Re: Shoes and stuff

  • Jeff Washburn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2000
      Folks,

      Well, I'm back from my training run at Western States. I had hoped
      that it would be 100 miles but, unfortunately, it was only 55. I
      just didn't have the zip I needed to stay ahead of the cutoffs. I
      had no ill effects but I guess I just haven't yet recovered from my 6-
      Day run. I was not encouraged by my effort. I can probably forget
      about breaking 24 hours and just try to get to the finish.

      As for shoes, I have not found the Montrail Vitesse to have a large
      toe-box. My toes seem to push against the inside toe of the shoe.
      And I blister on the balls of my feet when I wear them without duct
      tape. They could be used at Vermont but they must fit you well so
      that your feet do not slip inside them. If your feet slide inside
      your shoes, the bottoms of your feet will be covered with blisters.
      My cure for blisters has been to use a shoe (Asics 2040 and Nimbus in
      my case) that is a full size larger than my foot size, but one in
      which my foot will not slip. In this way, my toes never touch the
      end of my shoes and my feet remain blister free. Also, if your socks
      cram your toes together, you will get the blisters between the toes
      in the same manner as with a too small toe box. There is so much
      downhill at Vermont that you must make certain that your feet do not
      slide inside your shoes.

      Let's hope the weather cooperates and I'll see you all there. I'm
      not sure how quickly I'll get to the finish, but I definitely plan to
      get there.

      Talk later,
      Jeff Washburn