vermont

  • Ed Schultze
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2000
      Hi eric and fellow runners
      i wished I had known this list was up and running months ago. I only
      participated a bit in the mmt list but benefited greatly from the
      wealth of information that was shared so generously. I completed mmt
      but dnf-ed at Laurel- I believe largely due to heat but possibly also
      related to not enough recovery from mmt and possibly too much
      hydration. I am actually in the process of posing my question to Karl
      King. Since my first dnf, I have been relentlessly reading and
      researching possible problems and came acros a cite on Kevin Sayers
      webpage on heat aclimation that discussed overhydration. I had
      previously thought that one could not over hydrate but despite
      doubling my succeed intake, drinking a lot and alternating netween
      clip and amino, I suffered naggin nauseousness from about mile 6 to
      mile 46 and then threw in the towel.I know I can run a 100 as I have
      and I know I can run without stomach problems. If anyone has any good
      advice or can point me to good advice on possible overhydration and
      just general heat acclimation, I would really appreciate it. For
      those of you that did finish Laurel and I know a few of you on this
      list did: Congratualtions, and I agree 100% that it is a beautiful
      course, a perefect example of a trail ultra AND I WILL ADD that Tim
      HEwitt did a great job as RD!! He was terrific. There was great aid,
      I happened to meet his mother and kids who were volunteering at aide
      stations and then saw he and his wife doing the sweeping. In
      addition, I saw him handle a problem with a runner in one of the best
      ways I can imagine. He really runs a good run.
      Eric thanks for starting this list. BTW: I live in Gaithersburg,
      Maryland and pass by Columbia frequently (just did an hour ago). If
      you have an interest in some light pre-Vermont training, let me know'

      Ed Schultze

      Good luck to all