A *Working* Hypothesis

  • yahganlang
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2007
      The Yahgan term wvshta:gu:, referring to making, doing, working of any
      kind, has always been for me of interest in terms of its possible
      etymology.

      Yesterday it hit me that perhaps it contains the term si:hr, possessed
      si:tun, which means tools, things, possessions, etc.

      In a good number of instances, Yahgan s and sh are ambiguously
      rendered by Bridges when they come before high front vowels
      (si:kan/shi:kan for lower front leg, or in his earlier writings
      syu:an/shyu:an (or siu:an) demonstrative).

      Thus the -sht- might conceivably be a reduction of si:t-. The
      connection with tools and working is obvious, things and general
      doing/making perhaps less so. What wv- and -a:gu: might be is also
      speculative- the latter might be relatable to -a:gu: 'one's own' or
      'for self', and the wv- might relate to u:- voice 'permit/let/cause'
      or u:a- relating to 'masculine' stereotyped activity found in many terms.

      Jess Tauber
      phonosemantics@...