Re: [vt100] trivia question

  • thewashman@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 1969
      Deb,

      One of the biggest and hottest clinmb is just after the Lincoln Covered Bridge (the second covered bridge). The toughest climb is a couple of miles after Ten Bear (First time) which goes straight up an old stream bed. There is also a very long climb after Tracer Brook which goes on forever. And, of course, the climb up Blood Hill ending around 88 miles. The final climb can be tough as well but you usually smell the barn by then and get up it quickly.

      Talk later,
      Jeff Washburn
    • eric ivey
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 16, 2000
        According to the elevation map......12 miles? about 900 ft in 5
        miles...

      • reno_debra@emc.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 16, 2000
          hmmmm.. then it's earlier than I thought.. you must be looking at the
          elevation profile...
          I was thinking that Blood Hill right at the end was one of the larger
          climbs... or maybe it just seems that way!!!
          deb

        • Raney Maj Johnny R
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 19, 2000
            The biggest climb is getting out of bed on Saturday morning to start the
            race, all downhill after that.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 19, 2000

              Is that the one that goes up the field? I remember one that we
              turned off a road onto a grassy trail going through a meadow up, up, up the
              hill...

              > The toughest climb is a couple of miles after Ten Bear (First time) which
              > goes straight up an old stream bed.

              Funny, I don't remember the up hill on this one, but I do remember a
              long downhill - as I recall, I ran with Jose Wilke sometime around there -
              he was on his way to his 14 hundred milers...

              > There is also a very long climb after Tracer Brook which goes on
              > forever. And, of course, the climb up Blood Hill ending around 88 miles.
              > The final climb can be tough as well but you usually smell the barn by
              > then and get up it quickly.

              I do not remember feeling like Blood HIll was all that terrible...
              or maybe I was just half unconcious by then....

              Please God let it be cooler this year!!!
              deb
            • reno_debra@emc.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 19, 2000
                ha! as I recall from last year, the worst hill was that 12 inch step up to
                the porta potties the day AFTER the run.. I remember seeing runners standing
                there at the door to the port a potty, trying to decide if it was really
                worth it.... now THAT would make a good cover photo for UR!!!

                smiles,
                deb r.

              • Pero, Stephen M
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 20, 2000
                  > > The toughest climb is a couple of miles after Ten Bear
                  > (First time) which
                  > > goes straight up an old stream bed.
                  > >
                  > Funny, I don't remember the up hill on this one, but I
                  > do remember a
                  > long downhill - as I recall, I ran with Jose Wilke sometime
                  > around there -
                  > he was on his way to his 14 hundred milers...

                  It was here that I first hurled...on the top of that hill. I was mixing some
                  Clip and Rena Shuman was with Me and said "Hey, We're on the same diet" and
                  as She was saying that was pouring a cup of Coke and asked if I'd like some.
                  It sure looked good, so I said sure and as soon as I got it down, within
                  seconds, it came back up on the road. She then said "Oh, I guess that won't
                  be on Your diet"
                  I ate fruit and water until the night after that episode...

                  seeya 3 weeks from Friday,
                  Steve Pero