[vt100] VT 100 Advice

  • Jeff Washburn
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2000
      Howdy group,

      Having started all eleven VT 100's and finishing nine of them (68 and
      60 miles on the DNF's), I could probably help you with some advice
      (with the exception of how to train, I don't train with any
      specificity). One thing you will need to be able to do is run
      downhill, a lot. Granted, there is as much uphill as downhill;
      however, the uphills can be walked and the downhills should be run.
      Some uphills and downhills can be as long as three miles in length.
      One of the worst climbs comes from mile 84 to mile 88 (Blood Hill). It
      is on dirt road but it goes on forever and is late enough in the race
      to be a pain. The trail sections are, for the most part, easy. The
      scenery is spectacular. Since the race takes place mostly on dirt
      roads, you can make good time even at night. Make sure to have one
      good flashlight and at least one spare. It does get cool in the early
      morning after mile 90 as you run near a stream but usually it doesn't
      get very cold. Last year notwithstanding, it doesn't usually get
      extremely hot either. Temperatures will range between 45 and 85 with
      extremes at 30 and 98. There are plenty of aid stations but I would
      recommend carrying at least one water bottle. Some sections can seem
      to take forever to get through. If you finish Laurel Highlands, you
      can finish any 100 in the country. I have yet to finish that one;
      however, the cutoff has been 18 hours the times that I attempted it.
      If you have any specific questions, just bring them on. Bill, I'll see
      you at Bull Run. I'm crewing and not running. 25 GAC runners will be
      toeing the line there.

      Talk later,
      Jeff Washburn