Training

  • Martha
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21 9:58 AM
      Hello, Frank & Jeff! Jeff, thanks for your recent reply to my inquiry
      about Laurel Highlands; I hope to be well prepared. I'm signed up for
      Vermont now, too.

      I'm averaging about 50 miles per week, with a weekly long run of at
      least 20-25 miles. My longest training runs have been 5 and 7 hours.
      Tomorrow we're doing 6 hours on trails; next weekend 10 hours on trails
      (this will be the longest training run). LH and VT will be my first
      races over 50 miles, so I want to make sure I have enough training time
      in. Do you think this is enough to be ready for LH? Should I squeeze
      in a long run during the 5 weeks between LH & Vermont?

      Jeff, good luck at MMT100 and Frank, looking forward to seeing you at
      LH!
      Martha
      mpholden@...

      http://invites.yahoo.com
    • Frank Probst
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 23 6:30 PM
        Hey Jeff, Martha, and Deb. Sorry we will miss Jeff at Laurel.
        MMT is getting close. Sounds like everyone is getting in much more
        training than I am. I only did 7 miles each day this weekend. Still
        resting up from BRR. Martha and Deb definitely sound like you both
        be quite ready for Vermont. Six hours trail and 54 miles respectively
        this weekend makes me feel a bit guilty, but I did get some yard work
        done.

        Martha, if Laurel is as tough as I expect, you may need some time
        afterwards to recover. You also do not want to do a real long run
        the week before Vermont. I usually do not go more than 14 miles as
        my long run the week before an ultra. I will probably limit my long
        runs to 18 to 20 miles between those two events. Of course, I am a
        lot older than you and do not recover as quickly as you youngsters.

        Deb, who could forget that bus ride back from the "Best" Trail Race
        in the east. I really enjoyed the conversation, but not the bus rides
        on both ends. I think LH would be a very good run between MMT and
        Vermont. Jeff has been there many times and he describes LH as a
        tough run. In past years, you could only run LH if you had a crew.
        This will be my first attempt as I am almost always crewless
        (probably clueless too). My biggest concern is heat. I am by no
        means a flower, but I certainly wilt in the heat. I missed Vermont
        the year it was nice and cool, and worry about heat there too. LH is
        another point to point and they have a bus. I do not know which end
        of the run the bus will be on. There certainly should be enough time
        after LH to be fully recovered for Vermont. It is going to be an
        interesting summer.

        Frank