5 days left to submit your AVIxD workshop paper!

  • Peter Krogh
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2010

      -        Fireworks are overrated

      -        It’s too hot to go outside anyway

      -        Everyone keeps saying “speech is dead.” What are you going to do about it?

      This weekend, take 15 minutes and blast out your deepest thoughts on how speech will survive in the 20-teens. (Position papers are supposed to be 500 words, but we’re not counting)

      Peter & David

      --------------------------

      Call for Papers  |  9th Annual AVIxD Workshop 2010

      Speech in a Multi-Channel World

      Sunday, 1 August 2010  |  Just prior to SpeechTEK 2010  |  1 – 7 PM

      New York, New York 10019

      Join us for the 2010 workshop on voice user interface design, Speech In a Multi-Channel World. The AVIxD workshop is a hands-on session in which voice user interface practitioners come together to debate a topic of interest to the VUI community. The workshop is an opportunity to meet with your peers and delve deeply into a single topic. As in 2009, we will be publishing our papers on www.avixd.org. Please visit our website for more details on the purpose of the organization and how you can be part of it.

      To be considered for the workshop, individuals must submit a position paper of approximately 500 words on this year’s topic:

      Speech as a stand-alone application, living in its own silo, is coming to an end. As speech becomes more integrated with backend systems, other modalities are emerging as new opportunities to manage customer interactions. SMS, MMS, smartphone applications, live chat, “bot” chat, social media, instant messaging and other nascent media are gaining traction not only as stand-alone opportunities for new customer touch-points, but are becoming more integrated with each other. The market is demanding a new class of tools and development methodology where speech is only one element of an integrated, multi-channel or multi-modal solution. Many traditional speech customers have also chosen to begin making it easier for their customers to reach live agents.

      These three changes in the market directly threaten stand-alone speech IVRs: Customers are using channels other than speech as their preferred point of contact. Customers expect all channels to be aware of each other. Customers will fight an IVR to get to a live agent.

      How must speech evolve to survive these changes? Since the speech medium is so much different from the visual, how can we help frame the conversation to prevent speech from receding into an ugly shadow of its former self, but rather make it a dynamic, useful medium as part of an integrated whole?

      As usual, specific examples of applications you’ve worked on are always most valuable to the UX community.

      The cost of participation is free to AVIxD members; non-members will be charged $40, however the fee may be applied towards AVIxD membership at the workshop. Please submit your papers via email no later than Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 to cfp@.... Letters of acceptance will be sent out shortly thereafter.

      We look forward to seeing you in New York!  Contact either of the co-chairs with questions.

      Peter Krogh (peter@...)

      David Attwater (david@...)

    • Peter Nann
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2010

        >>    It’s too hot to go outside anyway

        I suppose we might as well be on another planet down here…

        We have had iced-up windscreens in Sydney this week, which is something we are NOT used to around here at any time of the year…

        I have even had to get my purchased-in-Chicago gloves out of mothballs!

        Sorry, but my space-ship doesn’t have enough flux-capacitor fuel to cross the galactic divide, so I will yet again be missing all the fun in sunny NY.

        Have a good one.

        P.S. It’s been quiet around these parts lately???

        There isn’t another forum going on somewhere I don’t know about, is there?

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2010

          Offending the non-U.S. membership with references to our national holidays and local seasons is part of my master plan to attract attention to the call for papers.

          There is another forum but a funny thing happened on the way there and I can’t tell you about it.

          /Peter