Re: [VTES] Is This A Good Deck? (Playing the Naus)

  • Matthew T. Morgan
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
      On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Steven M. Williams II wrote:

      > > 6 Drawing Out the Beast
      >
      > These will be real bad if you fight someone who's playing Celerity unless
      > you can match them with Grapples. He'll dodge and then hit you with
      > additional strikes at +1 strength. Drawing is great if people play with
      > guns and it's good against Tremere (probably why you beat them), but
      > against other combat decks it can be kind of risky. I usually just put in
      > maneuvers like Swallowed by the Night (doubles as stealth).
      >
      > - Are you daft? Any good Naus deck will understand that it will beat an
      > opponent with one good swing. They just have to pick the right
      > *coughsSCORPIONSSTINGcoughs* one. Manuevers can be easily beat by
      > Celerity, plus Drawing Out the Beast gives you one extra damage at the
      > end of combat. Just for added effect.

      No, I'm not daft, but thanks for asking. Scorpion Sting does not combo
      with Increased Strength, so it would be just a strike for 2.

      > > 4 Immortal Grapple
      >
      > You might consider Mighty Grapple. It's a pretty poor substitute for
      > Immortal, but at least you'll get a press to get past dodges or Fortitude.
      >
      > - Now I know you don't know what a Naus deck is about. Immortal Grapple
      > kills the dodges and you still get a press. Double read your cards
      > before suggesting.

      The player seeking advice only owns four Immortal Grapples. I wasn't
      recommending he replace those Immortal Grapples with Mighty Grapples. I
      was suggesting he suppliment the IGs with MGs. Try to pick up some
      context before you reply, please.

      > For more Specs, you can visit my Web Site, www.dreamforgeprime.com I
      > write the Ending the Struggle articles there and I recently did a big
      > article on both combat and focusing Potence for Combat. Two excellent
      > articles. Plus the other guys will offer more suggestions about the deck
      > if you post it on the DreamForge Idea Board.

      In your Potence article you recommend playing Twisting the Knife. I
      sentence you to five years as the prey of a weenie Dominate Anarch Revolt
      deck. When you've done your penance, you may come back and rudely
      criticize my advice again.

      Matt Morgan
    • DEREK BOWN
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
        at the end of the day a potence deck without something like celerity / fortitude to back it up or make it harder hitting (additional strikes that is) is quite tricky to pull off.

        It will always be vulnerable to potence/celerity decks or decks that hand out agg damage on a regular basis (please step forward brujah, assamites, gangrel et al)

        the animalism side of them does lend itself to some very good allies and retainers though... garou, wolfpack, raven spy, wolf companion etc etc so it might be worth shifting emphasis slightly... i used to play against a naus deck that worked that way and it was fairly effective.

        "Matthew T. Morgan" <farquar@...> wrote:
        On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Steven M. Williams II wrote:

        > > 6 Drawing Out the Beast
        >
        > These will be real bad if you fight someone who's playing Celerity unless
        > you can match them with Grapples. He'll dodge and then hit you with
        > additional strikes at +1 strength. Drawing is great if people play with
        > guns and it's good against Tremere (probably why you beat them), but
        > against other combat decks it can be kind of risky. I usually just put in
        > maneuvers like Swallowed by the Night (doubles as stealth).
        >
        > - Are you daft? Any good Naus deck will understand that it will beat an
        > opponent with one good swing. They just have to pick the right
        > *coughsSCORPIONSSTINGcoughs* one. Manuevers can be easily beat by
        > Celerity, plus Drawing Out the Beast gives you one extra damage at the
        > end of combat. Just for added effect.

        No, I'm not daft, but thanks for asking. Scorpion Sting does not combo
        with Increased Strength, so it would be just a strike for 2.

        > > 4 Immortal Grapple
        >
        > You might consider Mighty Grapple. It's a pretty poor substitute for
        > Immortal, but at least you'll get a press to get past dodges or Fortitude.
        >
        > - Now I know you don't know what a Naus deck is about. Immortal Grapple
        > kills the dodges and you still get a press. Double read your cards
        > before suggesting.

        The player seeking advice only owns four Immortal Grapples. I wasn't
        recommending he replace those Immortal Grapples with Mighty Grapples. I
        was suggesting he suppliment the IGs with MGs. Try to pick up some
        context before you reply, please.

        > For more Specs, you can visit my Web Site, www.dreamforgeprime.com I
        > write the Ending the Struggle articles there and I recently did a big
        > article on both combat and focusing Potence for Combat. Two excellent
        > articles. Plus the other guys will offer more suggestions about the deck
        > if you post it on the DreamForge Idea Board.

        In your Potence article you recommend playing Twisting the Knife. I
        sentence you to five years as the prey of a weenie Dominate Anarch Revolt
        deck. When you've done your penance, you may come back and rudely
        criticize my advice again.

        Matt Morgan

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Steven M. Williams II
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
          Re-read. I do not recommend playing. I explain that I understand how some people may use the card, and explain that it does have it's place, but I take it as an insult to say that I told people to play it. Unless I missed another typo.

          Immortal Grapples are like a quarter at www.diverzions.com It's not that hard to get a few.

        • Colin McGuigan
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
            Steven M. Williams II wrote:
            > Immortal Grapples are like a quarter at www.diverzions.com It's not that hard to get a few.

            50 cents, actually, but it's irrelevant, since they've been sold out of
            Immortal Grapple (not to mention Taste of Vitae, Psyche!, Torn Signpost,
            and a host of other "necessary" combat cards) for...um...as long as I've
            known they've existed. At least since Black Hand came out, if not earlier.

            --Colin McGuigan