PLEASE READ! Breaking News - Special Edition of American Bicyclist Update - Transportation Bill Unveiled Today & Bicycle Programs Eliminated

  • dsinger@npgcable.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
      Please add your voice to this very important issue.  It’s very easy to do, with nothing to write if you don’t want to.  Just click on the contacts their representative below and you will be asked to send the already written e-mail, just add you name and you’re done.

      Dave Singer

      You're receiving this email because of your relationship with League of American Bicyclists. Please confirm your continued interest in receiving email from us.

      You may unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive our emails.
      January 31, 2012
      Greetings!

      Moments ago, Congressman John Mica (R-FL) announced the introduction of the American Energy and Infrastructure Jobs Act. The proposed bill eliminates dedicated funding for bicycling and walking as we feared, and it goes much further and systematically removes bicycling from the Federal transportation program. It basically eliminates our status and standing in the planning and design of our transportation system -- a massive step backwards for individuals, communities and our nation. It's a step back to a 1950s highway- and auto-only program that makes no sense in the 21st century.

      The bill reverses 20 years of progress by:

      • destroying Transportation Enhancements by making it optional;
      • repealing the Safe Routes to School program, reversing years of progress in creating safe ways for kids to walk and ride bicycles to school;
      • allowing states to build bridges without safe access for pedestrians and bicycles;
      • eliminating bicycle and pedestrian coordinators in state DOTs; and
      • eliminating language that insures that rumble strips "do not adversely affect the safety or mobility of bicyclists, pedestrians or the disabled."

      On Thursday, the House Transportation and Infrastructure (T&I) Committee will mark-up the bill and Representatives Petri (R-WI) and Johnson (R-IL) will sponsor an amendment that restores dedicated funding for Transportation Enhancements and Safe Routes to School. Representatives Petri and Johnson can only be successful if everyone with a stake in safe sidewalks, crosswalks, and bikeways contacts their representative today.

      Because of these urgent new developments, and the vital importance of a HUGE turnout on Capitol Hill in March, the National Bike Summit early bird registration deadline has been extended to Feb 20. We need every single cyclist in Washington, D.C. that the city can hold (and that's thousands ...). Register today!

      Stay in touch by visiting bikeleague.org and americabikes.org for background and breaking news.

      Sincerely,

      Andy Clarke
      League President

      The League of American Bicyclists promotes bicycling for fun, fitness and transportation, and works through advocacy and education for a bicycle-friendly America. The League represents the interests of America's 57 million bicyclists, including its 300,000 members and affiliates. For more information or to support the League, visit www.bikeleague.org.

      Action Alert Link
      Quick Links

      Bike League Twitter

      Join Our Mailing List
      This email was sent to dsinger@... by bikeleague@... |
      League of American Bicyclists | 1612 K Street NW | Suite 510 | Washington | DC | 20006
    • Bob Richards
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
        E-mail sent off to Gosar> I also sent one yesterday. Bob

        On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM, <dsinger@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Mike and Linda Harris
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012

          Did it. Easy. Hope everyone does.

          MH

          E-mail sent off to Gosar> I also sent one yesterday. Bob

          On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM, <dsinger@...> wrote:

          Please add your voice to this very important issue.  It’s very easy to do, with nothing to write if you don’t want to.  Just click on the contacts their representative below and you will be asked to send the already written e-mail, just add you name and you’re done.

          Dave Singer

          You're receiving this email because of your relationship with League of American Bicyclists. Please confirm your continued interest in receiving email from us.

          You may unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive our emails.

          Error! Filename not specified.

[...]

        • Kevin Dix
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2012
            I also e-mailed Gosar, and it was easy.  Thanks for the heads-up.
            Kevin