Re: [vt100] shoe question

  • The Tiskas'
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 20 6:27 PM
      Not to be repetitive about blisters... but where were your blisters, Sue???
      I am trying to find out if my point of the open toe area in the montrails
      works for others and not just me... Stan

    • runtrails1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 20 10:21 PM
        In a message dated 6/20/00 7:41:15 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
        tiska@... writes:

        > Not to be repetitive about blisters... but where were your blisters, Sue???
        > I am trying to find out if my point of the open toe area in the montrails
        > works for others and not just me... Stan

        On every toe, but that usually doesn't bother me. I wasn't even aware of
        those blisters until I took my shoes off and tried (unsuccessfully) to do
        some damage control ~ 81 miles (I dropped 4 miles after that - went out
        from Bill's and returned to officially drop). No, what got me were the
        large "hot spots" on the bottoms of both feet; the skin didn't even separate
        until a day or two later, then I could see they were about 2x3" in size. If
        the remainder of the race had been on roads, I could have walked and
        finished; I had 8 or 9 hours left. But the uneven fields and trails became
        too painful to bear as I slid around in the Sauconys. A dry pair of sox at
        81 miles made the problem even worse; I just slid around more.

        I still get some blisters on my toes with the Vitesses, whether they are
        snug or loose, but these trail shoes are more protective and keep
        my feet and ankles much more stable on uneven terrain than road shoes.
        I don't really know if the larger toe box helps, but it sounds reasonable.

        The other factor that seems to cause me to blister is dust. Mud and
        water seem to *protect* me from blisters. On a dusty course like VT
        can be, my game plan will be to start with a couple Compeed bandages,
        liberally apply foot goo (vaseline, A & D ointment, Desitin, aloe vera
        cream, and Vit. E cream), change sox every 20 miles or so, and put
        on a larger pair of Vitesses when my feet feel like they've swollen
        later in the race. And now when I feel "hot spots" developing, I stop
        and put Elasticon tape or Compeed on the area BEFORE they become
        debilitating.

        Hope some of this helps somebody!
        Sue Norwood
      • Pero, Stephen M
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 21 10:52 AM
          Hi Karen...

          I think for the most part, that Montrails are too much shoe for Vermont 100,
          but that's just my opinion. Vermont is mostly a road course and one would
          need a good amount of cushioning to protect Your legs and knees, etc. from
          the pounding on the downhills.

          In '98 though, I did wear Asics trail shoes and was fine. This year my plan
          is to wear my Asics 2050's until CTB#1, switch to my Asics Nandi's (for a
          change of feeling) and then change back into my 2050's at CTB#2. This is
          what I also did in '98. It seemed to give the midsoles in the shoes a rest
          while I was out on the tough CTB loop. The EVA got a lot of their
          springiness back and felt like a new pair of shoes.

          If the Montrails are comfortable for You, then by all means wear them...I
          would just suggest that You also have Your 2050's at CTB in case You decide
          You want something a bit softer to run on.

          seeya soon,
          Steve P.
        • Martha
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 21 1:19 PM
            Has anybody tried the new Montrail Leona Divide? According to comments
            I received from some Ultra List members recently, the Leona Divide is a
            better shoe for Vermont's roads as opposed to rocky trails (although I
            saw that Courtney was wearing them at Laurel Highlands).

            Maybe a heavy duty running shoe like the Gel Kayano would be good,
            although I usually find that the 2050 is enough shoe for me. I also
            like the Asics Nandi's -- they're light and comfy, yet stable --
            unfortunately, they're a little wide for my foot for really long runs.

            Martha

            --- "Pero, Stephen M" <peros@...> wrote:
            > Hi Karen...
            >
            > I think for the most part, that Montrails are too much shoe for
            > Vermont 100,
            > but that's just my opinion. Vermont is mostly a road course and one
            > would
            > need a good amount of cushioning to protect Your legs and knees, etc.
            > from
            > the pounding on the downhills.
            >
            > In '98 though, I did wear Asics trail shoes and was fine. This year
            > my plan
            > is to wear my Asics 2050's until CTB#1, switch to my Asics Nandi's
            > (for a
            > change of feeling) and then change back into my 2050's at CTB#2. This
            > is
            > what I also did in '98. It seemed to give the midsoles in the shoes a
            > rest
            > while I was out on the tough CTB loop. The EVA got a lot of their
            > springiness back and felt like a new pair of shoes.
            >
            > If the Montrails are comfortable for You, then by all means wear
            > them...I
            > would just suggest that You also have Your 2050's at CTB in case You
            > decide
            > You want something a bit softer to run on.
            >
            > seeya soon,
            > Steve P.

            > SALESFORCE.COM MAKES SOFTWARE OBSOLETE
            > Secure, online sales force automation with 5 users FREE for 1 year!

            http://im.yahoo.com/
          • Pero, Stephen M
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 21 1:23 PM
              Hi Martha...

              I tried on the Leona Divide's at REI and I didn't like the fit. They were
              too wide for my foot and I felt possible hot spots...now realize that I do
              like the Nandi's and love the Montrail Vitesse.

              seeya,
              Steve Pero

            • eric ivey
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 21 4:12 PM
                I wore Leona Divide's for part of LHT and plan on wearing them for a lot
                of VT (will also wear NB 761 road shoes). Good shoe with a big toebox
                and plenty of cushion and support.
                Eric