[vt100] Eastern Steps Series

  • Frank Probst
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13, 2000
      Eric: If I get accepted to Laurel and VT, I will be chasing your young
      legs through this series. Hopefully I will have enough sense to just
      watch you disappear over the horizon and start out easy. However, I
      have been known to try and keep up with you guys for the first part of
      an ultra and then things get ugly. I have been to VT twice and
      struggled both times. The first time I quit about mile 80 something
      after that long hill Jeff talked about. The second time, I felt just
      as bad going up that hill, but just kept on going. I am still trying
      to learn the patience you need to pace these things. I had big stomach
      troubles up there both times too. I have a lot of trouble with my
      stomach, especially when it gets warm. I now get by on gels, energy
      drinks, and maple syrup, and often have a hard time even with the gels
      after about 40 miles. Hopefully your stomach will be better to you in
      your first 100. See you at Holiday Lake.

      Frank
    • eric ivey
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2000
        Frank -
        I also have a lot of problems with my stomach. At my first 50, JFK, I made
        4 or 5 pit stops, which I estimate added 30 minutes to my time. I've really
        tried working on it over the last few months and haven't had any problems in
        my recent long runs. I think that as long as I use sodium tabs and eat a
        relatively dry breakfast I'm ok. During my runs I've been using Clif Shots,
        which are brown rice syrup based, rather than fructose, and that seems to
        work for sub-50 milers. I know that I'm going to have to try some more
        solid foods for the longer runs, so I'm experimenting with potatoes and dry
        pasta and rice. I guess it's all just a guessing game for the first few
        tries.
        See ya saturday!

        Eric