive to me. I love watching his
      front kicks, not to mention he ties his belt really cool lol. If you had
      to lose the 1st to anyone that's someone to lose to. I have never been
      very sucessful at the tournament level though I've never really done
      much of it. My favorite kata would have to be Seishan. The tension at
      the beginning is awesome. I'm not great at it, but I love watching a
      properly done form of it. As to Mr. Taylor, I was wondering, how much
      does your dojo practice the 9 alternate katas and how much are they a
      part of your dan syllabus. I know that we practice them very often at my
      dojo and they are a large part of the dan grading syllabus. For my next
      belt I will have to perform Chinto (obviously one of the 9 main katas)
      and Jitte. I was sort of wondering for everybody what the Dan
      qualifications were at your Dojo and also what the age limit on a Dan
      grade would be. This should provide those looking for one a number of
      threads to reply to.

      Ryan Jackson - 14 year old Shodan
      Danner Karate Center Nashville,
      TN

      ------------------------------ message 018 ------------------------------
      http://www.eGroups.com/list/wadokarate/?start=18

      Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 05:19:33 -0800
      From: wado_dave@...
      Subject: [wadokarate] Re: Wado Karate

      jackson ryan <ryanj-@...> wrote:

      > snip..... As to Mr. Taylor, I was wondering, how much
      > does your dojo practice the 9 alternate katas and how much are they a
      > part of your dan syllabus.

      Thanks for joining and writing Ryan. As to your first question, our
      schools practice all of the original wado kata, excluding Suparinpei
      (which we are in the process of trying to learn). They are all part
      of our dan syllabus, with kyu ranks learning First Basic, Pinans 1-5,
      Kusanku, Jion, Jutte, and Naihanchi, and dans learning Chinto, Bassai,
      Seisan, Neseishi, Rohai, and Wanshu.

      > snip......I was sort of wondering for everybody what the Dan
      > qualifications were at your Dojo and also what the age limit on a Dan
      > grade would be.
      > Ryan Jackson - 14 year old Shodan
      > Danner Karate Center Nashville,
      > TN

      You can examine our belt requirements at http://www.falconx.com/conradj
      oneskarate/beltreqs.htm. Also,
      you can view an overview of our 1998 shodan exam and written exam at:
      http://www.falconx.com/conradjoneskarate/1998exam.htm

      As far as age is concerned, our starting age is 10, but we have never
      tested anyone at that young of an age. One of our instructors tested
      with his son a few years back, and he was close to ten, but was
      unusually mature and bright, and was able to do very well. We do not
      have junior black belts, so when our youth test for black belt, they
      must meet the same requirements that the adults do. Hope this answers
      your questions.

      p.s. Say Hello to Mrs. Judith Gregory. She is either a green or brown
      belt at your school, and I work with her at American General, and have
      spoke with her often about our karate interest.
      Dave Taylor
      Conrad Jones Karate Schools
      Franklin & Brentwood, TN USA

      ------------------------------ message 019 ------------------------------
      http://www.eGroups.com/list/wadokarate/?start=19

      From: "John Dodd" <John.Dodd@...>
      Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:55:46 -0600
      Subject: [wadokarate] re: kata syllabus, dan requirements

      >I was wondering, how much
      >does your dojo practice the 9 alternate katas and how much are they a
      >part of your dan syllabus

      At David Deaton Karate Studio (part of the US Eastern Wado Ryu Karate-do
      Federation), we practice First Basic Kata, the five Pinan Kata, Kushanku,
      Naihanchi, and Chinto with tremendous regularity. Although we practice
      Seisan more frequently than some of the other remaining kata (Bassai, Jion,
      Jitte, Wanshu, Neseishi, Rohai, etc.) these are all practiced with somewhat
      less frequency. Out of personal preference, I I work heavily on Bassai,
      Wanshu, Chinto, and Naihanchi.

      >I was sort of wondering for everybody what the Dan
      >qualifications were at your Dojo and also what the age limit on a Dan
      >grade would be.

      I will quote from a recent letter I received from Mr. Deaton, which came
      along with the results from one of my quarterly black belt reviews:

      "Please find listed below the requirements for degrees of black belt:

      1) A black belt must be in good standing with their school and instructors
      2) A black belt must be actively participating in classroom instruction
      (minimum 6 times per month). Passing a monthly physical test (note:
      although the criteria for the P.T. vary according to age, gender, and rank,
      the basics include a 1-mile run in under 10 minutes, 60 push ups in 90
      seconds, 60 situps in 90 seconds). Able to perform all basic requirements
      (kata, kiso, kihon, etc.)
      3) A black belt must be participating in school functions and competitions.
      4) a black belt must have succesfully passed a minimum of six quarterly
      reviews to be considered for the next degree.
      5) A black belt must meet the following requirements for age and time of
      practice:

      Adult
      1st Degree - 16 years old and 3 years practice (five Pinans, Kushanku,
      Naihanchi)
      2nd Degree - 18 years old and 5 years practice (five Pinans, Kushanku,
      Naihanchi, Chinto)
      3rd Degree - 21 years old and 7 years practice (five Pinans, Kushanku,
      Naihanchi, Chinto, Seisan)
      4th Degree - 25 years old and 10 years practice (five Pinans, Kushanku,
      Naihanchi, Chinto, Seisan, Niseishi)
      5th Degree - 32 years old and 15 years practice (five Pinans, Kushanku,
      Naihanchi, Chinto, Seisan, Niseishi, Bassai)
      6th Degree - 36 years old and 20 years practice (five Pinans, Kushanku,
      Naihanchi, Chinto, Seisan, Niseishi, Bassai; candidate's choice of Wanshu,
      Jion, Jitte, Roahi)
      7th Degree - 42 years old and 25 years practice (all kata)
      8th Degree - 50 years old and 30 years practice (all kata)

      Juniors
      1st Degree - 10 years old, 3 years practice
      2nd Degree - 13 years old, 5 years practice
      (At 16 years, Adult Certification For 3rd Degree & up follow the adult
      schedule)"

      ------------------------------ message 020 ------------------------------
      http://www.eGroups.com/list/wadokarate/?start=20

      Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 07:45:42 -0800
      From: wado_dave@...
      Subject: [wadokarate] Re: dan requirements-running

      "john dodd" <john.dod-@...> wrote:
      Passing a monthly physical test (note:
      > although the criteria for the P.T. vary according to age, gender, and
      rank,
      > the basics include a 1-mile run in under 10 minutes, 60 push ups in 90
      > seconds, 60 situps in 90 seconds).

      We have a similar 'PT' portion to our dan tests, with push/sit ups &
      running.
      Our age criteria is:
      under 15 9 minute mile
      16 - 49 8 minute mile
      50 & over 9 minute mile

      I will share my story when it came to the running portion of our test.
      It is intended to be humorous, but also possibly teach a lesson in
      what we can attain if we really focus, and are determined. For a poor
      runner, this story is surprisingly long-winded.

      I am not a running person. As a matter of fact I have always hated
      running for the sake of running....I love all sports and have always
      enjoyed running while playing...not just running to run. I would
      gladly
      play full-court basketball, or racquetball, or tennis for 5 hours
      straight, than run/jog/etc. To make a long story short, it was very
      difficult for me to overcome the mental side of not wanting to run;
      much
      less the physical side. I do not have the traditional runner's body.
      At 6'5, 260ish, I tend to have the body style of a linebacker, or maybe
      a professional wrestler, but not a distance runner...you tend to see
      guys that run as being 5'5, 120 lbs, but not my sasquatch-like size.

      As we started training, I found that 8 minutes seemed to be an
      unreachable
      goal for my body type. I trained for over a year, and saw my times
      drop
      from a starting pace in the 20's, (I was laughingly given the title,
      'slower than a dead rabbitt' by our Sensei) to somewhere in the 10-11
      range. I had two occasions where I broke 10(9:45, & 9:15), but never
      approached the allusive 8.

      When time for the test came, I was as mentally determined as I could be
      make this goal, even though I had never broken 9, much less 8. I
      started
      off flying, with the intent of forcing myself through the test, at a
      pace
      high enough to pass. This strategy worked well it seemed, as I passed
      the
      quarter mile mark under 1:30, which had me on a sub 6 minute run. I
      was
      still going strong almost to the halfway point, when it hit [BAMMMM],
      and
      'the wall' was there, and my body told my brain, "No Thank You!, This is
      stupid, and I am not going to do this anymore!!". I made the half
      way turn at 4:15(My best half ever), but new I would have to keep the
      same
      pace, and knock off some to still reach 8:00. I became extremely dis-
      couraged, and my body kept saying, "You are too big to run this fast,
      You
      can't do this!"...but I mentally kept pushing through. Then I hit a
      stage
      where I realized that I could not do it, and that I was going to fail,
      and there was nothing I could do about it, no matter how much I wanted
      make it, I just wasn't physically able. I spent a few seconds wallowing
      in pity, and even dropped out to a fast-walk because of it, then
      something
      else happened. I got mad! I started telling myself that I had trained
      and
      worked so hard for this, that I was not going to give up, and I would
      finish
      the run, and be sure I had given all that I had. With new vigor, that
      must
      have come via divine appointment, I started running again, and past the
      3/4 marker at a fairly good rate...but I was too drained to have the
      coordination to be able to look at my watch to see where my time
      was...as I
      turned into the last stretch, I heard the Senior Dan, who was timing the
      test say, "...Is that Dave??? Oh my Gosh....He might make it(with
      incredible
      disbelief and amazement in her voice), and she and the others started
      cheering...I must have looked like a cyclone of arms and legs flailing
      down the path, trying to get to the line, without falling down. I came
      point where I should begin the 'runner's kick', (I doubt anyone could
      tell
      I sped up any, but mentally I thought I was kicking), and I finally
      made
      it across the finish line without falling down.
      It seemed like I had just returned from a week long trek through the
      amazon,
      not a simple, 1 mile jog...but to me, it was more than that. My
      heart-rate
      was somewhere up around 500 bps, and my heart and lungs were very near
      exploding. I had extended myself way out of my comfortzone, and had
      given
      every possible ounce of strength and determination that I had to finish
      this race. I have never done anything that was so immediately
      demanding
      and challenging as this, and I never let myself give up on the goal.
      What
      do I have to show for it?

      --------------------------------> 7:53 <-------------------------------
      -----

      A number that I will always cherish, because it will always remind me
      that
      I was able to reach deep within, and find a way to attain a goal that I
      really did not have the ability to reach. I was able to trade my old
      title
      of 'slower than a dead rabbitt', in and was given a new title by our
      Sensei
      of 'fastest eighth ton on the planet'.

      Never lose sight of your goals, never give up, and have the will to
      believe!
      Dave

      ------------------------------ message 021 ------------------------------
      http://www.eGroups.com/list/wadokarate/?start=21

      Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 22:22:00 +0200
      From: Leonidas Papakonstantinou <papahis@...>
      Subject: [wadokarate] Wado Ryu

      Dear Matthew,
      I am very pleased having the chance to be a new member of the dicussion
      group about WADO RYU.
      Be sure that on the next days you will have more news from me and my
      Sensei TAKIS STATHOPOULOS (5th dan) - (under Sensei SUZUKI)
      best regards from Corfu / Kerkyra in Greece.

      Leonidas

      ------------------------------ message 022 ------------------------------
      http://www.eGroups.com/list/wadokarate/?start=22

      Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 16:52:57 -0800
      From: rnash@...
      Subject: [wadokarate] Hakoishi and Suparinpei

      HI,
      I'm having e-mail problems so if this shows up twice I apologize...
      I just reread what I wrote. If I offend, I apologize again. The
      intent was to initiate a fruitful dialogue...

      I was looking at Hakoishi's book during my lunch hour and noticed that
      it really did not have a publisher or a price on it. I got mine from
      Norm Foster. She got me a copy when she visited Dr. Hakoishi. I am
      going home to Japan in December so I will ask around.
      Yes, the book is in Japanese. And I do not recommend learning the kata
      from the book because it is hard to discern the movements from the
      photos. He did not pose for these photos. He is just doing the kata
      and a camera is clicking away. So each picture shows him in transition
      as opposed to the typical kata book where the author freezes at the end
      of each movement. If you already know the kata then these photos are
      extremely informative because as we all know, it is the transition that
      is the most important about a kata and not the finish...(end of the
      movement).
      However, what I can say is that Dr Hakoishi is doing Suparimpei in
      sanchin stance and not seishan stance. And also if you can learn the
      Shitoryu version then you pretty much got it because I sure as heck
      can't tell the difference..Don't ask me about goju because I don't know
      the details of the goju version although on the surface it appears to
      be very similar.
      The same goes for gojushiho. If you know the Shitoryu gojushiho then
      you pretty much have the Wado one. The stances are just 'Wadoized'.
      (unlike suparinpei which stays true to the Shitoryu stances.)
      I forgot to mention that the book also has Wado Sochin. Once again, it
      is the Shitoryu version and not Shotokan. The Shotokan Sochin is not
      even close. It is a totally different Sochin so don't even
      bother.(This is not meant to be a slam on Shotokan Sochin. I really
      like the Shotokan version..)
      My theory on all of this (just my personal opinion because I don't know
      very much but..) is that Otsuka learned these katas from Mabuni but
      never got around to modifying them that much for one reason or another.
      If you look at our core katas you can see that he took the time to put
      his stamp on it. Contrast the Shotokan Heian, Shitoryu Heian and Wado
      Pinan. I guess you really can't compare the Wado Pinan with the
      Shotokan Heian because Funakoshi's son radically changed all the katas
      so we really don't know what father Funakoshi really taught his first
      students but..Anyway, you will see that the Shitoryu influence is much
      stronger than the Shotokan influence. Naihanchi doesn't count because
      Otsuka learned that from Choki Motobu. There are always exceptions.
      Our Bassai is more similar to Shotokan than Shitoryu. I'm sure there
      are others but I don't know much about kata. (No false modesty. I
      really don't. I only know the katas I've been taught. I never learned
      Jion, Jitte, stuff like that. Unless I can find someone to teach me,
      I'm usually not interested in learning on my own. Guess I'm too lazy
      and not smart enough to figure it out.)

      Sorry for the rambling. I can be rather opinionated. Just to have
      some fun, let me sign off with the following statements....

      - Kata competition is stupid. (yes I competed. yes I'm stupid.)
      - Wado katas are very difficult.
      - You can gauge the level of a karateka by his/her kata....
      - The main purpose of kata is to study how to release energy within the
      given movement..
      - And lastly, my dear friend who I consider to be the best karateka in
      the United States (his kata is amazing but will remain nameless) and
      you have to trust me when I say I've seen or trained with most of the
      'masters', once said "Wado insults kata"....;)

      Bob Nash, JKF-Wadokai 5th dan.

      ------------------------------ message 023 ------------------------------
      http://www.eGroups.com/list/wadokarate/?start=23

      From: "Tokai Dojo" <tokaidojo@...>
      Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:15:54 -0600
      Subject: [wadokarate] No Subject

      I would like to join.

      Jerry Williams

      Free e-mail groups by eGroups.com.
    • Dan Wallis
      Message 100 of 100 , Apr 4 7:53 AM
        Hi Dave,
        I had sent this information regarding refereeing in earlier and I noticed
        it did not get included in your stats on the topic so I thought I would
        offer it one more time.

        Regards,
        Dan Wallis

        >Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:29:20 -0800
        >To: wadokarate@egroups.com
        >From: Dan Wallis <dan.wallis@...>
        >Subject: Re: wadokarate digest
        >Bcc:
        >To Graham Perrin
        >re: refereeing fees
        >
        >Karate British Columbia has a sliding scale to recognize the contributions
        >referees make at tournaments.They are, by the day, as follows:
        >
        > International $100
        > "A" calss $50
        > "B" class $25
        >In addition:
        >International and "A" class officials also receive transportation,
        >accommodation and a meals coverage for tournaments.
        >Hope this helps.
        >Dan Wallis

        Dan Wallis
        Telephone 287-7124 Fax 287-9631