Re: [vtp] VTP browser plugin

  • Lars Fricke
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 22, 2010
      Ben,

      thanks for the detailed information.

      - Lars

      Am 22.07.2010 23:43, schrieb Ben Discoe:
      > Lars,
      >
      > There is the 'vtocx' project;
      > http://www.vterrain.org/Doc/vtocx.html
      >
      > It basically takes one of the ActiveX + OSG projects, and wrapped vtlib on
      > top of the OSG part. It worked to some degree. However, some issues:
      >
      > 1. It's heavily using some finicky Microsoft technologies. OCX controls can
      > have issues 'registering' themselves on various Windows machines. Use of
      > the MSVC runtime libs also introduce issues running everywhere.
      >
      > 2. It's tricky to build, because of the MFC dependence. MFC is not provided
      > in the free MSVC, different versions of MFC are not interchangeable.
      >
      > Personally, having tangled with MFC and OCXs a few times over a decade, i do
      > not like them at all. If i was to make a VTP web plugin that i would
      > actually want to use, i would write it as a Mozilla plugin. Of course, in
      > some business environments people are sadly forced to support IE.
      >
      > -Ben

    • Lars Fricke
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010
        Hello,

        I am trying to do the following:
        Use a vector (polygon) map with land use (attribute) as input for a
        ground texture (for instance shape). It would include maybe grass,
        water, sealed faces and so on. I would now like to link textures that
        can be tiled to each land use attribute. In the next step I would want
        to display the corresponding vector map on top of the terrain model in
        Enviro instead of the texture or to at least generate a high resolution
        texture from it for Enviro that does not look "pixeled". Is there any
        way to do such thing?

        Thanks for any ideas.

        Lars
      • Ben Discoe
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010
          Lars,

          It is possible to do what you want (different areas of tiles texture) using
          a TIN for the base elevation, but not using a Grid. That's because the TIN
          can have arbitrary polygon boundaries between areas with different tiling
          ground texture. It is not trivial to do that with a grid, which has its own
          polygon boundaries.

          For your next step, you should try loading your vector map into Enviro as an
          Abstract layer, draped on the terrain. You can drape Abstract layers on
          either a TIN or Grid, it does not matter.

          -Ben

        • Lars Fricke
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010
            Ben,

            Thanks for the fast answer. I have been loading vector maps into enviro
            frequently but I did not discover so far, how to texture the contained
            polys. How do I do this and how do I work with a TIN the way you proposed?

            - Lars

            Am 04.08.2010 03:15, schrieb Ben Discoe:
            > Lars,
            >
            > It is possible to do what you want (different areas of tiles texture) using
            > a TIN for the base elevation, but not using a Grid. That's because the TIN
            > can have arbitrary polygon boundaries between areas with different tiling
            > ground texture. It is not trivial to do that with a grid, which has its own
            > polygon boundaries.
            >
            > For your next step, you should try loading your vector map into Enviro as an
            > Abstract layer, draped on the terrain. You can drape Abstract layers on
            > either a TIN or Grid, it does not matter.
            >
            > -Ben

          • Ben Discoe
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2010
              Lars,

              How to get a TIN depends on what your elevation source data is. Frequently,
              surveyed data is stored as a TIN, or as contours which can be coverted to a
              TIN, with traditional CAD/GIS tools. If your source data is a grid, then
              you can also convert the grid to a TIN, but that will produce a potentially
              excessive number of triangles. (For modest extens and modern hardware, this
              triangle count is perhaps not a problem.)

              To texture with colored polygons, regardless of elevation, the simplest way
              is to rasterize the polygons in your GIS tool, then use that raster as a
              texture in Enviro. You have probably already tried that, since you
              mentioned the "pixeled" look that can result, depending on your extents and
              texture resolution.

              One potential workaround, to minimize the pixelation, can be to use a
              texture overlay (Image layer). This works well if you have e.g. a large
              terrain extent, but a small area with colored polygons. For example, your
              polygons might cover a town, but the elevation extent includes the
              surrounding mountains.

              To go further into how to produce the effect you want with the data you
              have, i'd probably have to try out a sample of your data.

              -Ben