Tell Obama to VETO the NDAA of 2012

  • elaine phelps
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2011
      Can there be anything more politically pressing today than doing your best to get Obama to VETO the unconstitutional National Defense Authorization Act of 2012?

      Section 1032 ALLOWS - although it does not require - the military to put American citizens into indefinite detention without following the Constitutional provision for habeas corpus, the writ that requires all who are detained to be arraigned before a judge on specified charges.  For American citizens, Section 1032 does away with miranda notification, arraignment, public trial, appeal - every legal right now in force when a citizen is detained by the government.

      There are other provisions in this bill that are obnoxious, but to my mind none so subversive of democratic governance and our constitution as Section 1032.

      Please act ASAP to tell the president how strongly you oppose the NDAA of 2012 because of Section 1032.

           1-800-833-6354   Press 1 for Capitol Switchboard   Press 2 for White House and ask for Comment Line

           email:  http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact

      Elaine Phelps
      32nd LD SCW