OT: Hacked. or "there is something worse than a buggy Vue patch"

  • Orio
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
      Hi,

      believe it or not, there is something worse than a buggy Vue d'Esprit patch.
      Do you think you can be safe when buying online from secure servers? Think
      again.
      I never bought anything online outside of secure servers. But this did not
      prevent an Australia-based criminal to fraud my credit card for $70 in the
      last days of December, with non-existent porno-site purchases.
      I blocked the card immediately today, but the worst part is, that I don't
      have any idea of how much the criminal could spend with my credit card in
      January. I'll only be able to find out on Monday morning, when the offices
      will open. For what I know, he might have frauded me of hundreds or maybe
      thousands of dollars.
      In the first case, I am in trouble; in the second case, I am in *serious*
      trouble.

      So as you can see, I am going to have a very nice weekend...

      Orio
    • Guitta Schmit-Bertaud
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
        That's terrible Orio, I'm really sorry for that! And it makes me afraid, as
        I have purchased things especially from Renerosity, but even somwhere else.

        Do you remember all the places from where you have purchased in December ? I
        think it would be interesting for us all to be specially careful when using
        certain sites. I know my request is indiscret, but it could help us to know.

        I hope you have blocked early anough not to have more bad surprises.
        Thanks for informing us.

        Good luck, I hope for you.

        Regards,
        Guitta

        > believe it or not, there is something worse than a buggy Vue d'Esprit
        patch.
        > Do you think you can be safe when buying online from secure servers? Think
        > again.
        > I never bought anything online outside of secure servers. But this did not
        > prevent an Australia-based criminal to fraud my credit card for $70 in the
        > last days of December, with non-existent porno-site purchases.
        > I blocked the card immediately today, but the worst part is, that I don't
        > have any idea of how much the criminal could spend with my credit card in
        > January. I'll only be able to find out on Monday morning, when the offices
        > will open. For what I know, he might have frauded me of hundreds or maybe
        > thousands of dollars.
        > In the first case, I am in trouble; in the second case, I am in *serious*
        > trouble.
        >
        > So as you can see, I am going to have a very nice weekend...
        >
        > Orio
        >

        > Community email addresses:
        > Post message: vuedesprit@yahoogroups.com
        > Subscribe: vuedesprit-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Shortcut URL to this page:

      • Mike J
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
          >Orio,

          That is, of course, terrible to hear, and sorting it out will be a pain in
          the ass, but if it means anything, it happened to me once, and they only
          held me liable for $50.00, out of $600.00. It had nothing to do with the
          web though, in my case, since it was before my web purchasing days,
          although the 600 WAS subsequently spent on internet porno sites, among
          other things.
          Hopefully this is just going to be a pain in the ass for you, and not
          something worse. Not like I'm hoping for THAT either, but what's been done
          has been done.
          Good luck, Orio.
          -Mike

          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > believe it or not, there is something worse than a buggy Vue d'Esprit
          >patch.
          > > Do you think you can be safe when buying online from secure servers? Think
          > > again.
          > > I never bought anything online outside of secure servers. But this did not
          > > prevent an Australia-based criminal to fraud my credit card for $70 in the
          > > last days of December, with non-existent porno-site purchases.
          > > I blocked the card immediately today, but the worst part is, that I don't
          > > have any idea of how much the criminal could spend with my credit card in
          > > January. I'll only be able to find out on Monday morning, when the offices
          > > will open. For what I know, he might have frauded me of hundreds or maybe
          > > thousands of dollars.
          > > In the first case, I am in trouble; in the second case, I am in *serious*
          > > trouble.
          > >
          > > So as you can see, I am going to have a very nice weekend...
          > >
          > > Orio
          > >

          >\
        • Michael Wagner
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
            Hi!

            That's really bad ...

            I hope you can get back the money this criminal spent.
            Is there any insurance for credit cards or is a charge-back still possible?
            I don't know much about this.
            I only know that the credit card system should be replaced by a more secure
            one, but I don't think this will happen in the next years ... That's why I
            didn't use a credit card for online payments yet and will only use it If I
            know it's secure or at least that there's an insurance.

            btw, also use a current antivirus to check your computer for worms, Orio.
            Did you only enter the card information at online shops you know you can
            trust which also don't store the card information on their servers, but send
            it directly to the bank(s)?

            Guitta's right.

            Michael

            > believe it or not, there is something worse than a buggy Vue d'Esprit
            patch.
            > Do you think you can be safe when buying online from secure servers? Think
            > again.
            > I never bought anything online outside of secure servers. But this did not
            > prevent an Australia-based criminal to fraud my credit card for $70 in the
            > last days of December, with non-existent porno-site purchases.
            > I blocked the card immediately today, but the worst part is, that I don't
            > have any idea of how much the criminal could spend with my credit card in
            > January. I'll only be able to find out on Monday morning, when the offices
            > will open. For what I know, he might have frauded me of hundreds or maybe
            > thousands of dollars.
            > In the first case, I am in trouble; in the second case, I am in *serious*
            > trouble.
            >
            > So as you can see, I am going to have a very nice weekend...
            >
            > Orio
            >

            > Community email addresses:
            > Post message: vuedesprit@yahoogroups.com
            > Subscribe: vuedesprit-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            >
            > Shortcut URL to this page:

          • Andy Moorer
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
              I recently had all my assets frozen across several bank accounts because a
              criminal had gotten my card number. The good news is that the companies
              expert systems recognized a pattern of suspicious behavior (after they had
              spend several thousand $$.) The bad news is that at the time I was out of
              town, with my wife in the hospital there, no friends in the area... and the
              cards were not only my credit cards, they were my ATM cards, and with
              everything tied up (despite having two different banks, apparently they talk
              together) I found myself without anything but pocket change. I had to wait
              about 8 days for access to my own money. Western union and my single
              surviving family member kept things from being a complete disaster.

              They never caught the person, but like you the charges were to fictitious
              porn sites. I don't know why. The one thing to take hope in is that that
              money is taken from your card company, not yourself. If they try to make you
              pay for anything you didn't purchase, refuse and they'll back down
              immediately since they are crossing a big red line if they do. You never,
              ever, have to pay a credit company for any item you never received or
              expense you didn't agree to.

              Good luck! Oh, and by the way has anyone got a good workflow for using VUE
              to create Spherical or Box environment maps for compositing in other apps?
            • Orio
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
                Hi,
                I'm sorry to have gone so much OT.
                I was (and am) feeling very down, so I felt like going for my online
                friends, which are you.
                Please reply privately from now on, so we don't bother the other members
                with my private troubles.

                I reply to all together.
                The peculiar thing in my case, it that the two addresses I was hacked from,
                are not porno sites directly. They are online payment companies that work
                with porno sites. But the worst thing is: they are fake. They have two
                different URLs, but the style of the pages is identical. This means that it
                is a criminal organisation that uses those fake payment companies as a
                coverage to commit credit card frauds.
                About the purchases I made - of course I can't publish anything, it would be
                diffamatory. I will send you privately a list, Guitta, if you wish. But keep
                in mind that nothing grants that they took my info in December. They might
                have taken it before.
                Actually I have a suspicion about the same people that started to spam me
                with emails from Australia and New Zealand, from last March on... I won't
                add a word more, but those of you who know, might imagine what I mean... I
                find it a non negligible coincidence the fact that I got hacked from the
                same location in the world I am spam-bombed it's almost an year now.
                Mike: I don't know if I'll be able to recover my money. My card is a VISA
                affiliate. They told me it will be very hard. The fact is that it's not
                someone buying things with my card. It's someone pretending that I bought
                things myself...
                Michael I don't know if there are insurances... I hope so... About worms, I
                have Norton running all the time... I don't know if it's good enough
                protection or if I should have a firewall instead... but I don't keep any
                credit card info on file in my computer... unless the secure server payment
                process leaves traces in temporary cookies etc... which they should NOT, but
                I don't really know...
                Guitta I won't have any more surprises from today on, I blocked the card
                first thing, but... what happened in January? January was 31 days long....
                What if they spent many hundreds? It would be a tragedy for my very tight
                finances. :-(( I just paid 6 months of rent and am dry already. I can't
                afford a big theft. :-((

                Thanks my friends for the support.

                Orio
              • madmartin_c
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2002
                  Hi Orio,
                  That is very worrying news, and I do hope that you have insurance on
                  your card to safegaurd against fruad.
                  I purchase alot over the web and still feel very confident in doing
                  so, as credit card fraud is not just restricted to the web. My friend
                  had £2000 GB (approx $3000 US) taken fom his account, via stolen
                  credit card numbers. The "thief" turned out to be a waiter at a
                  resturant he had visited 4 weeks before, who was selling the numbers
                  he was stealing, on to a more organised group of fraudsters.
                  I hope the outcome is not too bad for you Orio...I keep my fingers
                  crossed.
                  Regards,
                  Martin

                  --- In vuedesprit@y..., "Orio" <oriomail@p...> wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > believe it or not, there is something worse than a buggy Vue
                  d'Esprit patch.
                  > Do you think you can be safe when buying online from secure
                  servers? Think
                  > again.
                  > I never bought anything online outside of secure servers. But this
                  did not
                  > prevent an Australia-based criminal to fraud my credit card for $70
                  in the
                  > last days of December, with non-existent porno-site purchases.
                  > I blocked the card immediately today, but the worst part is, that I
                  don't
                  > have any idea of how much the criminal could spend with my credit
                  card in
                  > January. I'll only be able to find out on Monday morning, when the
                  offices
                  > will open. For what I know, he might have frauded me of hundreds or
                  maybe
                  > thousands of dollars.
                  > In the first case, I am in trouble; in the second case, I am in
                  *serious*
                  > trouble.
                  >
                  > So as you can see, I am going to have a very nice weekend...
                  >
                  > Orio
                • Hugh Foster
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
                    Sympathy! Dunno what card you have, but the Barclaycard I use on the
                    Net has insurance; if I report it hacked I get my money back. Fingers
                    are crossed for you.

                    --

                    Hugh Foster
                    hugh@...
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
                      >My friend
                      >had £2000 GB (approx $3000 US) taken fom his account, via stolen
                      >credit card numbers. The "thief" turned out to be a waiter at a
                      >resturant he had visited 4 weeks before, who was selling the numbers
                      >he was stealing, on to a more organised group of fraudsters.

                      Yes, according to a couple of different sources, the Internet is one of the
                      more safer places for credit card purchases. Apparently, at least in the
                      US, 80% of the credit card theft occurs at local stores and restaurants
                      (restaurants is #1).
                      Last summer, I found a $275 charge to a groceries store in the
                      Philipines. The credit card company reversed the charge and made the store
                      prove I'd made it. As it turned out, they had the wrong address
                      information, birthday, and etc., so the charge stayed reversed. According
                      to the Philipine charge card security person, this happens
                      frequently. Store or restaurant employees here in the US, will randomly
                      steal a charge card# and use it to buy groceries for their families or
                      friends back home. By the time anyone notices the charge, they've already
                      eaten the food. Fortunately, I check my charge card statements regularly
                      online. I noticed the fraudulent charge the day after it was posted and
                      had that number closed immediately. Unfortunately, the way things are
                      today these kinds of things are likely to happen to use all. It's a
                      headache at the least.
                      -Irene-