[vt100] Welcome Steve and Deb

  • Frank Probst
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11, 2000
      I have not checked this group for awhile since the mail was stuck on 14
      messages. Am really glad to see new posts from Steve and Deb. That
      was a great Vermont time you had Steve. I always felt like I should be
      able to do sub-20 at Vermont, but have never even come close. I do not
      do well in the heat and even Vermont gets hot in July

      Deb asked if Vermont fills up. I did not want to take a chance and
      already have my acceptance back. Rocky Racoon had a record crowd this
      year and Umstead filled. There are just more and more people entering
      these 100s. These things are tough to plan. When you enter early, you
      risk not being able do the race because of injury, emergency, or other
      things beyond your control, but waiting too long could result in not
      getting in. I do not know if Vermont normally fills up.

      Best wishes to all in their training and runs leading up to Vermont.

      Frank Probst, Burke VA
    • Reno_Debra@emc.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2000
        Hi Frank,

        thanks for the welcome... I hope to send in my Vermont app. before too much
        longer...
        But first, Massanutten looms on the horizon!..
        Last year's Vermont was certainly hot - no question about that... it got to
        the point where every little slimey green pond that we passed was lookin'
        inviting! Hopefully, this year's weather will be an improvement! But then,
        we'll have no excuse....
        I've seen your name on the ultra list....

        smiles,
        deb r.

      • Pero, Stephen M
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2000
          Hi Frank...

          From seeing some of Your times at other runs, I am sure You should be sub 20
          at Vermont.
          I will say that when I did this, I had an almost perfect pacing strategy and
          will attempt to continue this at Massannutten (in 8 weeks from today) and
          again at Vermont. Below are my splits:

          Name Plc PlcHalf Time Fin 48.3 Bib Age Sex
          Pero, Steve (MA) 23 42 19:45:03 9:58:03 156 46 M

          So, all I can say is that pace is probably the biggest factor in these
          things. FYI: Ian Torrence and Joe Hildebrand were the top two best paced
          runners in the field with me being the 9th.

          I am planning on sending in my app soon to prevent being shut out...'98 was
          the first year Vermont filled (about 2 weeks before race day) and last year
          I believe it was filed a month ahead, so I'd say get Your apps in by the end
          of May to insure an acceptance...but of course, that's all a guess.

          seeya soon and best of luck in Your training.
          Steve Pero
          peros@...