USGS Seamless BIL format?

  • Stephan Heigl
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2003
      Hi,

      does anyone know which files holds the extent coord. of the BIL format from
      the USGS seamless application (seamless.usgs.gov)?

      I don't care about projection and so on, just the the extents to get the grid
      spacing.

      Thank you very much.
      - Stephan
    • Thatcher Ulrich
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2003
        On Feb 02, 2003 at 11:59 +0100, Stephan Heigl wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > does anyone know which files holds the extent coord. of the BIL
        > format from the USGS seamless application (seamless.usgs.gov)?
        >
        > I don't care about projection and so on, just the the extents to get
        > the grid spacing.

        I think it's the .BLW file. According to
        http://www.fsl.orst.edu/helpdesk/gis/usgs_doqq.html , the values in
        that file are:

        x pixel dimension
        translation term
        translation term
        -y pixel dimension
        x of upper left pixel center
        y of upper left pixel center

        I read somewhere else that the "translation term"s are actually
        rotation terms, and in the BIL I've looked at they're zero anyway.
        The x,y coords in my BIL seem to be decimal longitude,latitude.

        --
        Thatcher Ulrich
        http://tulrich.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2003
          On Sunday 02 February 2003 16:01, Thatcher Ulrich wrote:
          > On Feb 02, 2003 at 11:59 +0100, Stephan Heigl wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > does anyone know which files holds the extent coord. of the BIL
          > > format from the USGS seamless application (seamless.usgs.gov)?
          > >
          > > I don't care about projection and so on, just the the extents to get
          > > the grid spacing.
          >
          > I think it's the .BLW file. According to
          > http://www.fsl.orst.edu/helpdesk/gis/usgs_doqq.html , the values in
          > that file are:
          >
          > x pixel dimension
          > translation term
          > translation term
          > -y pixel dimension
          > x of upper left pixel center
          > y of upper left pixel center
          >
          > I read somewhere else that the "translation term"s are actually
          > rotation terms, and in the BIL I've looked at they're zero anyway.
          > The x,y coords in my BIL seem to be decimal longitude,latitude.

          Thanks for the link. But then i wonder what the .STX file is for, mine for the
          Mt. Hood region looks like this:
          1 688 3420 1365.5 391.1

          regards,
          Stephan
        • marius_schilder <marius_schilder@yahoo.c
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2003
            Before i start writing one, does anyone have a simple tool to resample
            such a BIL into a UTM 30 meter grid?

            marius

            --- In vtp@yahoogroups.com, "Thatcher Ulrich" <tu@t...> wrote:
            > On Feb 02, 2003 at 11:59 +0100, Stephan Heigl wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > does anyone know which files holds the extent coord. of the BIL
            > > format from the USGS seamless application (seamless.usgs.gov)?
            > >
            > > I don't care about projection and so on, just the the extents to get
            > > the grid spacing.
            >
            > I think it's the .BLW file. According to
            > http://www.fsl.orst.edu/helpdesk/gis/usgs_doqq.html , the values in
            > that file are:
            >
            > x pixel dimension
            > translation term
            > translation term
            > -y pixel dimension
            > x of upper left pixel center
            > y of upper left pixel center
            >
            > I read somewhere else that the "translation term"s are actually
            > rotation terms, and in the BIL I've looked at they're zero anyway.
            > The x,y coords in my BIL seem to be decimal longitude,latitude.
            >
            > --
            > Thatcher Ulrich
            > http://tulrich.com
          • Frank Warmerdam
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2003
              marius_schilder wrote:
              > Before i start writing one, does anyone have a simple tool to resample
              > such a BIL into a UTM 30 meter grid?

              Marius,

              I haven't been following this discussion closely, but the gdal_translate
              utility can be used to translate ESRI BIL files to different resolutions
              (using nearest neighbour sampling). The gdal_warp utility can translate
              between projections with some limitations.

              Let me know if you need details, but you might want to skim:

              http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/gdal_utilities.html

              Best regards,

              I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam@...
            • Peter Guth
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2003
                MICRODEM can do the reprojection from Lat/Long to UTM. It would prefer that
                you download the data as a Geotiff. Since USGS changed the format of the
                BIL, I don't know if it will like the BIL file.

                Peter L. Guth
                Professor
                Department of Oceanography, USNA
                http://www.usna.edu/Users/oceano/pguth/website/plghome.htm
                410-293-6560

              • Ben Discoe
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2003
                  Marius,

                  Frank and Peter have pointed out that GDAL and MicroDEM can do the task of
                  converting and cropping the BIL file. I'd like to add that VTBuilder will
                  also do this, with a friendly interface for cropping out the undefined
                  border areas that generally result from a projection conversion.

                  -Ben