RE: [wa-liberals] Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam

  • Carol Davidek-Waller
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2013
      Nick Turse was interviewed by Bill Moyers who was in the Johnson White House at the time much of this was happening.
      He spent 12 years researching this book on his own...no advances. Check it out.
      http://billmoyers.com/segment/nick-turse-describes-the-real-vietnam-war/

      To: wa-liberals@yahoogroups.com; wadem-leaders@...; shoreline-neighbors@...; snow-lakeforestpark@...; pdcw@...; 32DemsEBOARD@yahoogroups.com; pdcw@...; democracyforwashington@yahoogroups.com
      From: dick.mcmanus@...
      Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 21:53:46 -0800
      Subject: [wa-liberals] Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam

      Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam by Nick Turse

      Declassified Papers Show U.S. Atrocities in Vietnam Went Far Beyond My Lai
      The files are part of a once-secret archive, assembled by a Pentagon task force in the early 1970s, that shows that confirmed atrocities by U.S. forces in Vietnam were more extensive than was previously known.

      The documents detail 320 alleged incidents that were substantiated by Army investigators -- not including the most notorious U.S. atrocity, the 1968 My Lai massacre.  Based on Turse's meticulously documented findings, nobody can ever again state convincingly that the U.S. invasion of Vietnam was honorable.   This 384-page book he writes: "[T]he stunning scale of civilian suffering in Vietnam is far beyond anything that can be explained as merely the work of some 'bad apples,' however numerous. -- Murder, torture, rape, abuse, forced displacement, home burnings, specious arrests, imprisonment without due process -- such occurrences were virtually a daily fact of life throughout the years of the American presence in Vietnam. . . . they were no aberration.”

      Though not a complete accounting of Vietnam war crimes, the archive is the largest such collection to surface to date. About 9,000 pages, it includes investigative files, sworn statements by witnesses and status reports for top military brass.

      The records describe recurrent attacks on ordinary Vietnamese -- families in their homes, farmers in rice paddies, teenagers out fishing. Hundreds of soldiers, in interviews with investigators and letters to commanders, described a violent minority who murdered, raped, and tortured with impunity.

      Abuses were not confined to a few rogue units, a Times review of the files found. They were uncovered in every Army division that operated in Vietnam.

      Among the substantiated cases in the archive:

      • Seven massacres from 1967 through 1971 in which at least 137 civilians died.

      • Seventy-eight other attacks on noncombatants in which at least 57 were killed, 56 wounded and 15 sexually assaulted.

      • One hundred forty-one instances in which U.S. soldiers tortured civilian detainees or prisoners of war with fists, sticks, bats, water or electric shock.

      Investigators determined that evidence against 203 soldiers accused of harming Vietnamese civilians or prisoners was strong enough to warrant formal charges. These "founded" cases were referred to the soldiers' superiors for action.

      Ultimately, 57 of them were court-martialed and just 23 convicted, the records show.
      Many substantiated cases were closed with a letter of reprimand, a fine or, in more than half the cases, no action at all.  Brigadier General Robert G. Gard who oversaw the war crimes task force at the Pentagon in the early 1970s said, "We could have court-martialed them but didn't,"  He retired as a Lt. General when he should have resigned in protest.
      The records were declassified in 1994, after 20 years as required by law, and moved to the National Archives in College Park, Md., where they went largely unnoticed.

      The *Times* examined most of the files and obtained copies of about 3,000 pages -- about a third of the total -- before government officials removed them from the public shelves, saying they contained personal information that was exempt from the Freedom of Information Act.

      In a letter to Westmoreland in 1970, an anonymous sergeant described widespread, unreported killings of civilians by members of the 9th Infantry Division in the Mekong Delta -- and blamed pressure from superiors to generate high body counts.

      "A batalion [sic] would kill maybe 15 to 20 [civilians] a day. With 4 batalions (sic) in the brigade that would be maybe 40 to 50 a day or 1200 to 1500 a month, easy," the unnamed sergeant wrote. "If I am only 10% right, and believe me it's lots more, then I am trying to tell you about 120-150 murders, or a My Lay [sic] each month for over a year."
      If any of you Vets have witness a war crime, write up a summary of the incident and send me it in an email.
      Dick McManus, Chief Warrant Officer/counterintelligence special agent, US Army, and combat paramedic, Vietnam, retired.

      SOME UNKNOWN HISTORY OF THE U.S.
      check out my online book - a work in progress:
      and learn about the crimes of the CIA and US war crimes,
      Department of Justice- cover-up of drug trafficking, etc.

      All the judges, public officials, and political Party candidates are COWARDs for not prosecuting Bush et. al. for war crimes.

      The Bush Administration guilty of 269 War Crimes

      Prosecute Bush for War Crimes

      Join the National Religious Campaign Against Torture
      http://www.nrcat.org/...