question

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1 10:46 AM
      If a minion uses "Vast Wealth," is "Weighted Walking Stick (WWS)"
      considered a weapon? WWS reads as if it counts as a weapon only "While in
      play." So, does "Vast Wealth" finding it make it "in play?"

      Same question for a "Zip Gun."

      I assume that "Vast Wealth" does not recognize these cards since they are
      COMBAT cards. At least, I hope I am right.

      Thanks,

      Richard
    • LSJ
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1 11:07 AM
        Richard wrote:

        > If a minion uses "Vast Wealth," is "Weighted Walking Stick (WWS)"
        > considered a weapon? WWS reads as if it counts as a weapon only "While in
        > play."

        Right. So Vast Wealth won't find it.

        > So, does "Vast Wealth" finding it make it "in play?"

        No. Vast Wealth searches the library. Cards in the library are not in play.

        > Same question for a "Zip Gun."

        Same answer: no.

        > I assume that "Vast Wealth" does not recognize these cards since they are
        > COMBAT cards. At least, I hope I am right.

        Exactly right.

        --
        LSJ (vtesrep@...) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
        V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes
        Message 3 of 19 , May 15 5:35 PM
          I one plays "The Summoning" in it's superior form is the Allie recruited
          placed in the uncontrolled region as typical, or is it placed in the ready
          region because of the non-typical manner in which it was pulled from the
          library?

          Seems to me it's uncontrolled still, but one can hope.

          Next question: Besides a "Vagabond Mystic", how can one add to an Allies
          life pool? Taste of Vitae, blood dolls, hunting, HG's, and even equipment
          cards all work for vamps only. Even "Minion Gird: says it's for Vamps
          only.

          Thanks,

          Richard
        • LSJ
          Message 4 of 19 , May 16 3:45 AM
            Richard wrote:
            > I one plays "The Summoning" in it's superior form is the Allie recruited
            > placed in the uncontrolled region as typical, or is it placed in the ready
            > region because of the non-typical manner in which it was pulled from the
            > library?
            >
            > Seems to me it's uncontrolled still, but one can hope.

            Correct. "This vampire recruits that ally".

            > Next question: Besides a "Vagabond Mystic", how can one add to an Allies
            > life pool? Taste of Vitae, blood dolls, hunting, HG's, and even equipment
            > cards all work for vamps only. Even "Minion Gird: says it's for Vamps
            > only.

            Healing Touch
            Panacea
            Purification
            Rejuvenate
            Respire
            Root of Vitality

            Some allies can play cards "as a vampire" to gain blood (which means they'd gain
            life from things like Theft of Vitae).

            And some allies naturally regenerate (Renegade Garou, e.g.).

            Message 5 of 19 , May 19 7:36 PM
              Ok,

              Wake with Evening Freshness needs a clarification for me. My ELDB shows
              the vampire wakes until the action is concluded only; and the erratta (
              http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=rulings ) shows that the
              woken vamp need not attempt to block or play reaction cards.

              So, is this just a way to get a card (Wake) out of your hand or does a
              Wake play like the minor of Rat's Warning and you can leave the vamp
              untapped.

              Sounds like they just clarified that one can throw the card for fishing
              purposes.

              Richard
            • LSJ
              Message 6 of 19 , May 20 3:55 AM
                Richard wrote:

                > Ok,
                >
                > Wake with Evening Freshness needs a clarification for me. My ELDB shows
                > the vampire wakes until the action is concluded only; and the erratta (
                > http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=rulings
                > <http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=rulings> ) shows that the
                > woken vamp need not attempt to block or play reaction cards.
                >
                > So, is this just a way to get a card (Wake) out of your hand or does a
                > Wake play like the minor of Rat's Warning and you can leave the vamp
                > untapped.

                Wake doesn't untap the vampire. It allows the vampire to play cards as if
                untapped and attempt to block as if untapped.

                Message 7 of 19 , May 29 3:27 PM
                  Hi All,

                  At what point in play does the "burn a location" component of the War
                  Ghoul get utilized.

                  If I "D action" an attack and it is blocked (or if I block with the War
                  Ghoul), may I then prior to determining range elect instead to burn a
                  location on the board? Or, once a block occurs, has battle already begun
                  thereby eliminating the burn option? I can see it being argued both ways.

                  At what point does one choose to use the burn option? Looks like any time
                  the War Ghoul feels like it (regardless of who's turn it is). But what is
                  the most strategic time?

                  Thanks,

                  Richard
                • LSJ
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 29 5:23 PM
                    Richard wrote:

                    > Hi All,
                    >
                    > At what point in play does the "burn a location" component of the War
                    > Ghoul get utilized.

                    Whenever the controller wants, so long as it isn't during combat.

                    > If I "D action" an attack and it is blocked (or if I block with the War
                    > Ghoul), may I then prior to determining range elect instead to burn a
                    > location on the board? Or, once a block occurs, has battle already begun
                    > thereby eliminating the burn option? I can see it being argued both ways.

                    Before combat starts, you can use the War Ghoul, if she's untapped.

                    If she blocks successfully, though, she'll tap (for the successful block) and so
                    you won't be able to use the "tap and burn War Ghoul to burn a location" effect.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 2, 2008
                      Hi All,

                      Ok, Anima Gathering has me confused.

                      +1 stealth action. [aus] Put this card on this acting vampire and choose
                      another minion you control. Burn this card if this minion untaps. During
                      your untap phase, you may choose not to untap this minion as normal. The
                      chosen minion gets +2 intercept. [AUS] As above, and the chosen minion
                      also gets +1 bleed

                      So let's say Rose (vampire with Minor aus) acts and chooses an
                      Ally/Minion. If Ally/Minion is untapped does it have +2 Intercept? Does
                      the act of receiving the Amina Gathering tap Ally/Minion? (it appears
                      Ally/Minion doesn't need to be tapped to receive the card, nor does it tap
                      it, and it is the controller of +2 Intercept ... provided it doesn't
                      untap)

                      So, untapped Ally/Minion (from the example above) taps performing some
                      action and is now tapped. It appears that as long as the owner chooses to
                      NOT untap Ally/Minion, Ally/Minion has +2 intercept. Correct?

                      It also appears that this +2 Intercept can only be played with cards that
                      allow it to play cards as if untapped like Wakes and Fillip for vamps
                      and/or On the Qui Vive for Allies/vamps, etc. Correct?

                      It appears that Rose Bears the card and the other Ally/Minion dictates the
                      fate of the card. Ally/Minion untaps, Rose burns the card ending the
                      Ally/Minion's +2 intercept.

                      What happens if Rose goes into Torpor? The effect dies, is dormant until
                      rescued, burned??? What happens in those cases? If the Ally/Minion gets
                      torpored, same questions? If the Ally/Minion burns, does Rose get to
                      choose a new Ally/Minion or does the card burn?

                      And finally, since Horatio never untaps, he remains the bearer of the card
                      and therefore, the +2 Intercept. Have I got it?

                      It's just odd enough to require questions. I'm sure my local group will
                      trip the first time it's brought into play.

                      And for giggles: How does a tapped Ally/Minion use +1 bleed if it can't
                      untap (except the first action after receiving the power as noted above).

                      Yeah, this one is popping my cork.

                      Thanks,

                      Richard
                    • Richard
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 2, 2008
                        When tapping The Erciyes Fragments, must one reveal the card that is
                        chosen to anyone? Let's say I want to reveal the card to prevent others
                        from stealing it based on the fact that it may require a discipline that
                        no other player has ... May I? Silly questions I suppose.

                        If The Erciyes Fragments has a card (computer hacking) on it during your
                        my untap phase does The Erciyes Fragments get untapped? This would allow
                        me to play the card (computer hacking) ON The Erciyes Fragments and then
                        tap it immediately (if chosen) to acquire another card (Wake).

                        Finally, I assume it's played like we've been playing The Barrens; in that
                        whenever it's untapped and you feel like tapping it (regardless of whose
                        turn it is) you may do so. This includes immediately after bringing into
                        the game.

                        Thanks,

                        Richard

                        An apparent believer in the "no stupid question" phrase.
                      • Richard
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 2, 2008
                          May an Ally retain the services of a retainer?

                          Like War Ghoul retains Jackie Therman as +1 stealth action?

                          Can't find anything that says no.

                          Richard
                        • Kellahan, Christopher
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 2, 2008
                            Rose plays the Anima. Rose is minion A. Rose chooses, say, a War Ghoul
                            as the recipient. War Ghoul is minion B.

                            The Anima card gets physically placed on A. It is A who does not have to
                            untap as normal. B gets the intercept. B can untap as normal and use the
                            intercept whenever they try and block, as normal (and get the +1 bleed
                            if it was played at superior).

                            If A untaps, the Anima burns.

                            If A goes to toropr, B still gets the intercept (and +1 bleed, if played
                            at superior)

                            If B burns, A does not get to choose a new Anima buddy. The card just
                            stays on A with no effect other than allowing A to not untap as normal
                            if A wants. Which is usually something you don't want, so you would most
                            likely untap A during your next untap phase and let the card burn.

                            ________________________________

[...]

                            IMPORTANT

                            The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged material. Any review, re-transmission, disclosure dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may result in severe penalties. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the Privacy Hotline of the Australian Taxation Office, telephone 13 28 69 and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.
                          • Kellahan, Christopher
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 2, 2008
                              The card needs to be announced when you tap the erciyes fragments. Just
                              like you can't say "I play a bum's rush to attack....someone" without
                              declaring the target of the card, so too you can't tap erciyes without
                              naming the target. So it'd be something like "I tap erciyes to place
                              Wake with evening's freshness on it".

                              once on erciyes, it's face down though, and only look at-able by you. so
                              if people have forgotten what's on it, you're free to tell them, but not
                              show them. but of course, when you tell them, there's nothing to stop
                              you lying....

                              and yeah, tap it pretty much whenever you want (except some weird 'in
                              the middle of resolution' type times, like if someone plays Trochomancy
                              on someone who only has just enough cards in their ash heap, you can't
                              tap Erciyes in the middle of the resolution of their Trochomany to grab
                              one of those cards that are being removed from the game...).

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 2, 2008
                                Correct. retainers go on minions. Both vampires and allies are minions.

                                note that some retainers are only usable by vampires, such as those that
                                require the burning of blood to use, or that have a blood cost to bring
                                into play.

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 2, 2008
                                  Really,

                                  Wow, that's very cool.

                                  I noted the unofficial stamp, I'll wait it out a bit.

                                  Thanks,

                                  Richard

                                • Kellahan, Christopher
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 2, 2008
                                    heh. the 'unofficial' thing is just part of my work's email security set
                                    up.

                                    having said that, I am just a regular old player, not LSJ, rules master
                                    extraordinaire (and official rules person). So my rules answers are
                                    indeed 'unofficial' as far as vtes goes. But i do believe I know how
                                    these things work (otherwise i wouldn't have bothered replying! :)

                                    regards,

                                    .chris.salem.

                                    ________________________________

                                    I noted the unofficial stamp, I'll wait it out a bit.

                                    Thanks,

                                    Richard

                                    > Rose plays the Anima. Rose is minion A. Rose chooses, say, a
                                    War Ghoul
                                    > as the recipient. War Ghoul is minion B.
                                    >
                                    > The Anima card gets physically placed on A. It is A who does
                                    not have to
                                    > untap as normal. B gets the intercept. B can untap as normal
                                    and use the
                                    > intercept whenever they try and block, as normal (and get the
                                    +1 bleed
                                    > if it was played at superior).
                                    >
                                    > If A untaps, the Anima burns.
                                    >
                                    > If A goes to toropr, B still gets the intercept (and +1 bleed,
                                    if played
                                    > at superior)
                                    >
                                    > If B burns, A does not get to choose a new Anima buddy. The
                                    card just
                                    > stays on A with no effect other than allowing A to not untap
                                    as normal
                                    > if A wants. Which is usually something you don't want, so you
                                    would most
                                    > likely untap A during your next untap phase and let the card
                                    burn.

                                    > ________________________________

                                  • LSJ
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 3, 2008
                                      Kellahan, Christopher wrote:

                                      > heh. the 'unofficial' thing is just part of my work's email security set
                                      > up.
                                      >
                                      > having said that, I am just a regular old player, not LSJ, rules master
                                      > extraordinaire (and official rules person). So my rules answers are
                                      > indeed 'unofficial' as far as vtes goes. But i do believe I know how
                                      > these things work (otherwise i wouldn't have bothered replying! :)
                                      >
                                      > regards,
                                      >
                                      > .chris.salem.

                                      You can take any answer given here as truth until and unless corrected by an
                                      official answer from the net.rep (that's me).