Food for thought

  • shanethecrane
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 1, 2012
      I'm concerned for the current state of Karate in this day and age. Isn't funny that an art that is suppose to promote character growth is so full of individuals pushing their (supposed)rank around it's almost become a runway show. Hanshi, Shihan, Soke, Grand Poo Bah, the titles never stop coming. 5th,6th,7th, 8th 9th, 10dan, etc. How come none of these guys can put there technique where they're rank is. They do however seem to put the Big Macs where their mouth is. I'm not trying to inflame anyone here but don't you think alot of us need to re-think where we're going. I'm trying to do that myself on other levels. I just find it ironic that a lot of us aren't living up to the ideals we say we're setting. Now I'm not saying it's just us Wado guy/gals because for the most part we're much better than most. It's just that it's everywhere. It's everything from 18 year old 7th dans, shodans who do kata like orange belts, kumite competitors raising their fists and celebrating each point scored, to armchair grandmasters wrapped up in red and white checkered grandeur. etc. etc. It's a circus at times. The one thing that I've seen lately that really gets me is the self taught/promoted wannabes. It's just that you can't make fun of them anymore. There are a lot of people out there with questionable ranks and titles who are technically better than the supposed legitimate instructors. These guys wanted the skills so bad they went out and did everything they could to learn them and learn them they did. A lot of us set the bar so low it wasn't too hard for them to leap over it. It might have been higher if more of us trained instead of walking around the dojo floor barking orders.
    • shanethecrane
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 1, 2012